Newbie: How to use the Expiration Delay Metadata

I think I’m kind of on the same page that’s why I asked some clarifying question about how the device and stick were reset between the old system and new. The device could still have the old system zstick ID and be sending the manual messages to the wrong ID, but responding to OH messages too? Will need to see the answers.

My GE devices are not ZW+ and I don’t think his is either.
Bob

OK, I went back and looked at my “old system” carefully - note that it was a purchased system that came up and “just worked” as I more or less wanted, so never really bothered to look under the covers as to how it was accomplishing what it was. But now I did, and after a few different experiments and poking around I discovered that the way it “just worked” was:

• If the thing is a newer model item that supports associations, it uses the associations/lifeline to get updates.
  • If the thing is a legacy item with no associations, it simply polls it every 30 seconds. :scream:

So, at least the mystery of “but it used to work before!” is solved. I really think this is not going to work without polling. I know and understand how much of an anathema that is- trust me I have a Master’s in CS, and over 4 decades of experience in various systems including RF (but not ZWave), and understand that the use of polling in an inherently event-driven system is to be avoided. But, I don’t really see a way around it, without going out and spending 100’s of $$ on new ZWave+ equipment, since most of my equipment is legacy.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Otherwise, we can consider this topic closed.

I was wondering about that option. However, I have a graveyard of zwave devices that I didn’t like how they work and just buy newer and better having learned what to look for. Although retired, I do value my time. If it’s just the one switch, in the US about $30 for 700 series, longer range, etc. versus getting a non-ZW+ device to work. Anyway best wishes. I hope I was helpful in someway.

Bob

Are you kidding? You were EXTREMELY helpful, as were the others on this thread! I do get this is a passion for you all, and deeply appreciate the time that you take to clarify things for new users. I am getting started on this journey, and you are right, I probably will start replacing items one by one to make it easier on the budget. There are only 2 or 3 items that I need reporting to the controller on state change, and those I can have polled. The others are exclusively controlled by the controller buttons, and those I don’t need to poll. Anyway, I will start off with that, and see where I get.

Figuring out scripting is my next learning curve!

Again, thanks so much for taking the time!