Next generation design: A Paper UI replacement proposal

Is it included in the docker “2.5.0-snapshot” images ?

https://hub.docker.com/r/openhab/openhab/

The docker images are kept up to date with the daily snapshots.

1 Like

Could not find it in the snapshot build. :sweat_smile:

Should the PaperUI NG be listed as a UserInterface to be installed from within the current PaperUI ?

Would like to try it and play with it :slight_smile:

It is not installable via paperui unfortunately.

Fortunately it also doesn’t need to be for being used. I’ll add a description later today.

2 Likes

Sounds great. Hoping to have some sparetime then to test it!

Old Textual modes with a UI front-end should be the way to go. I you remove the old textual mode then you are removing many OH users. Personally, I spent a few days clicking around to get the new MQTT 2.4 working, however I went back.

Think about Windows and Linux. In Linux you still can use the command and many scripts.

UI driven programming is good for newcomers without coding experience, but not if you have already ~100 items.

I do not want to stop upgrading, however if old textual configuration vanish, I will.

2 Likes

Wrong thread. And I don’t care about your opinion regarding textual config :wink:

1 Like

ok, I will move from DavidHAB to OpenHAB thread.

6 Likes

is there UI request " page " so we can see requested items/things that are good ideas or not pratcical etc

1 Like

You mean like a wish list and Todo list? Sure. Just use GitHub.

Dear @David_Graeff, is there any progress on that topic? I was really enjoying the discussions, hoping to see that stuff in one of the next releases.

Could just quickly comment on the future of your initiative?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Yannick is developing the unified UI for openHAB.

My proposal here is a lot more sophisticated. I have identified problems in the backend http interface, proposed new API endpoints, modernized and simplified OH core code. But OH core development is slow as hell. (The core maintainers are busy fighting Java. I can understand that. They do not have time to develop new features or replace grandpa-aged subsystems.)

I’m no longer participating in core development and I’m developing my own smarthome system for my personal uses. My UI has been moved to my repository and is no longer OH compatible.

Cheers, David

2 Likes

These are bad news. I was already looking forward to your new interface.

does this also mean that you will no longer participate in the development of the mqtt binding?

3 Likes

I do reviews for MQTT PRs. If it comes to code I’m currently only contributing small patches, no feature PRs.

@miwok: That does not mean that there is no development in MQTT.

1 Like

Absolutely. Jan and Jochen (HomeAssistant MQTT) are doing all the important bits and pieces right now. MQTT v2.5 will be a very good release as far as I can tell.

Though I of course understand your arguments, but I’d love to see not only small PRs from you. Would love to see some of your ideas making it into core for the next major release :slightly_smiling_face: @David_Graeff

7 Likes

Another UI

I love the idea and the look.
I hope future openHAB releases try to merge the many different UIs (classic UI, basic UI, Paper UI, Habpanel) to one single end-user framework with both “packaged” widgets et templates for easy and fast design and advanced customization for power-users (in the same logic as what NextGen rule is moving to).