No MQTT bindings in OpenHab2 add ons at all!

I’ve read until I have a headache. I’ve installed OpenHab2 on a Pi3 and Mosquitto and can control a Tasmota Sonoff switch using MQTT fx. the problem is that I don’t see MQTT bindings in add-ons at all. I’ve gone to Github and downloaded MQTT bindings 1.9 , but no matter what I do, I can’t find where they go. I’ve followed intructions to the letter and I’m blocked at every turn.

Are you using the Paper UI?

The MQTT binding should be available for install under Add-ons/Bindings :

Yes, the Paper UI. I keep seeing everybody saying it should be, but it isn’t. I see a lot of people talking about a Karaf Console, but I see no such thing either. It’s as if i have a completely different version.

Seems you have not enabled OH1 bindings yet. In question of karaf: openHAB is an OSGI software, and karaf is the underlying software, so you can’t install or uninstall karaf, it’s just there. To use the karaf console, you have to login through ssh. See https://docs.openhab.org/administration/console.html#connecting-via-ssh

Is this on the right, under add-on manager, what you’re talking about?

This is what I meant about being blocked at every turn. I can’t run ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost on the Pi, because every keyboard I use, doesn’t give me the @ symbol when I press the shift key.

Press the ‘alt’ key and type 64 to get the @ symbol. (at least on a windows machine).

@Saracen

That doesn’t work on the Pi and I have to do it from the Pi, because that file is blocked from outside access for security reasons. I could expose it to all interfaces, but i don’t know enough about Linux syntax to get to the proper directories. This entire process couldn’t be any more difficult if it were done purposely.

Please login to your Pi via putty.

I’m logged in.

I suggest using openHABian, this takes away a lot of headache if not familiar with Linux.
You can still use your existing config, just backup and later restore it to the openHABian system.

That makes it even harder to troubleshoot your problem, it seems you have a very specific setup and it is not possible to help from a 4 line opening post.
If you don’t want to change to openHABian you should provide more details:

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version:
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:

if logged in via putty, the @ should work, so you can use

ssh openhab@localhost -p8101

to login to the karaf console…

I am using OpenHabian and I read that the karaf console was only open to the machine running OpenHabian, which is the Pi, but I’ll try it.

Like I thought, the connection is refused. I need to know how to get into the correct file in openhab so I can expose the karaf console to my computer and not just the host Pi.

Easiest way is to have a look at the docs: :innocent:

https://docs.openhab.org/administration/console.html#bind-console-to-all-interfaces

@sihui

I followed these specific instructions from Openhab, to the letter:

Raspberry Pi
Flash, plug, wait, enjoy: The provided image is based on the Raspbian Lite standard system. On first boot the system will set up openHAB and the mentioned settings and tools. All packages will be downloaded in their newest version and configured to work without further modifications. The whole process will take a few minutes, then openHAB and all other needed tools to get started will be ready to use without further configuration steps. openHABian is designed as a headless system, you will not need a display or a keyboard.

Learn more about the Raspberry Pi as your platform for openHAB and about the requirements over in our Raspberry Pi article.

Setup:

Download the latest “openHABianPi” SD card image file (Note: the file is xz compressed)
Write the image to your SD card (e.g. with Etcher, able to directly work with xz files)
Insert the SD card into the Raspberry Pi, connect Ethernet (Wi-Fi supported) and power
Wait approximately 15-45 minutes for openHABian to do its magic
Enjoy! :tada:

The device will be available under its IP or via the local DNS name openhabianpi
Connect to the openHAB 2 dashboard: http://openhabianpi:8080
Connect to the Samba network shares with username openhabian and password openhabian
Connect to the openHAB Log Viewer (frontail): http://openhabianpi:9001
If you encounter any setup problem, please continue here
You can stop reading now. openHABian has installed and configured your openHAB system and you can start to use it right away. If you want to get in touch with the system or want to install one of the previously mentioned optional features, you can come back here later.

I pointed to the docs hopefully solving your karaf login problem :sunglasses:

@sihui

Thanks, I guess I’m now logged into the karaf console on the Pi. I’m currently trying to follow the instructions for opening the console to my computer, but I don’t understand what to do. I typed in “$OPENHAB_CONF/services”, then I guess I was in “services”. Then I typed in “/etc/openhab2/services/runtime.cfg” that of course didn’t work. I’m accustomed to following directions that say type “this” then type “this” and so on until the task is completed. What am i doing wrong?

This already has been explained in this thread:
install putty, connect via ssh into your server and type
ssh -p 8101 openhab@localhost

BUT: if you are completely new to openHAB (and maybe also Linux), why would you go to the console?
Just go to PaperUI and do your setup via GUI.