No sending from KNX2 binding

Hi all,

Coming from openHAB 2.1 and a working KNX1 binding I tried to migrate to openHAB 2.3 and KNX2 binding (test install so far).

I managed to connect to the “bridge” and I see events coming from the bus (“…Received a Group Write telegram…”) but I cannot send anything.

When I switch or dim the light via BasicUI nothing happens and nothing shows up in the ETS bus monitor either. On the other hand no errors in the logs (set to TRACE).

So here is my config:

knx.things

Bridge knx:ip:bridge "IP Interface"
[ 
    type="TUNNEL",
    ipAddress="192.168.1.23",
    portNumber=3671,
    readingPause=50,
    responseTimeout=10,
    readRetriesLimit=3,
    autoReconnectPeriod=5,
    localSourceAddr="12.12.251",
    localIp="192.168.1.42"
]
{
    Thing device SCN-LIGHT "Light Control"
    {
        Type    switch      :      EVG_41_switch     "Licht schalten"       [ ga="1/1/41+<1/4/41" ]
        Type    dimmer      :      demoDimmer        "Licht dimmen"         [ switch="1/1/41+<1/4/41", position="1/3/41+<1/7/41", increaseDecrease="1/2/41" ]
    }
}

// test.items

Switch      Office_Light_Spots_sw              "Arbeitslicht schalten"      { knx = "knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT:EVG_41_switch" }
Dimmer      Office_Light_Spots_dm              "Arbeitslicht dimmen"        { knx = "knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT:demoDimmer" }

// test.sitemap

sitemap test label="Test Sitemap" 
{
    Frame label="First frame"
    {
      Default item=Office_Light_Spots_sw
      Default item=Office_Light_Spots_dm
    }
}

And here the logs:
openhab.log

al.client.AbstractKNXClient] - Bridge knx:ip:bridge is connecting to the KNX bus
[DEBUG] [binding.knx.internal.client.IPClient] - Establishing connection to KNX bus on 192.168.1.23:3671 in mode TUNNEL.
[TRACE] [nx.internal.client.AbstractKNXClient] - Received a Group Write telegram from '12.12.250' to '1/1/41'
[DEBUG] [.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler] - Thing 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' received a Group Write telegram from '12.12.250' for destination '1/1/41'
[TRACE] [.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler] - Thing 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' processes a Group Write telegram for destination '1/1/41' for channel 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT:EVG_41_switch'
[TRACE] [g.knx.internal.dpt.KNXCoreTypeMapper] - toType datapoint DPT = 1.001
[TRACE] [.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler] - Thing 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' processes a Group Write telegram for destination '1/1/41' for channel 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT:demoDimmer'
[TRACE] [nx.internal.client.AbstractKNXClient] - Received a Group Write telegram from '12.12.15' to '1/4/41'
[DEBUG] [.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler] - Thing 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' received a Group Write telegram from '12.12.15' for destination '1/4/41'
[TRACE] [.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler] - Thing 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' processes a Group Write telegram for destination '1/4/41' for channel 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT:EVG_41_switch'
[TRACE] [.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler] - Thing 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' processes a Group Write telegram for destination '1/4/41' for channel 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT:demoDimmer'

events.log

[hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'knx:ip:bridge' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
[hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'knx:ip:bridge' changed from INITIALIZING to UNKNOWN
[hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
[hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE)
[hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'knx:ip:bridge' changed from UNKNOWN to ONLINE
[hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'knx:device:bridge:SCN-LIGHT' changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE) to ONLINE
[ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'Office_Light_Spots_sw' received command ON
[vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Office_Light_Spots_sw changed from NULL to ON
[ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item 'Office_Light_Spots_sw' received command OFF
[vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Office_Light_Spots_sw changed from ON to OFF

Hint: 12.12.250 is the “busaddr”-setting from KNX1 binding - my productive system which runs on another machine. I also tested everything with my productive system switched off.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Hello,

just a wild guess… but I encountered the same problem as you have - though having a little different log entries.
You might want to also update your autoReconnectPeriod to 60 or so (higher that your responseTimeout).

check my post if this sounds similar:
https://community.openhab.org/t/oh2-3-with-knx2-not-connecting-to-knx-bus/47438/2?u=drcoffee

at least for now the above solution works…

Finally I found the reason. The KNX2 binding uses “channel” instead of “knx” in item definition :man_facepalming:

I guess a log message for the “unknown channel” when parsing the items-file would have been helpful.

@DrCoffee: Thanks anyway!

Trouble is {knx= … } is still valid for 1.x bindings, it cannot guess you meant a channel.