No sudo on openHABian 64bit

Just burned 64bit OpenHabian to an SD card, planning to immediately migrate to OH3 through openhabian-config. But on step one after powering up the pi:

[10:08:53] openhabian@openHABianDevice:~$ sudo openhabian-config
[sudo] password for openhabian:
openhabian is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
[10:09:10] openhabian@openHABianDevice:~$

Burned image again and tried this twice with the same result.

The 32bit OpenHabian image did not have this problem, which is what I’m now proceeding with.

2 Likes

moved your post as it was off topic

64bit openHABian is completely untested so not even BETA. The release notes and warnings on the download location told you so, didn’t they.
Install again using debugmode=maximum before booting from the flashed image, open an issue on Github and post the log.

I am unable to replicate this fault.

I can confirm this error, it happened to me the exact same way.
By the way, I use an RPi 4/8Gb.

So now that at least you two have hit that same error (“errors” on unsupported software? well …) where’s your Github issue contribution with a log needed to track the cause down ?

Hey all,
I’m new here.
Just installed OpenHab for the first time on my RPI (used the openhabian RC image) and got the same issue… openhabian is not in the sudoers file.

Root login: pi pwd: raspberry -> you can fix sudo access for openhabian.

2 Likes

Please install again from scratch if you have a 8G RPi4 using debugmode=maximum and upload /boot/first-boot.log in a new GitHub issue. Without a log of a reproduced instance of the issue we cannot do anything about it.

Same problem here with the latest beta release. The following command fixes it, afterwards log in again:

sudo adduser openhabian sudo

However, I wonder why there is a separate pi account? Which should I use for configuration purpose?

The pi account is there by Raspberry Pi OS default and gets renamed to openhabian or whatever admin username you provide.
This does not seem to work with the 64 bit image.

Reminder: the 64 bit image is unsupported

But you can still run an installation with debugmode=maximum and upload the log together with a Github issue, maybe some kind soul has the time to look into it.

But you can still run an installation with debugmode=maximum and upload the log together with a Github issue, maybe some kind soul has the time to look into it.

There is already an issue: openhab/openhabian#1313. For me personally, the expenditures of setting up my pi would be too high …

Reminder: the 64 bit image is unsupported

On the release page, it was displayed as beta, but surely not as unsupported. But of course bugs can also be found in the beta version only. :slight_smile:

I see - it’s easier when others do it for you.
Then are you willing to at least refund me the 2 or 3 SD cards I burnt during those countless installations I ran for your benefit ?

Nope, see Releases · openhab/openhabian · GitHub
Being the maintainer I’m pretty sure I know what I’m talking about.

It was not my intention to sound offending to you. One of my 2 SD cards in total recently broke for unknown reasons and the other one is needed for my productivity system. I don’t have any further cards available right now …

Nope, see Releases · openhab/openhabian · GitHub
Being the maintainer I’m pretty sure I know what I’m talking about.

Alright, I see that you wrote there that the 64-bit version is untested. Nevertheless, the attribute “beta” in the filename means to me that this version has been tested to a certain degree. So actually it is rather an alpha version? (“Alpha software is not thoroughly tested by the developer before it is released to customers. Alpha software may contain serious errors, and any resulting instability could cause crashes or data loss.”) It’s a matter of definitions, I know … but for software/dev enthusiasts like me, it would be great to be able to rely on certain stages of maturity in order to test a maximum of new features without being daunted by too much risk. Thus, please take this as a kind feedback on naming issues only, I’m very happy to see people like you spending so many time on making the whole community’s houses more comfortable. Please keep contributing all the great stuff! :slight_smile:

Which is Alpha the OS (buster) openhab3 or openHABian (bunch of scripts to install stuff)

For now as a workaround add openhabian as a sudo user

Login as user PI and
sudo visudo /etc/sudoers.d/010_pi-nopasswd

Add openhabian on new line

Screenshot 2020-12-28 095046

Change the PI user password from default

1 Like

If you want to contribute better do debugmode=maximum and install to get a log that shows where the renaming does not work.

OK - Note I did this and added it to the GitHub issue

firstboot.log (288.9 KB)

If you need anything else I can start all over again until me SD card dies.

Oh and this is AWESOME

1 Like

In firstboot.log with debugmode=maximum I see

2020-12-27_22:53:47_GMT [openHABian] Changing default username and password... + [[ -v openhabian ]]
+ id openhabian
+ echo SKIPPED
SKIPPED

Is there a way to give you more information/ help with this?

1 Like

Thanks.
So it fails in /boot/first-boot.bash line 62 or right after.
You can also edit /boot/first-boot.bash to insert some debug output such as the values of the variables that are tested against in that line

Edit, remove /opt/openHABian-install* and reboot to trigger a reinstall.

Thank @mstormi for all your efforts in developing these versions, we really appreciate it.
what are the ways we can support you?