NodeMCU based MQTT multi-sensor with OLED display

Nice work! If I hadn’t made a pile of mysensors PIRs I’d very likely get some of these. I’ve been trying to have reliable motion detection (that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg) for well over a year now and those really do look like a winner. I’m sure people will be very grateful for your contribution.

edit i watched part of your livestream, that board is a lot smaller than i thought, cool. Also, the part where you mention the 312/501 PIRs being crap - I am using a mix of 312s and 501s w/nrf radios (mysensors) and they’re 100% (so far) reliable in this setup. they seem to just hate wifi (not even 2.4GHz as the nrf radios are 2.4).

1 Like

is it in any way posibel to see your openhab files my name is Simon_Thorsted on community.openhab.org i have the same z-wave power monitor and plans to make your thermotast/dimmer whit the touch display so i can impliment it to my openhab , im am no coder so ther for im having problems some time putting the things to my setup .

@Simon_Thorsted - I responded to your comment on my video, but just in case others are intersted, I’ve made my config files available on Github: https://github.com/bkpsu/openhab2-conf-bartus

Use them as you wish - learn from my mistakes :smiley:

Finished my project finally. Next round I plan to incorporate a buck down into a very small breakout board. My electrical box behind this packed.

1 Like

Very cool! Look at the IRM-03-5 from Meanwell, it’s what the HASP project uses for AC/DC conversion. It’s not too big, but you could always switch the NodeMCU to a Wemos to save some space, too…

Yeah that’s my plan. So far it’s been running for 12hrs. Temp went up 10f from what I tested in my man cave. I believe it’s the homeseer causing the issue. Until I get v2 I cant do anything to insulate behind the sensors. For time being I detuned the sensor by 10f.

it’s definitely affected by the box temp - but the good news is you can linearly calibrate it (i.e. subtract 10f as you did)…I put my sensors in the same room as the HVAC controller for a few days, to figure out how much I need to offset them by (since ultimately, I’m trying to read temperature in reference to the thermostat). You could do that with your sensor first, then put it back in the wall, and use another sensor located in free air as a “control” to see exactly how much to offset to account for the internal box temperature.

I’m actually wondering if anybody ever made HC-SR501 working … I mean, they are still being sold by thousands so there must be something working somewhere :wink:

I’ve made a tasmota rule for filtering false positives which occurs often with this sensor (I have it right next to the ESP) and it works quite well.
Issue is sunlight but that’s solvable if it not used as security, but as light sensors.

Anyway, I would really like to hear if someone managed to filter it by hardware rather than software (eg. resistor/capacitor whatever). I’ve read some hints to make lowpass filters for it, but at the end of the they it’s not working that great for those people anyways :wink:

@kriznik, because there are suckers like me, professional software developer but approaching electronics stuff as a beginner. For us, the coding part is easy; it’s the hardware stuff that is intimidating as we don’t have electronic background. I started out with the DHT-11, and found out how easy it is to hook it up with the NodeMCU (no need for soldering).

Naturally, after getting it working, we move to other sensors. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a bunch of MQ-2, MQ-5, MQ-7, DHT22, and SR501 sensors. I guess I know what’s in store for the SR501 sensor now. Here’s the question for you guys: if you let the SR501 hang far away from the NodeMCU (say 20 to 30cm), does it improve the detection somewhat?

I experimented with SR501 different distances, places and stuff… but they really sucks in my environment somehow…

WAY better are AM312, I have them literally next to wemoD1 and there is 0 false positive readings at all.
I’ve spent too much time trying to get SR501 working properly which may be spent on something else… anyway moving to AM312 was the right decision to make

1 Like

Hi Bartus,

First of all, I love the Kube concept. Thank you for sharing this with us!
I’m trying to fabricate one myself but i’m struggling with the MS4 ambimate library in ESPEASY. I cannot find the library in the latest release (tried the test_beta version as well) since this is still not added. Do you perhaps have an already compiled version of ESPEASY where the ambimate library is included? I’m unfortunately not experienced enough to compile it myself.

Thank you in advance.
Br,
Simon