Nothing works (Designer, Server)

Hi guys,

3 days of trying and nothing works at all. I read a lot of forum posts and installing guides. E.g. http://www.openhab.org/getting-started/index.html. I have tried a manually and also a apt-get installation. Nothing works.

I am not able to start the designer (config-file is there). No action on clicking the executeable designer file. Also the server (which should show the demofile) isn’t running. Just returning a “Sitemap ‘Demo’ could not be found”. I am completely frustrated :disappointed:

Running a Rapsberry PI2 with a noobs-image.
Java is installed and up-to-date.

I have no clue what to do now… any suggestions? :slight_smile:

Thx for you help in advance.

Greetings Marcel

I feel your pain :slight_smile:
Have been there… days… and lots of frustration…

Well… I assume you have configured a working Pi OS, and then saved the image. If you have, restore that…
Then…
wget -qO - 'https://bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab' | sudo apt-key add -

echo "deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install openhab-runtime

Start openHAB - at system startup
sudo /bin/systemctl daemon-reload sudo /bin/systemctl enable openhab.service

instal openHAB persistance with rrdj4
sudo apt-get install openhab-addon-persistence-rrd4j

add YourUserName to the openhab group
sudo usermod -aG openhab YourUserName

change file ownership
sudo chown -hR openhab:openhab /etc/openhab sudo chown -hR openhab:openhab /usr/share/openhab

add rights
sudo chmod -R 777 /etc/openhab/

sudo apt-get install openhab-addon-binding-http sudo apt-get install openhab-addon-binding-ntp

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade

start openHAB
sudo systemctl start openhab

This should give you a working openHAB system on the Pi

If you want the demo files… download and install…

Where do you want to run the Designer? Windows or Linux

If on Windows you need to share the Pi openhab directories via SAMBA o the Pi.
Get SAMBA
sudo apt-get install samba samba-common-bin

Configure samba
sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

uncomment:
workgroup = WORKGROUP wins support = yes

Add these shares:
[OpenHAB Home] comment = OpenHAB Home path = /usr/share/openhab browseable = yes writeable = yes only guest = no create mask = 0777 directory mask = 0777 public = no

[OpenHAB Config] comment= OpenHAB Site Config path = /etc/openhab browseable = yes writeable = yes only guest = no create mask = 0777 directory mask = 0777 public = no

run testparm
to check whether you made any errors in the config.

Add a samba password for your user account
sudo smbpasswd -a YourUserName

see if service is up
sudo /etc/init.d/smbd status
or
ps -ef | grep smbd ps -ef | grep nmbd

change openhab permissions:
sudo chmod -R 777 /etc/openhab/ sudo chmod -R 777 /usr/share/openhab/

There is a bug/script in openhab; when you reboot the Pi, the permissions are stuffed, and you have to rerun the two chmods above again.

to see what openhab is doing:
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

Install the Designer on windows; e.g. Drive:\openhab
Point the designer to the config files on your Pi
And you should be ready to go.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hi Marcel,

do you use the 1.8.3 or the 2.0b3 Version?

First we should see that opneHAB server is running. Could you do the following as root:

service openhab stop
rm /var/log/openhab/openhab.log
service openhab start
tail -f /var/log/openhab/openhab.log

This should stop openhab, deltes the logfile so that openhab on nest start will create an new one. Now you can see if there are any errors in the logfile and maybe find the solution. Or post it here and someone will help.

thomas

1 Like

Thank you guys. I will try it the next days. What I have understand now is, that you can’t run the designer directly on the Pi2 :frowning: Thought I can make a complete coding-maschine out of it :slight_smile:

@Thomas: At the moment I have installed the 1.8.3. version. Thought I should start with this version to get into it.

Thx
Marcel

Hi Marcel,

1.8.3 is a good choice. I would suggest that you setuo OH on the Pi and share the config folder with samba and the hide the Pi somwhere at home. With the designer you should than be able to access the samab shares and edit the required files. Works in general like a charm once it is set up. Installing new binding etc could be done using a ssh session to the pi.

Thomas

Yeeeeahhhh… guys… It’s working!!! Thx so much for your help.

Server is up and running. Demohouse is installed and accessible from the browser and the iphone app.

Next tasks:

Can’t get access with the designer (windows) to my config files. Can’t get access to the OpenHab Config Files folder. Samba Password didn’t work. The OpenHAB Home folder is working?! Probably the permissions are set wrong?

Greetings
Marcel