Nube cannot see wheather

Hello all.
This is my first post ever. Apologies if I’m doing anything wrong here…
Decided to try openhab (1.8.3 on Debian 8)
I am trying to see the outside temprature from the weather binding, and it would only show -.C
I tried to install the demo site, and got same results.

Some questions:

1. How do I debug what’s happening ? Tried to change the debug level in logback.xml. Any way to debug only weather ?
  2. Do I need a specific plugin.jar installed for weather ?
  3. What am I missing ? Shouldn’t the demo work?

Here is my openhab.cfg part:

weather:apikey.ForecastIo=xxxx (Not pasted here)
weather:location.home.name=home
weather:location.home.latitude=47.8011
weather:location.home.longitude=13.0448
weather:location.home.provider=ForecastIo
#weather:location.home.woeid=
weather:location.home.language=En
weather:location.home.updateInterval=5

items:

Number   OUT_Temperature   "Temperature [%.2f °C]"   {weather="locationId=home, type=temperature, property=current"}

site:

Text item=OUT_Temperature

Many thanks,
Dorish

First guess, OUT_Temperature is defined as a number, but on the site, you are asking for a Text item=

Hi @dorish :slight_smile:

You need to install the weather binding (that’s obvious :wink: )
To debug, you would simply start openHAB using

cd <openhab-runtime-directory>
./start_debug.sh

This will cause openHAB to use the debug log settings. To see debug logging for only weather binding, you would have to change logger settings in ./configurations/logback.xml. Be aware that to activate these settings you have to restart openHAB.

Typical issues are spaces at the beginning of a line in openhab.cfg (don’t know if this is fixed yet).

For code quoting it is best practice to use three backticks before and after the code (```) or simply use the 2nd button from the right in formatting menu.
This is to avoid issues in displaying the code, e.g. the strong line weather:location.home.woeid= which could be omitted completely.

@asjohnson9 Text in sitemap is the keyword for only displaying a (maybe dynamic) label but don’t allow any input, so that’s correct.

@Udo_Hartmann,
Thanks for the answer.
I hope I am not wasting the time of others, but I am getting desperate of this package, and still don’t get it…
I need to install the weather plugin. Assuming its only copying a jar file. Where can I get it from? What is its name?
I installed the demo site, it had 5 jar files to copy, of which none mentioned weather. is it a non-working example ? (Did restart the service)

You say I need to change the value of the logback.xml, but what values should I fill? It opened all openhab’s log in debug mode, and it is hard to identify. Is there a way to set only the weather to debug mode?

Go to http://openhab.org , -> Downloads -> download addons -> unzip it -> copy or move org.openhab.binding.weather*.jar to <openhab-runtime-folder>/addons/

You will havev to do this with all addons, you wish to use. Please only copy the needed addons and don’t create any subfolders (maybe to store inactive addons - you could store inactive addons under <openhab-runtime-folder>/inactive_addons/, though).

Once an addon is stored in ./addons/ it will be activated instantly (no restart needed), so it’s best practice to configure the addon in openhab.cfg before copying the *.jar

Thanks for all the dear souls. Got it working.
In case somebody else runs into the same problems:

• Downloaded the “fully working demo” from the OH site
  • Had to rename the weather’s <locationId1> to home
  • Had to download the addons, and unzip the weather one.
  • Yahoo and ForecastIO didn’t work for Auth/HTTPS reasons (Probably)
  • Wunderground worked for me (Purchase the apikey for 0$ in their www site)
  • Changed demo.items (It does not address the configured provider in the openhab.cfg, but rather tries to fetch things directly from yahoo)
Number Weather_Temperature     "Temperature [%.2f °C]"   {weather="locationId=home, type=temperature, property=current"}
Number Weather_Humidity         "Humidity [%d %%]"         {weather="locationId=home, type=atmosphere, property=humidity"}

This is probably all what I did. I hope some other Naive Nube like me will find it useful one day :slight_smile:

Thanks again.
Dorish