Number to number Transformation

Hello,

I am desperately looking for a way to assess a temperature reading. So 0-15°C = 0 points 15-20°C is then one point.
I have realized this by using an if structure. But now I need the function several times. I tried a SCALE transformation but I always get strings back but I want to continue to calculate with it.
It may well be that I have not yet arrived at the OpenHAB universurm and still think too much in C.
Thanks for your help.

[..15[=0
[15..20[=1
[20..25[=2
[25..29[=3
[29..32[=4
[32..34[=5
[34..35[=6
[35..[=8

var hour_point6 = transform("SCALE", "temp_points.scale",localDailyForecast6hMinTemperature.state.toString) + transform("SCALE", "temp_points.scale",localDailyForecast6hMaxTemperature.state.toString)

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry 3 und 4
    • openHAB version:2.5

That’s correct, but strings like “3” can be parsed to decimal or integer numbers e.g.
Integer::parseInt(somestring)

If you’re going to do something like postUpdate to an Item, that will parse by itself
myNumberItem.postUpdate(somestring)

Your scale is strange, since you repeat some numbers. Is 15 °C 0 or 1?

Instead of the transform, how about this?

var hour_point6 = (if ((localDailyForecast6hMinTemperature.state as DecimalType) - 15 > 0) ((localDailyForecast6hMinTemperature.state as DecimalType)  - 15 + 5) / 5 else 0) + (if ((localDailyForecast6hMaxTemperature.state as DecimalType) - 15 > 0) ((localDailyForecast6hMaxTemperature.state as DecimalType) - 15 + 5) / 5 else 0)

Thanks a lot. I have implemented the solution of rossko57 and it works fine.
The solution using IF queries I had so far but when I use it on more than two places I get the wish to do it in a sub-function. Especially because the values are not fixed yet.