NZ users of openHAB?

Your guess was spot on. Amazon, and youpost.

I think it is really good, and currently use it as a set top box only so have the 16GB version.

If you want to use it as a plex server then I think the 500GB version is better suited with media stored on network for medium to large libraries.

I got it with a remote and a single controller as a package.

For media I use Netflix, Plex (client) and Kodi. All my medfia is either cloud based or on my linux file server/plex server.

It starts up the TV when it switches on from standby and when the TV turns off it returns to standby something most of my previous set top boxes failed to do successfully.

I actually like to box, previously I have had minux and zidoo boxes that have each lasted around 18 months before needing to be replaced to keep up with tech advances

Thanks

Paul

Iā€™ve got the same, Plex is only a client, but must have an audio path-trough to receiver.
All the media is on synology NAS.
Can you control the shield with OH? Play/Pause and see the current status?

In terms of TV control I used to have issues with CEC because the media streamers were plugged to the receiver and not to the TV. But Iā€™ve got a xiaomi power socket and it just kills the power for all my tv/media devices (energy savings :wink: )

There main issue I have with my shield is that the slim remote doesnā€™t even last day before it is flatā€¦ Game controller works fine as a remote and lasts monthsā€¦

Remote last a few months in terms of battery life.

Letā€™s not forget that Nvidia Shield is an android device so controlling android devices remotely, is limited to Adb over a USB or network, IR, or Bluetooth.

Chromecast
As the shield is a full functioning chromecast that side of it can be controlled from OH2 using the chromecast binding.

Airplay
I am fairly certain that it can be used to connect to apple devices but not sure OH2 has anything to offer in this space.

Plex
Use the Plex binding, and the Alexa skill. I do have an issue currently with the status not updating.

Netflix
There is no remote way to control netflix from OH2 or Alexa official skils that I am aware of.

Kodi
similar deal to Netflix in terms of Alexa official support but OH2 has a binding that works pretty well.

Netflix remote control is the real pain one, as its used the most in our house and currently my scripts simply start the app, and select the correct account for family use. then the user is left at the home screen and needs to control with the IR remote, I donā€™t think even the voice control on shield works with netflix either but I could be wrong.

Regards

Paul

I had the same problem - some kind of conflict with one of the other smart devices that I had. I received the new hardware and its all go.

@Jeremy_Scott did you have issues with your remote too?

sorry, my reply was to the sensibo post: sensibo kept dropping off the network - the new hardware they sent works well.

With summer getting well under way is anyone keen to catch-up and talk OH?
Iā€™m Auckland based, not sure who else is close byā€¦

Iā€™m always happy! Iā€™m in East Auckland, but very flexible :wink:

If youā€™re setting up a local event, make sure to mention it at https://community.openhab.org/c/organisation/events as well!

A bit late to this party, but Iā€™m building in Chch right now, and would love to benefit from some of your acquired knowledge!

Hey @lightweight, what do you want to know? If you want to chat online with other HA enthusiasts and you use Slack I would recommend joining homeautomationnz.slack.com.

Thanks @ben_jones12 (Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t do Slack on principle - my thoughts on that: https://davelane.nz/why-slack-better-and-why-open-communities-shouldnt-use-it ) - but Iā€™m trying to decide on how ambitious to be in setting up the house weā€™re building for automation. Iā€™m keen to be as non-proprietary as possible. Looking to control heating/cooling (currently considering Daikin or Mitsubishi heat pumps), water heating, appliances, solar (PV), monitor temperature, presence (of people), a bit of video (internal and external) security, lights, and probably set up a weather station. Trying to decide how to set it all up. Iā€™m planning to run Cat 6 into all rooms, and have a spot for sensors in every room. Of course, some of itā€™ll be dependent on cost.

Just saw this post pop up when looking at the forums. Iā€™m located in ā€œThe Tronā€ renting a house so itā€™s a non permanent retrofit.

openHAB 2 is running via docker on a Raspberry Pi 3.

At the moment the lights are on the system via Phillips Hue and the temperature/humidity, some buttons, door sensors, water leak sensors and some smoke detectors via Xiaomi Mi. I use the Xiaomi motion detectors for perimeter sensors outside and Phillips hue motion sensors inside. I upgraded to an Onkyo receiver and Samsung tv last year and use their corresponding bindings to integrate into the system.

Since Iā€™m a software engineer Iā€™ve also submitted some fixes and improvements for the Onkyo and Samsung bindings.

Iā€™ve also developed an HP Printer binding that will hopefully end up in openHAB soon and Iā€™ve even done a binding that scrapes the ā€œsmart waterā€ website so I can see the water alert level in Hamilton (which will be good when I eventually have an automated sprinkler system). In fact Iā€™ve just rewritten the HP printer binding and will start to overhaul the NZ Water Alert binding over the next week or two and hopefully have that make it into official openHAB eventually.

The things to still do is getting an IR blaster setup for the Fujitsu heat pump and some Xiaomi smart plugs to automate some old stuff. Maybe a weather station too, but that depends on how I can access the data.

I also want to work on some more bindings for remote control integration of the PS3/4 And the Xbox.

Iā€™ve been using openHAB for about 6 months now and really enjoying it as a hobby and have friends and family looking at wanting similar set ups. I looked at openHAB 1 3 years ago but didnā€™t do much with it since it hadnā€™t matured enough for my uses.

As another mentioned in here I also use the motion and door sensors for a security system so whenever Itā€™s active, itā€™s scripted to send notifications to mine and the partners phone.

Nice one @Cossey, sounds like you are well underway.

Would anyone here find a use for having the countries Water Alert Levels available in openHAB?

The idea behind it was to determine whether or not to operate garden sprinklers during restrictions?

Iā€™ve just finished rewriting my NZ Water Alert Level binding, it supports the following cities/regions:

• Bream Bay
  • Cambridge
  • Dargaville & Baylys
  • Glinks Gully
  • Hamilton City
  • Kaikohe / Ngawha
  • Kaitaia
  • Kerikeri / Waipapa
  • Kihikihi
  • Mangapai
  • Mangawhai
  • Maungakaramea
  • Maungaturoto
  • Moerewa / Kawakawa
  • Napier
  • Okaihau
  • Opononi / Omapere
  • Pukerimu
  • Rawene
  • Ruawai
  • Russell
  • Te Awamutu
  • Waikato District
  • Waitangi / Paihia / Opua
  • Whangarei

It pulls data from relevant council websites, practically scraping the web page and extracting out the water level number (0-4 or 1-4, depending on region).

Unfortunately it doesnā€™t seem like Auckland or Christchurch make their alert level available online so I couldnā€™t add support for them (I recall seeing that some of your are from those regions).

If anyone is interested by any chance, you can download the Binding from here and feel free to ask any questions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uc5ky5rg35bfcm/org.openhab.binding.nzwateralerts-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar?dl=1

1 Like

Hi @lightweight - Also have built in Christchurch, and using OpenHAB for more supervisory/orchestration purposes. Focus is more on Heating/Lighting/energy aspects, as opposed to Multi-Media/entertainment control, although I may play with that a bit more next winterā€¦

Generally speaking, I have proprietary sub-systems which work stand-alone, with reliability as the key-criteria in mind, which also means if I was to ever sell the house, the prospective buyers donā€™t need to have an engineering degree to consider purchasing the place :slight_smile: and can get support from many local suppliers/contractors, and they could turn off OpenHAB if they really wanted, without the whole house shutting down too :slight_smile: ā€¦

At the core of my automation/control, Iā€™m using Zelio for HWC/SWH/UFH control, C-Bus for Lighting, fans etc, and then a multitude of other devices (e.g. Daikin, Alarm, OpenSprinkler etc) on the edges, which is where OpenHAB comes in, for providing the supervisory/remote/orchestration capabilities, although whilst I have most connected, I still have a long way to go to truly leverage some of the orchestration potential that OPenHAB can bring. Integrating the PV is still one of my last hurdles to crossā€¦The inverter I have, I consider to be great in terms of engineering/design/reliability/functionality etc, but unfortunately (in my opinion) scores badly on the Home Automation integration frontā€¦!!

Feel free to reach-out if you have any-questions.