Odroid N2 + released, anyone using it?

As per the topic, is anyone using this beast? Still waiting to upgrade to something faster and now Odroid has recently updated the N2 to a newer N2+ model which is basically the same, but runs at a higher clock speed and has a battery clip on board for the Real Time Clock. This means the device is already very stable and support is advanced in Linux as it is not a new ARM CPU, but tweaks to an already proven and mature one.

The C4 may be seen as better value for a headless (no video monitor) server, but if more CPU is what you crave the N2+ has it without stepping up in price for a x86 based system.

A rough idea of the CPU power:
Pi4 = 100% (cost $55)
C4 = 150% (cost $50)
N2+ = 200% (costs $79)

It is not just the CPU which performs better, the ram does as well and this translates into a more responsive system even if you don’t need the extra CPU power you will benefit from the faster performing ram.

Armbian has images available and Openhab can be installed automatically by Armbian as part of the install process making this a simple process. DietPi and Ubuntu images are also available.

This device is listed as one of the best Kodi devices to use by one of their devs.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

1 Like

i have openHAB running on ODROID-N2 (without +) very stable for 4 months. very happy with performance.

2 Likes

a Pi4 is $35 isn’t it (no point in getting the 4 or even 8 GB versions)

Think of it this way.

The national speed limit here in the UK is 70 miles per hour and the majority of people travel alone, so in theory there is no point buying anything with more than 1 seat and a 1000cc engine.

“Because that’ll do the job”

It all comes down to personal choice.

I’ve spent at least 8 years running different “home automation” software on different platforms.

The different performance, cost, reliability & styling issues have been covered by many people in numerous threads, so there’s no point in repeating the data here.

My own personal conclusions are simply these…

For my own use, I want something fast and reliable.
The ODroid C2 ticks that box, without breaking the bank and now has a lovely metal case, which all costs less than €100.

So far the tests with the C4 prove its even better and a metal case is on its way.

A Raspberry Pi 2?
It’s not even heavy enough to be a useful paperweight.
It has completely failed to come up to my standards in any of the tests I’ve done with it.

Sure, it works (until the SD card fails), but I want things to “work well”.

@mstormi The bigger question to ask yourself (given what you told me in a PM) is …

If the Loxone mini server has a price tag of >€400, is €150 really too much to allocate to the single bit of hardware that pulls everything together and could make or break your business reputation?

Just to be clear, I don’t sell openHAB2 to customers, I sell the hardware and I load whatever software they choose.
For a fee, I’ll configure all their Velbus hardware. What they do with it after that is up to them.
But I know it will work well and exceed the majority of their expectations.

I do actively encourage them to become openHAB2 foundation members, but many think the software is free.
But that’s a different rant for a different day.

Just wanted to correct the OP’s pricing information. While the N2 has 4GB, you must not apply the 4GB RPi price in comparison but the 2GB one because there’s no relevant limitation associated with running OH on 2GB (I even run mine on 1GB).

I think your comparison falls short. Driving is an emotional thing so a sports car has a value to the driver. But it’s hard to find value in my SBC executing a rule in 100 msec instead of 200.

OTOH, there’s a value in going with the mainstream. Think what if your customer’s SBC breaks down in 5 yrs from now. Will Hardkernel still exist by then ? I’m pretty sure RPis (or compatibles) will.
Think backup, think SW support. YMMV of course.

I wonder if Henry Ford, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Marie Curie, Edison etc etc ever heard words like that?

I do know one thing, I’ll make different choices in 5 years time.

As I said, it’s all down to personal choice.

Except…

What if there are 10 rules, all taking 200ms

Or 20 rules?

Or 200+ background processes, all taking 200ms

So yes, I do care how long a single rule takes to execute.

I prefer bikes, so my current dilemma is…

Zero SR/F, Zero SR/S or Lightning LS-218

What about a Livewire then :cowboy_hat_face:? Ok, we’re completely off-topic now.

1 Like

What?

A Hardly Drivable Livewire?

My brother is a Harley fan, even after I’ve left him for dust on my old Yamaha Faser 1000

(I can’t talk about watching him slow down for corners, so that he doesn’t grind out his foot pegs without falling about laughing)

But yes, we are definatley off topic now

I myself drive a 3 series cabrio.
Most of the driving fun stems from holding out my hand making the two-finger sign at passing bikers … yeah I’m mean I know. Yes definitely off topic. Call a moderator :slight_smile:

That’ll be bikes carefully and safely passing your car, while stuck in traffic?

(we’d never advocate danergous behaviour)

And just becuase it’s a very cheap jab at BMX drivers… (Meant in pure humour)

Did you mean, the only fun of driving a 3 series Cabrio?

No those that don’t manage overtaking me on a curvy driving passage … 4 wheels is MUCH more traction :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the good news it works. Now just have to wait for stock to arrive and get two, one for openhab V3 and second one for Kodi that can be grabbed as a spare for openhab should a hardware fault occur. This is why Kodi support is important to me as my spare Hardware is constantly in use proving it works in case it is needed.

Just about to try Odroid N2+ for OH3. Everyone happy still?

What flavour of OS / image are you using? I’m more comfortable with Ubuntu but if Armbian or DietPi are recommended I’ll change.

Did big/little ever emerge as an issue ?

I can highly recommend it if you don’t want to spend twice the $$ to get into a x86 solution that also uses more electricity. I have used it a lot for the past 10 weeks and not had a single issue. Regarding big/little that was only an issue with Samsung, this device is Amlogic.
Runs very cool to the touch with no fan.
Probably the only thing I can pick on is I wish the case lid had a more positive lock/click when you slide it on, and that it could be easier to locate the lid when lining it up to slide on. That is being very picky :slight_smile: .

The cool feature I did not realize until I set it up, is the switch that allows you to select if your booting from uSD or eMMC. Plan is to use this to be able to flick a switch to the uSD for running tests on a separate install and then being able to flick back to production on the eMMC when I go to work.

As for setting up V3, see here as this will make it very easy…

im still using Odroid N2, now for more than 1 year, and very happy with. not a single issue in the last year and enough performance to handle my rather complex setup.
it runs with Armbian 20.08.17 Buster

Armbian build images for both Debian and Ubuntu.

Compared to “vanilla” Debian / Ubuntu, Armbian add a lot of hardware specific and general SBC specific tweaks. In fact, this is one of main raisons d’être for Armbian. Because “vanilla” Debian / Ubuntu do not even support most of these SBC.

I have tried DietPi a couple times and found it a bit “weird.” But I am Debian user pretty much everywhere. And Armbian is just plain vanilla Debian userspace pretty much (or in your case, Ubuntu if you prefer that).