Offering to implement the Wink Hub 2 bindings

Good to hear that it worked for you! I don’t have any “fancy” light bulb so I can try to add some support for temperature / color (like the hue) but I might need some help from you :).

Do you have access to a Linux machine? I’d be curious to know the kind of data that you get when you query the state of one of these downlights… For a simple dimmable bulb you get something like this: https://pastebin.com/rX02ybwP my guess is that in your case you’ll have a “color_temperature” entry in the “capabilities” list and in the desired_state/last_reading ones.

I can share the instruction on how to get this data, note that by default it contain some personal information (e.g. your address, lat/lon) and some other things that you don’t want to share :slight_smile: (your PubNub subscribe key etc), but the last_reading, desired_state and capabilities list don’t contain any sensitive data.

Hi Seb,

Sure - I know my way around a linux command line reasonably well. If you can share some rough instructions I’ll try to give it a shot today!

Cheers,

Jason

I just remembered that I’ve added some extra logging to the version of OpenHab that I pushed to the Artifactory last week, so you should just have to enable the TRACE logging in Karaf for the Wink binding [1] , interact with one of these light (e.g. turn it on) and you’ll get all the data in the Karaf console (You’ll see something like “[TRACE] [binding.wink.handler.WinkHub2Handler] - Hub replied with: {…}”

If someone has some Hue lights and want to try this that’d be appreciated too!

[1] log:set TRACE org.openhab.binding.wink

Hey Sebastien,

I submitted a pull request to your fork to add support for generic zwave locks on the wink hub. I’ve got it up and running without issue on my system at home.

S.

Thanks Shawn! I’ll review this later today :slight_smile: . Once merged I’ll see what needs to be done for this to be an official binding.

There’s a new version of the binding on the Artifactory: https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/webapp/#/artifacts/browse/tree/General/libs-pullrequest-local/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.wink/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.wink-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Thanks to @scooter_seh and @shawncrosbys this version now supports binary switches and locks, feel free to try it out! (and provide some feedback if you’re having some issues with it).

I should really look at what should be done to merge my PR to the main repo.

3 Likes

Quick update, I’ve bought some Hue bulbs and I’m adding more functionalities to the binding (controlling the color temperature etc, the Hue has a lot of capabilities!), I’ll start the official merge process after that.

I noticed the latest version of the binding now requires that I be a Wink developer to get some of the required information to connect to my hub. When I register as a developer what do I use for “website” and “redirect uris” as I have nothing to fill in there? Do they care if it’s bogus information?

Thanks for all the great work! I’m looking forward to exploring the many possibilities.

Wayne

You don’t need to do this anymore, @shawncrosbys improved this! You can use https://openhab-authservice.herokuapp.com to generate the access token.

Thanks. I created a github account, got my token via the wink login. What fields do I need to fill in on the PaperUI for the binding configuration?

Shawn,
Is there a write-up of how to use the new authentication process for the wink binding?

Thanks!

Ah, you’re right, need to add that to the docs. Once you’re registered with the heroku app, you’ll see a token in the app. Put the token in paperui in the auth service token field and change the auth type to ‘delegated’. Should take effect as soon as you save.

S.

Thanks. Is there documentation somewhere I can refer to? What I have found
so far is the readme.md file on the github:

Wayne

Hi guys, I see that switches are working with the Wink hub. Are there any plans for contacts? The reason I ask is because I mainly use my openHab setup for a home alarm system that consists of switches and contacts. I would like to use the Wink Hub 2 as a a replacement for my Z-Stick. Looking through the documentation on GitHub it doesn’t look like this is possible yet.

Thanks!

Sorry for the silence here, I’ve been travelling for the past 3 months and didn’t really had time to work on this.

I think that the initial binding is mostly complete and we should really push on shipping it to the main repo so people with more time on their hand will be available to add support for more devices. I’ll try to list what has to be done before shipping this soon (I think that we should start by updating the doc and explain how to use Shawn’s heroku app).

For the last month or so I have been have a problem with things initializing. I am using an Wink Hub 1 which also had a hub update around the same time. The hub is running version 4.0.26-0. I tried deleting a thing today and then add it back by scanning the hub. The scan did not product any new things after the deletion. Any hints on where to go from here?

TIA

Is this binding in the IOT Marketplace? If not, could it be put there so we can install it through paper UI? I’m using OH2 and would be interested in trying this out.

I think we need to get it merged into the main code base @sebmarchand were you going to take care of that pull request? or do you want me to open one?

Hey James,

The Discovery just goes to the wink api and lists all the connected devices so long as they are supported. Currently it only supports binary switches, dimmer lights, locks, doorbells and remotes. If your connected devices aren’t that type, then they won’t show up. Adding support for new connected objects isn’t really difficult, but we only added support for things we actually had connected to test.

S.

Hey Tom,

Not difficult to add support for contacts so long as you know the states that you want to read (assume read only in this case). The doorbell module is basically just a motion and button press sensor, so same pattern I would guess. I’ve been a bit busy the past couple months, but I’ve got some time coming up that I could look at it.

S.