Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

It sounds like you weren’t triggering manual discovery whenever you made configuration changes and that the daily automated discovery triggered on the Alexa side fixed your issue.

Because of security concerns I would like to disable Alexas access to OH when I am not at home (when I am away it does not make sense anyway.
Is there any option to activate / deactivate Alexa’s access to my system?
Like:

Block Alexa’s Internet connection temporarily?
Disconnect openhabCloud to my system?
Change UUID of OH, so that openhabcloud does not have access anymore?
something else?

I am confused. I actually recall answering this question before and then I noticed you were the person I replied to in the first place. Did you end up implementing the solution I recommended?

Damn it - you are right.
That slipped through my notes somehow.
Sorry for that.
I will try to play around with your recommendation!
Thanks for pointing this out to me (again) :wink:

I guess I have another issue.
After activating the OH Skill in my Alexa app and tagging the items, I can discover them.
But I guess this interfers with my previous Hue emulation setup, because all items are discovered as Royal Philips Device.
Of course I deleted all Devices before the new discovery (and removed the hue emulation binding), but they seem to be buffered somewhere.
Where can I look for this?

EDIT:
I guess deleting the cache will help!? (as always) :wink:

Have you looked at this post?

Thanks for pointing this out.
Yes, I read that and have the same issues.
The only difference is, that I don’t have a physical hue bridge, but this does not make it any better.

That’s working flawlessly!
Thank you very much!

1 Like

I am trying to use ModeController to control in french my telco box PVR (Orange brand in France) with Alexa.

I have created an item as followed:

String pvr “orange” {channel=“mqtt:topic:d2cfb0fd:livebox”, alexa=“ModeController.mode” [supportedModes=“Play=Démarre,Pause=Stop”]}

I have set up French language in PaperIO

Alexa discovers my “Orange” device, displays the “Démarre” and “Stop” buttons in the Alexa Android app which send the right Play/Pause commands to OH and then MQTT.

However I cannot found the right vocal orders to activate these commands. I always get (in French) “the device Orange does not take into account this command”.

Any idea on what I am missing?

Can you please provide the exact utterances in French you tried?

Also, it seems that the PlaybackController capability may be more appropriate for the functionality you are trying to expose. Although, it will probably require the use of Player proxy item and some rules to integrate.

I have tried the following utterances :
"alexa démarre orange”
"alexa arrête orange”
"alexa ouvre orange”
And I have got always that response from Alea :
“L’appareil orange ne prend pas en charge cette commande.”

For the utterance “Alexa met le mode démarre pour Orange” i’ve got “Je ne sais pas comment régler l’appareil orange sur ce paramètre.”

I have also tried
"Alexa mode démarre pour orange”
"Alexa mets orange en mode démarre”
with only a beep feedback from Alexa

What about trying my suggestion? What exactly is the purpose of that item? I assume it is control a media player.

hi Lars,

did you ever get this to work in German?
What is your German phrase to set it to TV for instance.
I am struggling to make it work.
Thanks in advance

Hi,
it works perfekt, even in german. But do not use the input controller! Use the mode controller:

Group  TV_Bedroom_LG   "Fernseher"                                                         { alexa="Endpoint.Tv"}
Number  TV_Bedroom_Input "Fernseher"                        (TV_Bedroom_LG)        {alexa="ModeController.mode" [supportedModes="0=aus, 1=Satellit,2=Amazon, 3=Netflix, 4=Yamaha, 5=Computer, 6=DVB-T, 7=Miracast, 8=Youtube, 9=ARD Mediathek, 10=ZDF Mediathek,11=Dazn,12=Disney+",friendlyNames="Eingang" ,ordered=true]}

The use is like: “Alexa schalte Eingang Fernseher auf Netflix”. If room awareness is activated. “Alexa schalte Eingang auf Netfilx” should work too.
Of course you need a rule to set the Input based on the values set by the mode controller.

Regards,
Olli

1 Like

Is there a way to get rid of routines I have set up in the Alexa app itself and solve such things via the Alexa skill directly in openhab ?

For a specific use case I need to create 8 routines because of the different ways someone could ask a question which should then triggger an item in openhab.

What I am trying to achieve is to get rid of those routines and solve it in openhab directly to cover all these questions.

Is that possible with the current skill ?

If you are looking for a way to control/manage Alexa routines, this is more in the realm of the Amazon Echo Control binding, although I am not sure if such feature is available as of yet.

In terms of handling routines from the OH side, although it is hard to know since you weren’t specific, only routines falling under the semantic extensions concept would work via the skill at this point.

Thank you for your response.

I am currently in the process of creating a self build multi room timer setup via alexas while the timer is handled by openhab.

Currently my approach needs to use routines for example my rountines are.
I translated it to english examples see below:

Alexa, how many minutes are left on the Kitchentimer -> triggers openhab item
Alexa, how long is the kitchen timer? -> triggers openhab item
Alexa, how long kitchen timer? -> triggers openhab item

Would that be possible with semantic extensions?

That skill concept wouldn’t help you much with what you are trying to achieve.

Like I mentioned before, using the Amazon Echo Control binding would be your best bet based on the use-case you provided. There are channels that would give you access to your echo device timer and also last voice command.

Anyway, I would recommend that you start a separate post since I don’t believe what you trying to setup is achievable through the Alexa skill.

Hi all,

I am trying to get two temperature sensors to give me their values when triggered via Alexa, but so far I can only get my bedroom one to respond. The living room sensor keeps saying that it’s not supported.

I can see the living room sensor in Alexa, and it’s giving me the correct reading. All 4 items are discovered as well, but the GRPalexaTempDWN item goes immediately to unresponsive.

Is there something wrong with my definition of my items? Can I only use one group for thermostats?

When I add TemperatureLivingroom to GRPalexaTempUPS, it still can’t get the temperature of my living room sensor, but it strangely enough gives me the average temperature of my home(?), which is exactly the average of the two values from my temperature sensors.I don’t have the item or group home setup anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s my items file:

Group GRPalexaTempUPS “Temperature Upstairs” [“Thermostat”] {alexa=“Endpoint.Thermostat”}

Group GRPalexaTempDWN “Temperature Downstairs” [“Thermostat”] {alexa=“Endpoint.Thermostat”}

Number TemperatureBedroom “Temperature in my bedroom [%.0f C]” (GRPalexaTempUPS) [“CurrentTemperature”] {alexa=“TemperatureSensor.temperature” [scale=“Celsius”], channel=“mihome:sensor_weather_v1:temp1:temperature”}

Number TemperatureLivingroom “Temperature in my living room [%.0f C]” (GRPalexaTempDWN) [“CurrentTemperature”] {alexa=“TemperatureSensor.temperature” [scale=“Celsius”], channel=“mihome:sensor_ht:temp2:temperature”}

You should check the troubleshooting guide. Your TemperatureLivingroom item probably doesn’t have a proper state.

Not sure to fully understand your question. However, if you just want to expose temperature sensors, no need to use a group endpoint for that. You should model each sensor item as a single endpoint. The idea behind a thermostat endpoint is to model a thermostat device that would include a temperature sensor along with mode and setpoint settings.