Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

Thus far I have attempted searching / discovery of devices via 1) the online web service (alexa.amazon.com), 2) via the IOS based Alexa application and lastly 3) via the actual voice service itself - asking for the discovery of smart home devices.

Turns out its the keyboard on my phone was capitalising the email address first letter, even when told not to. It only does it in Alexa app. Creating the account in Alexa was never working for me, but is now, however I found that using a different default keyboard solved the issue, even without deletion.

Thanks for the update.

Hi all,

My issue had been resolved and Alexa now discovered all my exposed devices.

Turns out the items definition had an icon defined per item and removing this allowed the successful discovery.

Many thanks to all - Enjoy Alexa skill

Cheers

1 Like

found some issues why it wouldn’t work for me at the first try, maybe it’ll help some other.

1. config line work for me as:
    Funktion Name “Text” Icon [“tagging”] {binding}
    Funktion Name “Text” [“tagging”] {binding}
    Funktion Name “Text” [“tagging”]
  2. no in the config lines, only one or more are allowed
  3. you have do write the Funktion with a large letter in the beginning (Group not group)

now all devices are discovered.

Hi all, thanks to everyone who has helped out here. My intention was not to release the skill and run, but our myopenhab.org has been in a very bad state and I have been spending all my time trying to get it healthy again.

The good news is I think we are in a better place. I think many of the login issues and timeouts were due to myopenhab and not the skill or the Alexa service. Hopefully you should notice as of a few hours ago Alexa should seem more responsive to controlling your OH. There is still work to do, but I am more optimistic we can handle the added load now!

8 Likes

@digitaldan Many thanks for all your efforts, you seem to have done an awesome job as can be seen from the availability of myopenHAB over the last few days:

Thanks! :tulip:

4 Likes

I’ve been away since last night. Came home and the lamp switched on waaayyy quicker than it has been. A real noticeable improvement, Thanks for your work @digitaldan

Am I right, that the color type is not working atm?

How do you add your “hue lights” to Alexa via myopenhab?

Sorry Newbie here. I am just skimming the surface of openhab but was able to register on the open cloud and get Alexa to discover my device ( a zwave dimmer switch). However it is listed as OFFLINE. I have read that the ‘Tag’ needs to be [ “Lighting” ], how do you set that? Thanks in advance.

The same as in the Homekit Addon:

http://docs.openhab.org/addons/io/homekit/readme.html#item-configuration

Example for zwave:
Switch Fibaro_1 "Hallway up" [ "Lighting" ] {channel="zwave:device:158b44ebf65:node28:switch_binary" }

Hello together,

I´m new to OpenHAB 2 and installed it on an Raspberry Pi3 (Openhabian)
Install was working fine and after some searching I was able to connect it to the OpenHAB Cloud.
After that i installed the Yamaha Binding within Paper UI.
Worked Fine. The Receiver is visible and controllable under the Control Tab.
After that I installed the Skill for Echo and connected it to the OpenHAB Cloud.
Within the Alexa App I tried to search for new Devices but nothing apperars.
After hours of reading in the web I added different kind´s of code the different locations (sitemap, items) but that doesn´t got me furher.
Has anyone done this before and can give me a short discription?

Thanks

Regards
Klumpstein

@Klumpstein What does your item file for the Yamaha look like?

@RichP
After trying different things I found in the Web my current status is the following.

I deleted the Binding within Paper UI and made a fresh install of the Binding.

After that I wrote the following in the demo.items file via Eclipse:

/*YamahaReceiver */
     Switch Yamaha_Power         "Power [%s]"         <tv> 
     Dimmer Yamaha_Volume         "Volume [%.1f %%]"       
     Switch Yamaha_Mute             "Mute [%s]"            
     String Yamaha_Input         "Input [%s]"              
     String Yamaha_Surround         "surround [%s]"        
     Number Yamaha_NetRadio  "Net Radio" <netRadio> 

and this in the demo.sitemap:

Frame label="Receiver" {	
	 Selection item=Yamaha_NetRadio label="Sender"icon="recorder" mappings=[1="N Joy", 2="Radio Sport", 3="RDU", 4="91ZM", 5="Hauraki"]
     Selection item=Yamaha_Input label="Eingang"icon="player" mappings=[Bluetooth="Bluetooth",HDMI2="MacMini","NET RADIO"="NetRadio",TUNER="Tuner"]

}

I know it´s a wild combination of things I found in different threads :grin:

Hello all together,

I am a step further!
Now I am able to use the receiver via the BasicUI. So far I have used the wrong UDN.
Can someone tell me maybe how to link it to Alexa?

My Code:

.items

/*YamahaReceiver */
     Switch Yamaha_Power         "Power [%s]"         <tv> {channel="yamahareceiver:yamahaAV:f6be843a:power"}
     Dimmer Yamaha_Volume         "Volume [%.1f %%]"       {channel="yamahareceiver:yamahaAV:f6be843a:volume"}
     Switch Yamaha_Mute             "Mute [%s]"            {channel="yamahareceiver:yamahaAV:f6be843a:mute"}
     String Yamaha_Input         "Input [%s]"              {channel="yamahareceiver:yamahaAV:f6be843a:input"}
     String Yamaha_Surround         "surround [%s]"        {channel="yamahareceiver:yamahaAV:f6be843a:surroundProgram"}
     Number Yamaha_NetRadio  "Net Radio" <netRadio>        {channel="yamahareceiver:yamahaAV:f6be843a:netradiotune"}

.sitemap

Frame label="Receiver" {	
	 Selection item=Yamaha_NetRadio label="Sender"icon="recorder" mappings=[1="N Joy", 2="Radio Sport", 3="RDU", 4="91ZM", 5="Hauraki"]
     Selection item=Yamaha_Input label="Eingang"icon="player" mappings=[Bluetooth="Bluetooth",AV2="MacMini","NET RADIO"="NetRadio",TUNER="Tuner"]
	 Switch item=Yamaha_Power icon="switch"
	 Slider item=Yamaha_Volume label="Laustärke" icon="soundvolume"
		}

Regards
Klumpstein

Your starter would be to get the amp turning on and off. This is done by using the [ “Switchable” ] notation

Switch Yamaha_Power         "Power [%s]"         <tv> [ "Switchable" ]{channel="yamahareceiver:yamahaAV:f6be843a:power"}

At the moment the official app only supports:
Switchable - On and Off
Lighting - Dimmable
Thermostat - Temperature set

Obviously Switchable will turn it on and off. Lighting might be hackable to set the volume as long as it’s on a scale from 0% to 100%, but you won’t be able to play/pause, etc.

1 Like

Switchable works fine for me.
Its easy to control with Alexa. Thanks for that!

Next Part now:
Get the Volume adjustable and choose from the different Inputs (AV, Bluetooth, etc)

At this moment Alexa don’t wan’t to recognize the Lightning Tag…so, a lot of things to try within the next days :joy:

Dimmer Yamaha_Volume        "Lautstärke" 		    [ "Lightning" ]{channel="yamahareceiver:yamahaAV:f6be843a:volume"}

You’ve got a typo. It’s lighting, not light[N]ing :wink:

Ups! :joy:
That works!
Thank you!

With my Alexa I just create a dummy switch that fires a rule that sets pause and play etc.
i.e. Alexa turn on pause… I know it’s not a natural way to pause but it works.

1 Like

And have you found a way to set the Inputs via Alexa?