Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

i was wondering if i have a kind of dummy item like the below, without any attached binding:

String  S_LR_AC_MO  "Livingroom Thermostat mode"    (S_LR_AC) 

should the state just not changed by alexa to “cooling” ?

Alexa smart home API does not support that command…yet, for thermostats it only knows:

• GetTemperatureReadingRequest *US and UK
  • GetTargetTemperatureRequest *US and UK
  • SetTargetTemperatureRequest
  • IncrementTargetTemperatureRequest
  • DecrementTargetTemperatureRequest

ok, thanks for the clarification

Is there some sort of wiki page for the OH Alexa skill where the currently supported commands are listed? This thread has become too long to fish for new information…

1 Like

Would it be possible to change a String item in OH and get your registered Alexa device(s) to TTS it?

I’d like to use the Alexa to announce or notify me (out of the blue) for example if my roof window is opened and my rain-sensor detects rain. Of course I could use a raspberry PI with a speaker, but integrating this with Alexa seems much more natural.

I can’t figure out if Amazon evens allows such a functionality from their API. It seems you’d have to explicitly start a skill or ask Alexa if their are relevant notifications, but can’t find anything about “out of the blue” server side initiated specch.

Maybe this is an option:

Sorry, just to be clear: currently I can’t ask Alexa in Germany for the temperature a number item tagged with [ “CurrentTemperature” ] measures. Right?

Is everybody getting their devices detected by Alexa? Mine are still only running as hue emulation devices

Don’t know, but it is working for me. It worked with 2.1 snapshots and it works now with 2.2 snapshots.

I’ve got the same problem last week. After a fresh install with openhabian Alexa is working fine. Don’t ask me why. All my configs are the same.

Reading your replies prior it seems you’ve never had a problem but there also seem to be many who are having the same as me

1 Like

Sorry that I can’t tell you anything else :grinning:
I just wanted to make clear that it SHOULD work. I have no idea why it does not at your system … :joy:
I’ve read somewhere (but I think that was another binding) that when bridges are connected through hubs or switches, and not directly to the router, this may cause problems. It is worth a try: connect your alexa dot directly to the router (if not already the case) and try again. Try to avoid any access points or repeaters.

@sihui @digitaldan I don’t know if this question was answered before, but I want to know the following:

How is it possible to use “OpenHAB2 Smart Home Skill” directly, without using myopenHAB.org account?

Do I have to follow exactly all these steps here:

You wrote there:

…either directly or through the openHAB Cloud service (preferred).

And if I have followed all steps then I have to edit the config.js with information of my local REST Server configuration?

module.exports = {
    //userpass: 'user@foo.com:Password1',
    host: 'my.openhab.org',
    port: 443,
    path: '/rest/items/',
};

Do I need DynDNS or NAT in my router configuration, or is “Amazon Echo” device communicating directly through my LAN with my REST Server?

if directly through my LAN, then config.js could be as follows?

module.exports = {
    userpass: 'user@foo.com:Password1',
    host: 'IP-Address-of-REST-Server',
    port: 8443,
    path: '/rest/items/',
};

Thanks a lot for your answers!

If you don’t like cloud services, you may use the hue emulation for Alexa:
http://docs.openhab.org/addons/io/hueemulation/readme.html

You might not have a choice at the moment with Alexa but to do hue emulation. Native openhab skills aren’t discovering for me and others yet this is not the case for everyone

You may also take a look at:

I did it through myopenhab.org. The other way was to complicated.

In the Cloud Service I can see all my devices, but Alexa does not find any devices.!!!

My SmartHome Server and Alexa are connected to the same Wifi Access Point.

Did you authorize the alexa skill in your cloud?

@sihui Yes I did!

Then you may be affected by that strange “not finding devices” problem other users are reporting here …