Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

Should be available soon, I guess:

OK using the new Routines option I can finally say “Alexa Goodnight” and then based on that command I can then set a switch (or group or multiple switches) on or off. I think this gives ultimate flexibility as I can still use OH interfaces to “turn off the house” as the proxy I use is called “the house”, or even voice command this the same as before.

Only thing I think is missing is the voice response from Alexa - I say " Alexa - Goodnight" and she replies “OK” - a bit of a cold response from her I think - would be great if the Routine supported a voice response - then you could have some fun with that:

I say - "Alexa - Goodnight"
She Replies - “Goodnight you sexy beast”

Its a pity that English(India) language is not supported due to which it is not possible to access the openHab skill in India yet. Hope we get to use the skill with our projects soon!

@Matt77 @Kanusel I’m have the same problem. I’ve just added my Thermostat as described. Alexa found the device after I asked her to find smart home devices. When I ask “Alexa, set the Lounge Thermostat to 21 degrees” she says “I’m not sure what went wrong”.

Interestingly this does not happen if I ask Alexa to increase or decrease the temperature rather than setting a specific temperature.

This is my configuration:

Group gLoungeThermostat "Lounge Thermostat" [ "Thermostat", "Centigrade" ]
Number thermostat_lounge_temperature "Lounge temperature [%.1f °C]" <temperature> (gPersistChange, gLoungeThermostat) [ "CurrentTemperature" ] {channel="zwave:device:15a8680e20e:node7:sensor_temperature"}
Number thermostat_lounge_setpoint "Lounge setpoint [%.1f °C]" <temperature> (gPersistChange, gLoungeThermostat) [ "TargetTemperature" ] {channel="zwave:device:15a8680e20e:node7:thermostat_setpoint_heating"}
Number thermostat_lounge_battery "Lounge battery [%f]" <temperature> (gPersistChange) {channel="zwave:device:15a8680e20e:node7:battery-level"}
String thermostat_lounge_cooling_mode "Lounge Thermostat Heating/Cooling Mode" (gLoungeThermostat) [ "homekit:HeatingCoolingMode" ]

The heating / cooling mode is a bit of a fudge, I don’t have any such thing. Could that be the issue?

Is it worth starting a thread for just this issue?

Hi Simon,
might be worth it. Maybe someone has a solution for this issue. I would really like to get this fixed.

Hi!
Anyone made experiences with Alexa Routines and setting a Thermostat?
When i select a thermostat in the app i get the notification:" device not supported"

Best regards

@digitaldan Hi Dan! Could you please answer to my question? see here

EDIT: here is the answer!

Hello,
I have the same problem my Alexa set the right temperature but says "something went wrong"
could some one fix it?
Best reguards

Waiting eagerly for Openhab Alexa skill to support English(India). Eager to use it in India since echo devices have launched here. The openhab alexa skill is not available here yet.

I had this for a longer time as well. It was actually becuase my heating mode was undefined instead of somethign like: off, auto, heat or cool

1 Like

Hey guys,

at first - thanks for the skill - great work.

I’ve some troubles with the Humidity and alexa.

I am using Homematic CCU2 with several Homematic IP devices. One of these devices is one Wall mounted thermostat which is collecting the current temp, set point temp and humidity and much more.

CurrentTemperature and TargetTemperature are working fine. I’ve configured them as a part of a group which is tagged with “Thermostat”.
I’ve added another Thing with the Tag “CurrentHumidity” and exposed it via openhab cloud connector.

The “Thermostat” Group is shown at alexa - the “CurrentHumidity” Number not - Any clue?

Thanks in advance

I think that’s a shortcoming in Amazon’s implementation of their home automation protocol. Thermostat control is pretty basic via Alexa regardless of what it’s talking to (Nest/Hive/OpenHAB)

Hi, The skill is not available in India (English-India). please help…

Anyone else getting device is unresponsive to any OH devices with Alexa tonight?

Yes, see this thread.

Any news on the “open/close/stop” command topic? I mean are you really controlling your shutters like “set the shutters to 0/100%” or “switch the shutters off/on”?! How do you stop them then? This seems totally contrary to how natural you talk to the Echo otherwise…

1 Like

Humidity is not supported at the moment.

I like this skill and I started to port it to Alexa Smart Home Skill V3. I would create a github fork if the first version is ready. Or is anybody else working on it?

1 Like

Best would be to ask @digitaldan

You should open an issue to let others know you are working on this enhancement.

1 Like