Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

I had this for a longer time as well. It was actually becuase my heating mode was undefined instead of somethign like: off, auto, heat or cool

1 Like

Hey guys,

at first - thanks for the skill - great work.

I’ve some troubles with the Humidity and alexa.

I am using Homematic CCU2 with several Homematic IP devices. One of these devices is one Wall mounted thermostat which is collecting the current temp, set point temp and humidity and much more.

CurrentTemperature and TargetTemperature are working fine. I’ve configured them as a part of a group which is tagged with “Thermostat”.
I’ve added another Thing with the Tag “CurrentHumidity” and exposed it via openhab cloud connector.

The “Thermostat” Group is shown at alexa - the “CurrentHumidity” Number not - Any clue?

Thanks in advance

I think that’s a shortcoming in Amazon’s implementation of their home automation protocol. Thermostat control is pretty basic via Alexa regardless of what it’s talking to (Nest/Hive/OpenHAB)

Hi, The skill is not available in India (English-India). please help…

Anyone else getting device is unresponsive to any OH devices with Alexa tonight?

Yes, see this thread.

Any news on the “open/close/stop” command topic? I mean are you really controlling your shutters like “set the shutters to 0/100%” or “switch the shutters off/on”?! How do you stop them then? This seems totally contrary to how natural you talk to the Echo otherwise…

1 Like

Humidity is not supported at the moment.

I like this skill and I started to port it to Alexa Smart Home Skill V3. I would create a github fork if the first version is ready. Or is anybody else working on it?

1 Like

Best would be to ask @digitaldan

You should open an issue to let others know you are working on this enhancement.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve just installed OpenHAB and added some devices with the PaperUI and created some items.
Furthermore I’ve connected my OpenHAB to the cloud and installed the Alexa skill.

Now I’m a little bit confused what I habe to do to add my devices to Alexa.

For example:
I have added my Samsung TV by the SamsungTV-binding und created a Switch called “TV”, which controls the Mute-chanel.

What I have to do, to connect this Switch to the Alexa skill?

Regards
Philipp

Read the first couple of posts in this thread. Mainly you will have to tag your items according to the homekit addon:

http://docs.openhab.org/addons/ios/homekit/readme.html

Is this possible in PaperUI yet? You couldn’t add the required ‘tag’ via PaperUI in the stable 2.1 release but I’ve not tried the 2.2 snapshot so don’t know if it’s been added.

Creating a text file based item from the samples provided is easy though so don’t let that stop you @hmerk , just means you might also need to create a rule to map the Alexa ‘switch’ item to your PaperUI switch item that keeps them in sync.

Thx for the tip.
So I have to add these special tags to my item-definitions.
Do I have to create a new items file or where I can find the items file from the PaperUI, to edit them ?

And what is the purpose of groups?

Yes. See first post :kissing_heart:

You can’t, those items are stored in a jsondb, not in text files. Editing is not recommended.

Haven’t you found the docs yet? No problem:

http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/items.html#groups

To be honest: never tried PaperUI for that, I don’t know, sorry.

Good news: Our Alexa skill should now also be available in India!

1 Like

Question, will the official app ever support our own deployments of the cloud connector - without having to create a self-signed environment with Alexa? Or will it only ever officially work for myopenhab.org?

im happy to use in india

Thank you,
now it works fine.
:smiley:

1 Like