Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

If your language and location are set to Australian English / Australia you can’t get openhab in the skills list and it removes all your discovered devices.

1 Like

my account is perhaps still US based, however my alexas talk in australian to me and their location is australian - can you do something similar

Yeah I think it’s because my Amazon store account is Australian. I am subbed to prime video and occasionally buy things so it sees me as Australian no matter the echo settings. I really don’t want to have to setup a new dummy US account, deregister my three echo dots and re register again when the skill could just be updated

Yep that be it I’d say explains why mine works and yours doesn’t - I’m sure it will updated. In the mean time you could get web based Alexa control using

https://community.openhab.org/t/beta-openhab2-amazonechocontrol-binding-controlling-alexa-from-openhab2/37844/205

Can you summarise what you quoted as it has been removed.

Not sure what happened there

No doubt about it, eh?

I had to bother Ikea for a few weeks about this… for the first few go-rounds they insisted that their skill really was available (it wasn’t), but I guess that’s just because their Canadian PR people aren’t really involved with or aware of their Tradfri product line.

I don’t want to cross-post too much about this except to offer any help or assistance that may be required to make a Canadian OpenHAB Alexa skill possible.

I would like to know this as well. I have a Yale YRD446 smart lock with z-wave plus, and am very interested in being able to set up the same functionality that I am able to with SmartThings.

Currently with SmartThings, I have figured out how to change the lock codes, and I have also figured out how to have it send me a push notification with the name of the code when it is used.

I would really like to know if any of this is possible, or is at the very least being worked on and will be possible in the near future. I don’t have the hardware required for me to be able to test this out myself yet, and knowing this may impact my decision to buy the required hardware or not.

What do I need to do so Alexa knows the state of the lamps etc?

Right now I can ask Alexa to turn on or turn off lights etc… but I can not ask something like Alexa which lamps are on.

So If I connect the 2 will I be able to control Alexa smart home items from in openhab? Or is it only openhab items from Alexa ?

It will only let you control openHAB items from Alexa. To do the other thing they will probably have to add a binding for Alexa in openHAB.

This is to control openHAB from Alexa. To control Alexa from openHAB, have a look at Beta: Openhab2 AmazonEchoControl Binding (controlling alexa from openhab2).

Do you know if Axexa can grab a Humidity value from MQTT and output them?

I have a DHT11 Temp and Humidity sensor connected through MySensors and shows my bedroom Temp and Humidity. I would like to ask

“Alexa, what is the Bedroom Humidity” and she responds the Humidity that is reading. Is this possible? I have the temperature working, but humidity is not showing under my devices in the Alexa devices page.

Number mqtt_bedroom_humidity “Bedroom Humidity [%.1f %%]” (gMasterBedroom, gHumidSensors) [“CurrentHumidity”] {mqtt="<[mosquitto:mysensors-out/1/1/1/0/1:state:default]"}

Also, is there a list of all tags supported by Alexa?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Humidity isn’t supported by the Alexa Home Skill API. So we will have to wait for them to add it.

I have a Trane XR524 Z-Wave thermostat. It has two setpoints for heating and cooling. How do I make it so that Alexa can address them separately?

I have tried to bind them to the same item, and create two “TargetTemperature” tags on separate heat and cool in my items file. It technically dose work, but causes my thermostat to freak out sense both setponts can be the same number due to the Delta separation that it want to keep between then.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

This is excellent! Unfortunately the openhab skill is not available for the Canadian market yet. Do you have any ideas when it will be?

I suggest deploying it yourself until it becomes available.

Great skill, thanks guys! It really makes life easier/more fun.

Not sure if this is on the wish list already, but with the AmazonEchoControl binding enabling for text to Speech (TTS), it would be great to ask Alexa questions as well in addition to commands. This could be “Where”, “Who” and “What” instead of “Switch”, “Activate” or “Set”.

A feature like this would enable for status queries like “Where is Tom right now?” (Alexa: “Tom is at home”, “Tom is at 22 main street, Liverpool, England”) or just simple status updates.

Anything like this in the roadmap?

I have adde an humidity device and for the homekit i have added [ “CurrentHumidity” ] like on openhab site, and on my home application on iphone it appear, but both alexa and google home don’t find it. Why?

Humidity isnt supported