Official Alexa Smart Home Skill for openHAB 2

Sorry for the confusion, I was just replying to Andrew as of why I just use the home skill and not the binding.

Having two Alexa apps is confusing :slight_smile:

1 Like

When in Italian?? :pray::pray::blush:

It’s in review now, I don’t have an update when Amazon will approve, but I will respond back here when i know.

2 Likes

All, Amazon rejected our initial submission. They are requiring additional information in the skills description. I have added the english version for the additional detail, but I need help with the translation into Spanish, French, German and Italian. If this is something you can help with, I would be extremely appreciative! Translations can be done by anyone at https://crowdin.com/project/openhab-alexa . Thanks in advance!

The Amazon Echo Control binding is different then the skill discussed here, a quick search on the forum shows you probably want to post something like https://community.openhab.org/t/amazon-echo-control-binding-2-3-not-working

@digitaldan, great to hear it’s getting close. Quick question, will authenticating against once own openHAB Cloud be an option?

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Quick question, will authenticating against once own openHAB Cloud be an option?

Your would need to deploy the skill on your own amazon account, which others here have done.

Just an FYI, I resubmitted the skill on Monday and also pinged our contact within Amazon to see if they could do anything to get us higher up in the review queue .

5 Likes

Really looking forward to this!

Hi Dan, any update from amazon?
I look for amazon new skill arrival on italian site every 4h but they just publish trash skills.
I can’t wait anymore :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Dan, that sounds great, when it’s expected to be available on Spanish (ES)? Is there any way to contribute with tech knowledge to make it happen?

All the best!

Hi,

Does anyone know whats the syntax for humidity. Strangely I can read my humidity value from DHT22 via openhab but when asking Alexa to provide humidity reading in Living room it says that "Living room doesnt support that"

This is my item for humidity:

Number Humidity_GF_Living "Living Room [%.1f %%]"        <humidity>   (Humidity, GF_Living) [ "CurrentHumidity" ] { mqtt="<[broker:/sonoff/switch5/humidity:state:default]"} 	

Everything seems to be working fine when asking Alexa about temperature reading in Living room it will report correctly.

The current item for temperature is as follows:

Number Temperature_GF_Living "Living Room Temp [%.1f °C]"   <temperature>   (Temperature, GF_Living) [ "CurrentTemperature" ] { mqtt="<[broker:/sonoff/switch5/temperature:state:default]"}

Alexa doesn’t support humidity right now. It’s not a problem of the skill, it is Alexa itself who is not capable to read humidity. If you have the Alexa control binding installed you can create a switch which triggers alexa to tell the humidity and a routine to trigger the switch to let Alexa say “humidity in living room is 43 percent.”.

Hi Dan,
We are still waiting for the Alexa skill release from amazon.it
Have you any problem with it?
Can we help you?
Regards
Lorenzo

Hi, we were rejected with no cause. I have resubmitted it and am trying to get additional support from our Amazon contact. Very frustrating.

6 Likes

Hi,

is there any detailed documentation on how to get a developer version on amazon for testing? I tried to follow the description in the readme but the web interface seems to have changed a lot since the last time i did something there (around 2 years ago) and also some things from the readme do not seem to match the new interface.

I want to do some alexa skill development but its hard to get into it… Any pointers would be nice.

I already have openhab skill deployed as lambda but i can not find the part for “Under “Event Sources” add a “smart home skill” event source, for Application Id, add the Application Id from the Alexa developer portal” in the config. Also the reference links from amazon do not work anymore or are old and do not reflect the new interface.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers Sam

Edit:
Nevermind, i was on the wrong tier. No Smarthome in EU Frankfurt… Now i just need to setup auth…

Thanks Dan, Let us know if we can help you.
Can we push amazon to get the skill approved?
Regards
Lorenzo

2 Likes

Works like a treat to deploy it as your own ‘development skill’

Would there be any “how to” for those of us that are not so PC literate? I have managed to follow other Amazon developer options to deploy skills such as Google for Amazon skill, but it can get very confusing for those not having a Phd in programming :astonished:

Thanx Chris.