Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB

Tag the Switch Item that controls your garage door with switchable. Synchronize the devices with Google and you can say “OK Google, turn on the garage door” and it will send the ON command to that Switch.

Once that works you can create a Google Assistant Routine that responds to “Open the garage door”, “Close the garage door” or what ever other variation you want by turning on the garage door.

The routines you define in Google Assistant on your phone will be available on all of your Google Assistant devices. It even works with my Google AIY Voice kit.

I don’t use PaperUI for adding Items so I am not familiar with that method. I use .items files. How did you specify the Tags using PaperUI. I don’t see an entry field for Tags in the PaperUI Item dialog.

I just listed my Items through Karaf. Even though I use double quotes in my .items files for the Tags, the Karaf entries do not show the quotes. Try defining your Tags without the quotation marks.

I tried it but problem remains the same.
Console now shows:
openhab> smarthome:items list
Lampenuit (Type=SwitchItem, State=OFF, Label=Allesuit, Category=OK, Tags=[Switchable])

Probably the problem as @HomeBoss mentions?
Your issue is something Google is struggling width. The same issues are reported for the Dutch language (also launched today).

Hi Morten.
Google is using stagging updates, which means not everyone gets the update at the same time. You could be one of those still missing. On the other hands, I have seen in another danish forum, that others are having simular problem. I did as well a week ago. I do however tend to use APK mirro (for my Android phone) to get latest update manually. I dont know if this will have any influence on the danish language though.

Anyway - Did you change your langauge in the Google Home app? (under settings). I had to do this manually a week ago, when I finally had the chance to choose danish. I also removed the English (US) which I had used untill I could choose the danish language…Perhaps you should try that as well?

Perhaps. Although I am surprised that a language setting would cause the service not to be linked. I would have thought that the language issue would be evident when requesting actions via a voice command and the action not able to interpret the command. Nevertheless, as a test to confirm, you could change the language in you Google Home app to English, try to link openHAB, and see what the result is. If it fails, then it’s not the language issue. If it succeeds, then it seems you’ll have to wait for your language support to be included and for it to roll out to you.

No it´s not the same problem. Morten´s problem is regarding choosing the danish langauge. You problem is regarding connection and tagging of Google Assistant devices. I believe you are missing both.
First of all:
Make 120% sure, that you have your item and tagging set correctly. Check, doubble check and tripple check. Google integration WILL fail if you make an mistake.

As far as I understand, you´re using PaperUI to set the tagging. I dont think thats gona work. As far as I remember you can only use Karaf or Habmin. Or you could do you items in a items file. Using items files is much easier than anything else.
This is how my items is defined, and integrated with Google Home Assistant:
(temperatur controle in a room)

Group g_aktivitet_TSTAT 		"Aktivitet Thermostat" 																[ "Thermostat" ]
Number aktivitet_Temperature 		"Aktivitetsrum Temperatur [%.1f °C]" 						<cu_heating> 	(g_aktivitet_TSTAT,Temperatur,gTvaer) 		[ "CurrentTemperature" ]	{ihc="6509588"}
Number aktivitet_Tempsetpunkt 		"Aktivitetsrum Temperature setpunkt [%.1f °C]" 					<temperature> 	(g_aktivitet_TSTAT)				[ "TargetTemperature" ]		{ihc="10158356"}

Second: When you are absolute sure that your item is set correctly, Do the integration correctly as well.
Remove the integration from myopenhab.org. Remove the openhab device in Google Home app, and try integrate again. You may have to do it twice to work, this is a known issue.

Small note:
You have to have atleast ONE item tagged before Google Assistant will work. Start with one, and only one. Make sure it´s correct. Then I´m possivtive it will be working.

Thats not the problem he is suffering from. I guess it was a frustrating suggestion, which I understand.
He needs to get his tagging and connection right. Then Google Assistant will work, either with english or dutch langauge, it doesnt matter.

However - People in denmark has reported they cant use danish either. But if they remove the english language from their phone, danish will be working. I did the same a week ago, when I received the danish update. First I chose danish and then removed the english language, (which I had been using for months without problems). Danish worked partly the very same moment I made the change, and fully (as full as it gets these days) the day after.

Hi Kim

I think that I have the latest version (2.6.6.19) of the Home App. I only had Danish installed, but just tried with German, and that works as well as English. Maybe all there is to do is to wait and see - looks like a problem with Danish.

I know Google is using stagging updates, which mean not all get the update at the same time. But I would have suspected they were ready for all today, as it´s officially released today. As mentioned, I got the danish language a week ago…
Have you tried manually search for updates at Play Store?

Good, that confirms what I suspected. Language is not what’s keeping @Shansen from being able to link Google Assistant to openHAB.

@Shansen - perhaps now that you have “corrected” the Tag, you should try a clean re-link (delete the application in myopenhab, etc.). Also, As @Kim_Andersen suggests, perhaps you should try declaring your Item by using an .items file instead… at least as a test. Even though you are using Karaf to add the Tag, maybe the PaperUI/Karaf “interaction” is leaving something declared improperly.

I also have Danish installed and got it about a week ago. But commands for lights etc. does not work. I can ask it for the news in Danish, what is playing in the local cinema, look up wiki entries etc, but no commands. Is 2.6.6.19 not the latest app?

I´m using 2.6.6.19.
I´m sitting here playing with it right now… Yesterday evening everything worked, but right now “she” very often tells me she “dont know” or “cant help with that yet”. Half minute later, I can control everything again.
I just added a switchable tag to our garagedoor opener. And it took me quite a few shots to get her to open it, even though I could read eaxctly what I say on the screen (using voice commands on my smartphone and Google Home app, it will show you the command you speak).
I even had problems getting “her” to sync my devices. A coupple of minutes before, it worked just fine. then 5-6 tries she fails, and then suddenly it works again.

So I guess Google is struggling to get it better right now. All my lights, dimmers and switches seems to be working right now, that includes my Hue´s as well as all my IHC devices.

Ahh damn… Routines is not part of the service and app here in denmark, yet. But it sure sounded like an easy way to make it work.

It seems strange. I can sync my devices in English, but “she” doesn’t know what I mean in Danish. I bought the Home in the US when it first came out. I have attached a screenshot from the settings that states that it is country code US and Language English (US). There is no way to change this. Could this be the problem?

I’ve bought a Google Home a year ago. A US model.
A couple of days ago I’ve switched to Dutch.
The country code is still the US, but the language is Dutch now.
You should be able to switch to Danish in a couple of days.

How did you switch it to Dutch? I can change the preferred language in the app but not on the Home device itself.

This is my device info. I bought this Google Home Mini several months ago from Proshop. I have not noticed if it said US model. Whats seem strange is, that you´re having the same system and cast firmware.

Morten, have you tried remove the power to you Google home device?

Yes and I just tried a factory reset, but now it won’t connect to my wifi. It says that it might not work since the device is made for another country. So I’m pretty stuck.