Offline account and cannot get it online for remote access

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: _ Intel Core i5-5200U CPU 2.20GHz / 8GB RAM /1TB HDD
    • Java Runtime Environment:
      java version “10.0.2” 2018-07-17
      Java™ SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13)
      Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13, mixed mode)
    • openHAB version: openHAB2 (2.3.0)

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Just joined this forum as I am sure you will be able to help me.

I am not a programmer, or a designer like a lot of you good people, and openHAB is a totally new thing for me. And so is Java. All I know about that is that I have always had it and updated it. I am comfortable doing things on the computer, but by no means an expert. Now to the problem…

I decided to use openHAB to intergrate my smart home (Loxone, Sonos, Amazon echo and Show, TVs, etc), so I have set up and account, and set the wrapper up so it starts when my PC starts, all good and fine. The problem has come when I want to set up my remote access. I have read literally 40 odd posts or more, and spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out myself, but my account starts OK (uuid and secret both generated and dropped in the userdata and cloud folders), and once my account registered it opened with offline in it. And this is where it has sat. I have not received any correspondance back from openHAB to activate account (it seems everyone else has had this correspondance). It is not in my spam folders or my emails at all. I have even deleted my account and tried to use another email, but still nothing. I have tried re installing openHAB too, but this has made no difference. I cannot get online with my cloud account, and I can only guess this is because the account is not activated. But with no direct email for support, where do I go with it? Hence I have come to the community.

I know that people here must be getting pretty sick and tired of nebies like me with limited knowledge asking these stupid questions (and I do understand that), but my patience has now worn out with this, and I really want to be able to use openHAB fo my home. By far better than Loxones remote UI, and any otheres I can find.

Sorry once again to ask what may be a stupid question. I did look at installing Zulu to see if that made a difference, but I could not even fathom how to install that from the unzipped file.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could spare their time to help me along.

Many Thanks

Brad

Brad, welcome aboard!!
A quick note on your environment, I am afraid Java 10 is not officially supported yet. It may work, but could run into tricky issues. I suggest you use JDK 8.

1 Like

Thank You very much.

I will change that tonight once I get back to the PC. There was so much choice, and not really knowing anything about Java, I thought I would just go for the newest.

Thankyou @diyha

1 Like