OH 2.2 Z-Way sitemap freezes after an hour

Good morning everybody,

I’m experiencing some problems since I updated OpenHAB from 2.0 to 2.2.
Everything seems to be fine in the beginning, then the reaction times for my Z-Way items get slower and until it doesn’t react any more. First, I thought there were some issues with the Chromecast and/or the TR064 bindings and uninstalled them both. Now only Z-Way remains and the issue still occurs.
After a reboot everything works fine for around an hour and then the same story again.
I also checked the logs and set them to debug but don’t see any obvious issues other then there are delays:

Timeout of 30000ms exceeded while calling
’ThingHandler.handleUpdate()’ on 'org.openhab.binding.zway.handler.ZWayZWaveDeviceHandler@1839108’
The task was still queued.

Would be great if you had some ideas what could cause this issue.

Thanks,
Johannes

Do you need the Zway intermediate controller or can you install the z-wave
binding and directly control your z-wave devices?

Hi

I have installed openHAB in December and started using Z-Way. I have noticed that CPU usage was huge (over 100%) and after a few hours system started to block, additionally there were errors with parsing JSONs from Z-Way API.

After a few days of testing I gave up and switched to Z-Wave binding - works like miracle and CPU is up to 3%.

Cheers,
Piotr “Rook”

Thanks for your answers!
@e-rook The binding with ZWay indeed took over my CPU completely. Strange enough since it worked without any issues on the older OpenHab versions.
@robjkamp Actually I went to ZWay because none of my devices is recognized or only partialy initialized (though most of them are in the database, e.g. Danfoss LC 13)). I had similar issues with ZWay but by using the reinterrogation function I was able to include them bit by bit and they worked perfectly. I tried it again to switch to Z-Wave binding today and I had the same issues…

I experienced the same behavior on my Raspi 3. After few hours ntp, Z-Way status exchange, influx feeding stopped updating in openhab. Z-Wave was running stable without issues. After a reboot openhab was ok till it overloaded again. It took me two weeks of hard work to find log entries or the root cause. I updated to the last snap shot version with no success. Now I set up a new SD card with openhab 2.1 and everything is running as years before.

@marker Thanks for your answer. That actually worked for me.
For documentation purposes here’s what I did: First I tried to get the Z-Wave binding running (RPi3 + Razperry GPIO board) in OpenHab 2.2 supported by all the threads in this forum. Unfortunately, still this was very instable: either the board would be “OFFLINE” or only briefly online. Once I managed to keep it online (not reproducable though) but then non of my nodes was initialized properly (see the other post).
Then I downgraded to 2.1 and tried the same without any luck. After I switched back to Z-Way on 2.1 everything works smooth again.
The only thing I didn’t try and might do so later is to erase the Z-Way server completely or use a new image without it and see if the Z-Wave binding works then.