OH on Synology

Hi, yes new items are but I’ve got a couple of existing that still work so I was hoping that - assuming the process is the same through docker - I would either leave these on my pi if they weren’t transferable - or just update the OH cloud with my docker instance to continue using it.

I also switched from a raspberry pi to Synology (DS1815+) around 1,5 years ago. First I used the native OH Synology package but faced some challenges there. E.g. updates or the possibility to move the files to a shared folder where I can backup it with native solutions. In the end I got it working but then started to use docker a lot and at the moment everything runs within a docker container. It’s stable since over a year now, so can’t complain. If I have to update the Synology station or docker on it, I can live with that little downtime since OH is anyway only used for convinience stuff and I can still do everything with my KNX solution.

Besides this, docker has the advantage for me to be highly migrateable since I can just start a Pi install docker there and just move the data files. Could of course do the same on my PC/Notebook as a short term solution if my NAS has some problem.

Using ds218+ and docker.
Definitely go for docker, as it is 100% separate from the rest. Updates are also super easy: just start a new container with the new version. You also get milestone builds.

After all, i really love the docker concept.

For example, deconz graphana are also running in seperate docker containers. I have two sticks mapped into openhab, zigbee and elero (rollershutter).

Also, with synology backups, everything gets backuped every night. I do not have to worry about config and data backups. Migrating or recovery is also super easy. 100% pro docker and synology. And docker is super performant.