OH2.2.0 unable to start via LaunchDaemon on macOS

startup
osx
macos
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fd31823b6b0> #<Tag:0x00007fd31823a940> #<Tag:0x00007fd31823a5f8>

(Manolo) #1

Hi,

I’ve just upgraded from OH 2.1.0 to 2.2.0 and noticed that my LaunchDaemon is not working any longer.
The following is shown in the log file:

2017-08-30 12:50:54.536 [WARN ] [org.jline                           ] - Unable to create a system terminal, creating a dumb terminal (enable debug logging for more information)
2017-08-30 12:52:23.786 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at http://10.0.55.5:9080
2017-08-30 12:52:23.792 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at https://10.0.55.5:9443
2017-08-30 12:52:26.190 [INFO ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP PUT request at 'items/Zaehler_WP/state' for the unknown item 'Zaehler_WP'.
2017-08-30 12:52:54.413 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped dashboard

and my LaunchDaemon:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
	<dict>
	    <key>StandardOutPath</key>
	    <string>/Users/macadmin/Desktop/openhab2/daemon.log</string>
	    <key>StandardErrorPath</key>
	    <string>/Users/macadmin/Desktop/openhab2/daemon.log</string>  
	    <key>KeepAlive</key>
	    <false/>
	    <key>Label</key>
	    <string>org.openhab.server</string>
	    <key>EnvironmentVariables</key>
	    <dict>
	      <key>OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT</key>
	      <string>9080</string>
	      <key>OPENHAB_HTTPS_PORT</key>
	      <string>9443</string>
	    </dict>
	    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
                <string>/Users/macadmin/Desktop/openhab2/start_debug.sh</string>
        </array>
	    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
	    <true/>    
	    <key>UserName</key>
		<string>macadmin</string>
	</dict>
</plist>

Any ideas?
Thanks, Manolo

Announcing openHAB 2.2
(Manolo) #2

Nobody has an idea? With OH 2.1.0 it’s working like a charm.
Thanks, Manolo

(Kai Kreuzer) #3

Sorry - deleted my previous reply, because I thought it is about the “org.jline” log message, but reading the log more closely, I see that it is about openHAB shutting down…
Do you have anything in your addons folder? If so, you might be stumbled over this issue.

(Manolo) #4

It’s the snapshot without any modifications. I also got this error message while LaunchDaemon tried to start openhab:

Error in initialization script: /Users/macadmin/Desktop/oh-2.2.0/userdata/etc/shell.init.script: String index out of range: 0

Many thanks for your help,
Manolo

(Robert Banniza) #5

I have the same issue, Also tried it already with UserAgent to have the current user.

org.jline                           ] - Unable to create a system terminal, creating a dumb terminal (enable debug logging for more information)

and

Launching the openHAB runtime...
Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 5005

e[31m                         e[0m __  _____    ____      e[0m
e[31m  ____  ____  ___  ____  e[0m/ / / /   |  / __ )     e[0m
e[31m / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \e[0m/ /_/ / /| | / __  | e[0m
e[31m/ /_/ / /_/ /  __/ / / / e[0m__  / ___ |/ /_/ /      e[0m
e[31m\____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/e[0m_/ /_/_/  |_/_____/     e[0m
e[31m    /_/                       e[0m 2.2.0-SNAPSHOTe[0m
e[31m                              e[0m Build #1065   e[0m

Hit 'e[1m<tab>e[0m' for a list of available commands
and 'e[1m[cmd] --helpe[0m' for help on a specific command.
Hit 'e[1m<ctrl-d>e[0m' or type 'e[1msystem:shutdowne[0m' or 'e[1mlogoute[0m' to shutdown openHAB.

Error in initialization script: /Users/peterbanniza/Downloads/openhab-2-2/userdata/etc/shell.init.script: String index out of range: 0
openhab> 

I also already modified the system.properties file with

karaf.shell.init.script = etc/shell.init.script,etc/scripts/*.script

like mentioned here

do you found a workaround @manolo

(Manolo) #6

I mentioned the problem but got no helpful feedback up until now. Seems to be there’s no solution or the software is far too beta…I switched back to stable release.
Cheers,
M

(Norman Sand) #7

Hi all,

I tried to upgrade to the stable release of OH 2.2 and have exactly the same error:

"Unable to create a system terminal, creating a dumb terminal"

when using the LaunchDeamon on macOS.

To check if there is a problem with my configuration, I used a clean install: I unpacked the source files without any modification and started it via LaunchDaemon, but the error is the same. A direct start with “./start.sh” works like it should.

Any ideas what’s wrong here?

Cheers
Norman

(Robert Banniza) #8

maybe an update to Karaf 4.1.4 could help. it was to late for 2.2.0 like mentioned here https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/issues/519

(Norman Sand) #9

Thank you for the advice. I rolled back to 2.1 and will wait until a fix is provided. :slight_smile:

(Juelicher) #10

I am not sure, if the “Unable to create a system terminal, creating a dumb terminal” really is a problem. I have seen it before, when launching from the shell, and openHAB started without further problems.

Nonetheless starting openHAB 2.2 via launchdaemon fails, I get the following errors:

2017-12-30 18:21:31.415 [WARN ] [lipse.smarthome.io.net.exec.ExecUtil] - Execution failed (Exit value: -559038737. Caused by java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "arping" (in directory "."): error=2, No such file or directory)
2017-12-30 18:22:12.236 [ERROR] [xtext.validation.CompositeEValidator] - Error executing EValidator
java.util.ConcurrentModificationException: null

I can not say, if it ever worked with openHAB2, I migrated in the last weeks and always started from the command line until now, but it has never been a problem with openHAB 1.x

(Norman Sand) #11

Yes, it is a problem - at least on my server. It’s not only the warning, openHAB won’t start at all. No problems with oH 2.1.

(Juelicher) #12

Sure, not starting is a problem. But I do not know, if the message “Unable to create a system terminal, creating a dumb terminal” is related to that.

Can't run 2.2 or higher using LaunchDaemon on Mac
(Robert Banniza) #13

Can’t you install arping (via Homebrew) and try again?

(Juelicher) #14

Not sure, if you meant me. I already installed arpping using macports.

(Per Medin) #15

No solution in sight?

(Rtaxerxes) #16

Any update on this? I am upgrading from 2.0 to 2.2 and get the same error, and it seems Openhab is not completing its start procedure because I keep getting notified Openhab is online when it connects to the myopenhab service.

(Rtaxerxes) #17

I’ve tried to update Karaf as per that bug, but it did not solve the issue.

I have also tried the 2.3.0-SNAPSHOT and it doesn’t solve the problem.

Is there any other way to automatically start Openhab on a Mac without a Launchdaemon? I’ve rolled back to 2.1 so long.

(Manolo) #18

Hi

lot of time went by but this error still exists. RC2.1.0 is working fine but 2.2.0 or 2.3.0-SNAPSHOT are still having this issue. It is not possible to start openhab2 via a launchdaemon.

Is someone able to provide a solution?
Btw I already tried a fresh install so it is not specific to my configuration.
Best regards,
Manolo

(Manolo) #19

Aloha,

is someone able to provide a hint or an idea how to fix this bug or a workaround?
Many thanks,
Manolo

(Manolo) #20

Hi all,

is someone still supporting openhab? I know it’s becoming spring and people spent more time outdoor but this issue persists since 8 month at least.
@Kai are you able to provide me with a hint how to solve this issue?
I already tried a fresh install fro 2.2 and 2.3 snapshot but still the LaunchDaemon doesn’t work.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Manolo