OH2 and Z-Wave Healing

Just sharing … in case others are wondering about the same … hope this helps.

I have a bunch of z-wave devices, but no security related items at all (like door locks would be). So until now I was watching this huge topic of the refactoring as a spectator.

There was one topic that I was curious about though: zwave network healing. Apparently it was working in OH1 but isn’t in the current OH2 binding (2.0).
My Network looked like this after 2+ months:

Notice the 2 devices on the far right…

Yesterday I went through the pain of removing all items and switching over to the 2.1 version of the binding. Immediately afterwards the network looked like this:

(just ID 18 not added yet, as it hadn’t initialized yet)
One night later, it looks like this:

1 Like

Newest snapshot or development/refactoring?

I used the one that is linked on the top of the huge refactoring / security post … which is labeled “2.1.0-SNAPSHOT” and dated 2017-04-23 :
http://www.cd-jackson.com/downloads/openhab2/org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

A few posts in there is @ptmuldoon 's 10 step instruction … I followed those and had to be extremely patient after step 10 … initially most devices showed up as unknown.

1 Like

For about how long time where you patient? :slight_smile:
And did you add the devices only after they where known, or did you re-add unknown devices?

I have no known devices after hours. All the zwave xml files has

<manufacturer>0x7fffffff</manufacturer><deviceId>0x7fffffff</deviceId><deviceType>0x7fffffff</deviceType>

Had to go back to regular binding last night, to get back some functionality of the house, but the heal will certainly help my set-up.

I’m not sure … maybe 30 minutes or so … but I have 18 out of 20 devices on mains power, which means they should not sleep. And my 2 remaining battery powered devices I was actively waking up …

And yes, I always waited for a device to be identified before adding it. The last one I added after a nights’ waiting - it was a battery powered one.

OK, thanks. I guess there’s something incompatible in my set-up, but I’ll let it spin a few more hours before giving up.
(I have about 60-70 devices, only about 10 battery powered).

I have nothing close to that many devices, but I remember most items showed up pretty quickly.

If you haven’t, check your logs to make sure no errors. And I believe you still need to manually start the serial binding, even after an OH2 update as well.

I had to go back to the old binding, since 24h did not change anything. Yes, the serial binding is started. I had some trouble getting all up, but after I tried a couple of things, it looks to be running as it should, just that the xml’s has no device information. I think I read in the big thread, that this might mean that the devices never goes through the complete initialization/startup. I don’t see why no device get’s through though.

Sometimes it is a bit tricky finding issues with many nodes, simply because of the amount of log data is produced. And I don’t really know what to look for - which issues can cause this behaviour. I haven’t seen anything obvious (to me).

But:- it is easy to try the new binding, I just have to stop ‘production oh’ and start test oh, so I have not given up for good. Just need some time and help to know what to look for.