OH2/ESH DMX binding

There is a typo in the documentation, which goes through all versions.

Bridge dmx:sacn-bridge:mybridge [ mode="unicast", address="192.168.0.60", universe=2] {
 color  rgb    [dmxid="5/3", fade=1000]
 dimmer single [dmxid="50", fade=1000, turnonvalue="230" ]
 chaser ampel  [dmxid="10,12,13", steps="100:255,0,0:1000|100:255,255,0:500|100:0,0,255:1000|100:0,255,0:500]"] 
}

chaser ampel  [dmxid="10,12,13", steps="100:255,0,0:1000|100:255,255,0:500|100:0,0,255:1000|100:0,255,0:500]"]

should be

chaser ampel  [dmxid="10,12,13", steps="100:255,0,0:1000|100:255,255,0:500|100:0,0,255:1000|100:0,255,0:500]

See differences at the end of the line

Hi Jan,
thank you for fixing the typo :slight_smile:
I configure all my things and items without PaperUI and the examples are not working for me. So I spent a lot of time last night for testing and I think there are some more mistakes in the examples for ITEMS and THINGS.

Here my suggestion, please checkā€¦
Changed fade to fadetime
Added dimtime and turnoffvalue for more detailed example.

Bridge dmx:sacn-bridge:mybridge [ mode="unicast", address="192.168.0.60", universe=2] {
 color  rgb    [dmxid="5/3",fadetime=1000, dimtime=2000]
 dimmer single [dmxid="50", fadetime=1000, turnonvalue="230", turnoffvalue="20" ]
 chaser ampel  [dmxid="10,12,13", steps="100:255,0,0:1000|100:255,255,0:500|100:0,0,255:1000|100:0,255,0:500" ] 
}

Changed channel-config:
For the color-item Iā€™m not 100% sure, if itā€™s correct

Color MyColorItem "My Color Item" { channel="dmx:dimmer:mybridge:rgb:color" }
Dimmer MyDimmerItem "My Dimmer Item" { channel="dmx:dimmer:mybridge:single:brightness" }
Switch MyChaserItem "My Chaser Item" { channel="dmx:chaser:mybridge:ampel:switch" }

Regards
Michael

2 Likes

@Doxer, thank you very much for pointing that out. I donā€™t use textual configuration, it just slipped through my attention.

Best Regards,

Jan

@J-N-K, thanks for the updated file. Sorry for the late response, i was on vacation.
Nearly everything is working like expected. I can add a tunable white and it is possible to fade between the colortemp, adjusting the brightness etc all is working great.

But I have one Problem, if i want to control the light via switch, it wont turn on. I have programed rule to increase the percentage of the Dimmeritem, no switchitem. In the Paperui or Habpanel i can see the increased/decreased Value of the Item but nothing happens with the light itself, only the slider is moving. When i then try to control the slider with the mouse on the web everything is working as aspected.
If i use the same funktion with the normal ā€œdimmer singleā€ the rule works without any problem.

Best Regrads, Oliver

Hi all,
So I have decided to change over to ESH binding vs the OLA which I am using today.

There are a few catches with this though:

1. the esh uses an ethernet device, which means that we add another component that could fail, the router/switch. This might at some point burn, stop working and leave me in darkness, untill the store opens and i can get a new router. (I do have an extra RPI laying incase the OH server blows upā€¦)

2. change of IP which is easy to fix for me, not so easy for my spouseā€¦

3. Also the ethernet esh device(100++ USD, any tips which one to get?) is more expensive than the usb dongle which I am currently using.

But the pros are that it can handle multiple universes :slight_smile:

How do I redefine my items?

Color LL1 "LL1"(Group_DMX,Group_DMX_LivingRoom, Group_DMX_Dinner,Group_DMX_Wall) {dmx="CHANNEL[25,26,27:100000]"}

All the rules etc should work thoughā€¦ Let me know if you guys want me to share my DMX rules.

@Oliver1, do you use postUpdate or sendCommand? It sounds like postUpdate, which only updates the itemā€™s state but does not forward the new state to the attached bindings. Please try to use sendCommand. If you already do, please show your rule.

@skatun, you can still use OLA and your old USB device. Please try to follow this post. It should work without external networking (the loopback device should be ok). Please try the latest version of the binding (uninstall via Paper UI, drop this file in your addons folder) and create a new color thing, I would suggest to use Paper UI, you can link the thing to your items directly there.

Regards,

Jan

1 Like

Installing OLA is a pain on RPI, I have it working with the old dmx binding.
However it restarts itself once a day or so, flickering of light, and sometimes it switches on one random channel after all has been turned off and I am considering getting dmx controller for ws2811 ledstrips, but these will eat my channels and hence I was thinking about getting an ethernet to dmx dongle and change over to ESH. What would @J-N-K do?

You can buy very cheap ethernet2dmx gateways from Ulrich Radig.

So I need 1 of these + casing+ din clamp to control up to 8 neopixel ws2811 (120euro) or use 8 of these which puts me back 32 euro!

Then I need another one (70euro) for controlling my dmx controller(I do use less then 512 channels, but maybe I still should get the 4ch one 100euro?)

The 1Universe should be more than enough. I use two of them with the same universe and still have plenty of channels left.

With this you can control up to 169Leds at least according to the project documentation.

When you have 60 leds per meter that gives you 3meter led stripā€¦ I did order 80meter, so I need a fewā€¦

Oh wow. But I guess you can not use this many channels with your usb device so you need to buy something special, too.

Use a static IP, this should prevent problems

I have been running stuff for 3 years now and not a single failure (3 Artnet Gateways)

@skatun, I agree with @Spaceman_Spiff, networking equipment is very reliable. I ordered one of Ulrich Radigā€™s ArtNet nodes myself, but did not test yet. Iā€™m using a sACN-bridge from DIY LED Express, but these are not available in europe, you habe to order in the US.
For lots of WS2811 I would test the LED strip controllers linked above, they should work directly with the DMX binding (they use sACN), so no need for an additional gateway.

Regards,

Jan

I need some help setting up my ArtNet, Iā€™m kind of stuck now. There are really a lot of posts about dmx, ArtNet and openhab2, but because of the many changes that have been done there, it is extremely hard to filter out the valid info. I would suggest to mark the threads about old bindings as obsolete, if possible?

Anyway, I switched from OH1.8 (where DMX was working) to OH2.2, and after several hours of trying I still donā€™t get my ArtNet DMX working again. I use the default binding version that comes with OH2.2. It seems to be sending out ArtNet packets with 0 on all channels (because when I use PC_DIMMER to repeatedly set another value, the light gets turned off every 800ms or so).

I use file configuration and started off based on the example in the binding doc, and I also found several variations to that example in this forum which I also tried. So my question is basically: is file-base configuration of ArtNet-DMX working with the current binding release? Iā€™m not sure if I need another binding version, OLA, another configuration, PaperUI-based configuration, or just a reboot (kidding, Iā€™ve done that a dozen times, because apparently one cannot rely on the changes in the files being integrated correctly without reboot).

Please, if anyone has a working ArtNet config, post your bridge, thing and item config or whatever you did to get it runningā€¦

Hi yannick_hein,
I made my config filebased and here is it for your reference.
Iā€™m using DMX (from Ulrich Radig) to illuminate my home-cinema in the basement.

//DMX-Things
Bridge dmx:artnet-bridge:mybridge [ mode="unicast", address="192.168.100.91", universe=0, applycurve="1,2,3,4,5,6"] {
 dimmer KNO_LED_R	 [dmxid="1", fadetime=7000, dimtime=3000, turnonvalue="255", turnoffvalue="0" ]
 dimmer KNO_LED_G [dmxid="2", fadetime=7000, dimtime=3000, turnonvalue="255", turnoffvalue="0" ]
 dimmer KNO_LED_B	 [dmxid="3", fadetime=7000, dimtime=3000, turnonvalue="255", turnoffvalue="0" ]

dimmer KNO_GUV_4 [dmxid="4", fadetime=5000, dimtime=3000, turnonvalue="255", turnoffvalue="0" ]
 dimmer KNO_GUV_5 [dmxid="5", fadetime=5000, dimtime=3000, turnonvalue="255", turnoffvalue="0"  ]
 dimmer KNO_GUV_6 [dmxid="6", fadetime=5000, dimtime=3000, turnonvalue="255", turnoffvalue="0"  ]

}
//DMX-Items
Dimmer	GUV1 "Kino BĆ¼hne GUV"	{ channel="dmx:dimmer:mybridge:KNO_GUV_4:brightness" }
Dimmer	GUV2 "Kino Decke GUV"	{ channel="dmx:dimmer:mybridge:KNO_GUV_5:brightness" }
Dimmer	GUV3 "Kino Frei GUV"	{ channel="dmx:dimmer:mybridge:KNO_GUV_6:brightness" }

Dimmer	LEDR "Kino LED Rot"	{ channel="dmx:dimmer:mybridge:KNO_LED_R:brightness" }
Dimmer	LEDG "Kino LED GrĆ¼n"	{ channel="dmx:dimmer:mybridge:KNO_LED_G:brightness" }
Dimmer	LEDB "Kino LED Blau"	{ channel="dmx:dimmer:mybridge:KNO_LED_B:brightness"}

Regards
Michael

1 Like

Hi Doxer, thanks a lot! Basically it looks like a config that I already tried, but I only have set the dmxid in the things, I did not use fadetime, dimtime and turnon/offvalue. Especially the last two feel like they are default (and I donā€™t care about the first two) - but maybe the turnonvalue defaults to 0, which would explain why I always see only 0 as output value?

I will add those this evening and report back!

BTW: Iā€™m using this version of the binding: http://janessa.me/esh/org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.dmx-0.10.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Itā€™s mentioned some post above.

Regards

That would be a nightmare if it actually depends on the binding version. I will change that first and see the results. I have found posts with a 0.9.0 version, but that is no longer available. I think the link and a comment should be added to the binding description to avoid confusion.

I mentioned this only for completness. I think the standard-binding should also work-

Try setting a fadetime in the Thing configuration. Also please post your Thing/Item configs because gessing does not really work here. :wink:
The binding definately works - I have used it, too.