OH2 on FreeNAS 11 in jail

Hi,

I am running OH 1.8 on FreeNAS in a jail for one year now. I works like a charm. Now I thought it is time to move on and upgrade to OH 2.1. I prepared a new jail. Setup up Openjdk.

openjdk version "1.8.0_131"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

Got my copy of OH 2.1 and started to play. I know I’ve to invest a lot of time to do a lot of housekeeping of my old configuration. I stripped down the old configs to a minimum and got to main errors at startup. On the one hand there is a non working mDNS Client and on the other hand is a non working MulticastReceiver. I think it’s something with openjdk 8 broken.

Please find below the log files…

------------ mDNS Client ----------------

2017-07-10 13:13:39.318 [ERROR] [.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mdns] - [org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mdns.client(105)] The activate method has thrown an exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No mDNS service has been started
at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mdns.internal.MDNSClientImpl.activate(MDNSClientImpl.java:85)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)[:1.8.0_131]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)[:1.8.0_131]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)[:1.8.0_131]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)[:1.8.0_131]
at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.BaseMethod.invokeMethod(BaseMethod.java:224)
at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.BaseMethod.access$500(BaseMethod.java:39)
at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.BaseMethod$Resolved.invoke(BaseMethod.java:617)
at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.BaseMethod.invoke(BaseMethod.java:501)
at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.ActivateMethod.invoke(ActivateMethod.java:302)
at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.ActivateMethod.invoke(ActivateMethod.java:294)
at o

------------------ MulticastReceiver --------------
2017-07-10 13:13:41.217 [ERROR] [org.jupnp.transport.Router ] - Unable to initialize network router: org.jupnp.transport.spi.InitializationException: Could not initialize MulticastReceiverImpl: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument
2017-07-10 13:13:41.217 [ERROR] [org.jupnp.transport.Router ] - Cause: org.jupnp.transport.spi.InitializationException: Could not initialize MulticastReceiverImpl: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument

Do you’ve got an idea how to solve this issues?

Best
Martin

is it possible to try oracle java in freebsd?

I think so, but only as backport. I found another solution. I’ve now a Ubuntu Server as virtual machine… thanks to FreeNas 11. :wink:

1 Like

hi, i would recommend to use “pure” debian in vms, because of stability and less requirements on the system. But great you got it running

this is what I tried… it seems that FreeNAS VM world is a little bit experimential. Debian crashed at the beging. Only Ubuntu works like a charm… I am happy now. Thanks.

@mburgholte Do you use any USB devices like a Z-Wave stick?
How did you pass that device to the VM in FreeNAS 11?

Hi! I’m sorry, but I don’t use any USB devices inside the VM. I use homegear on an external Raspi with SCC module.