OH2 Won't Start After Upgrade from RC to Release

Following the announcement earlier today, I updated my apt list from “testing” to “stable,” ran apt-get update, followed by apt-get upgrade to get the release version of OH2. But now OH2 will not start. My openhab.log is posted below:

2017-01-23 11:35:48.559 [WARN ] [raf.features.internal.osgi.Activator] - Error starting activator java.io.IOException: Unexpected end of input at 1:1 at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.error(JsonReader.java:337)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.expected(JsonReader.java:331)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.readValue(JsonReader.java:93)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.parse(JsonReader.java:58)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.util.JsonReader.read(JsonReader.java:52)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.DigraphHelper.readDigraph(DigraphHelper.java:112)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.DigraphHelper.loadDigraph(DigraphHelper.java:70)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.osgi.Activator.doStart(Activator.java:130)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at org.apache.karaf.util.tracker.BaseActivator.run(BaseActivator.java:246)[8:org.apache.karaf.features.core:4.0.8] at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)[:1.8.0_121] at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)[:1.8.0_121] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)[:1.8.0_121] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)[:1.8.0_121] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)[:1.8.0_121]

I should add that the RC install was created yesterday, so there shouldn’t be any legacy-like issues from running snapshots for a long time.

Unusual, I don’t think I’ve seen this error before. What OS are you running? Does it do something different when you try to restart the system?

It’s Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (with Java 8 through the PPA). Rebooting does not fix the issue.

Based on that stack trace I’m going to guess something became corrupted with your JSON DB. Someone smarter than me will have to take it from here.

I figured as much. I’m happy to extract whatever is needed to trace it down. I’d love to nuke it and start over, but figured that someone would want to see what happened to determine if this was caused by a bug, rather than my dumb luck.