OH2 Z-Wave refactoring and testing... and SECURITY

Thanks, I have never used Habmin but will do so from now on.

1 Like

Am I using the newest zwave binding if I installed the snapshot version of openhab and installed the zwave binding in the PaperUI? Or do I need to install the jar from the first post?

Yes - you need to install the JAR from this post.

Thank you very much, I will do so.

Which version of the JAR is installed via UI in openHAB v2.3.0 Snapshot? bundle:list | grep ZWave shows 2.3.0 Snapshot 20180409, so I thought itā€™s the same as linked in the top post.

Thank you for the awesome plugin btw! :smiley:

It will be the last version built from master branch - whatever that happens to be. Itā€™s built every few days, so I canā€™t say the actual version.

So the one linked in the first post is from the development branch, right? Thatā€™s the difference?

Yes - thatā€™s correct.

Iā€™m having a really hard time configuring association groups with the new binding, is there a special version of HABmin I need to be running? When I try to configure the z-wave controller as a lifeline it just turns into a blank box after saving and reloading the page:

For some of my devices it seems to have saved a valid mapping but I am unable to remove those blank boxes, they reappear when reloading the page:

Iā€™ve removed and added all the openhab things when switching to the dev binding (minus the controller itself, Iā€™ll try that next)
The z-wave network was built by an early version of the original openhab2 binding and the controller is a z-wave.me UZB, I hope I donā€™t have to reset all my devices to fix this because especially the qubino modules are a nightmare to factory reset.

Are the associations being set but just not displaying in Habmin properly? From my experience, this is only a UI issue. Last I looked, PaperUI displays them properly.

Oh, I was unaware that PaperUI had all the detailed zwave configuration implemented now!

Yeah, it looks different there but the Qubino module Iā€™m having issues with doesnā€™t seem to listen to any changes I make. It goes back to not showing any lifeline associations.

A lot of my working sensors show ā€œnode_1ā€ instead of ā€œopenhab controllerā€ and if I try to edit it Iā€™m not allowed to save changes. Weird. On the one where I was able to change it, it reverted back to ā€œnode_1ā€ when opening the editor again.

I was hoping to have a direct association between a light switch and a dimmer module so the wall switch still works even if openHAB is offline, even with older bindings I had trouble with the association suddenly not working so maybe the qubinos are just a bit buggy. I guess Iā€™ll handle it with an openHAB rule for now.

Hey Chris, I have an ā€œAlarm.comā€ thermostat which is exactly the same as the ā€œBuilding 36ā€ thermostat, just a different ID and slightly different values. I built out an XML for it, which is darn near each feature for it, what is the best way to get it into the database? Just add a new item after getting edit access from you? I had to create some manual mappings for the fan modes/state, not sure how to put that in either. Also love seeing the alarm_raw option for my yale deadbolt now! Should be able to do some rules to have it process commands now.

Iā€™m having trouble installing the April 8th .jar file linked at the top of this post. Following is the karaf console output, first installing with the jar file in the addons directory, then after deleting it (which I presume then gets the jar file as published on the web).
I understand I need the April 8th .jar file from the top of this post, in order to register my Yale YRD120 locks properly. The web-published version does not work properly.
Note that I get pretty much the same result via PaperUI, the output below is then in the openhab.log file.
Secondly, Iā€™ve tried feature:install openhab-transport-serial, made no difference.
Iā€™d appreciate a pointer here on how to proceed ā€“ openHAB is new to me. Thanks!
Nicholas

openhab> feature:install -v openhab-binding-zwave
Adding features: openhab-binding-zwave/[2.3.0.SNAPSHOT,2.3.0.SNAPSHOT]
Changes to perform:
  Region: root
    Bundles to install:
      mvn:org.openhab.binding/org.openhab.binding.zwave/2.3.0-SNAPSHOT
Installing bundles:
Starting bundles:
  org.openhab.binding.zwave/2.3.0.201804141026
Error executing command: Error restarting bundles:
        Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.zwave [211]
  Another singleton bundle selected: osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="2.3.0.201804090748"; osgi.identity="org.openhab.binding.zwave"; singleton:="true"

openhab>
openhab> feature:install -v openhab-binding-zwave
Adding features: openhab-binding-zwave/[2.3.0.SNAPSHOT,2.3.0.SNAPSHOT]
Changes to perform:
  Region: root
    Bundles to install:
Installing bundles:
Starting bundles:
  org.openhab.binding.zwave/2.3.0.201804141026
Done.
openhab>

It looks like OH may be caching the other version of the binding. Remove any zwave jars from addons and also uninstall it through Habmin of PaperUI, then restart OH and check to make sure there is no zwave binding running by executing this in the Karaf consoleā€¦ list |grep -i zwave. If it returns nothing, then copy the dev binding jar into addons, but if you see a zwave binding, youā€™ll need to uninstall it, reboot, and check again. Sometimes the caching can be pretty aggressive. Donā€™t worry about the serial transportā€¦ it is a dependency that will get installed with the binding. Once the dev binding is installed, remember to delete all of your zwave Things and kick off zwave discovery. Hopefully this will help get you there!

It looks like you have two versions of the binding running. Make sure that the old version is really uninstalled - Karaf tends to cache bundles.

OKā€¦ Iā€™ve solved this, in a fashion and up to a point (see the end of this post). For anyone else, here is my step by step method and notes on adding a Yale YRD120 (Iā€™m sure itā€™s the same for other locks in this series) to openhab 2.3.0 running on Windows 10, using an Aeotec Zstick. It was a headache, took many hours to figure out:

To ensure you have the right zwave binding operational:

1. Perform a clean install of openhab 2.3.0 by extracting the .zip file to c:\openhab
  2. Do NOT start openhab
  3. Copy the .jar file linked to at the top of this post-thread to c:\openhab\addons
  4. Now start openhab
  5. Go to the initial webpage and choose the recommended setup (2nd from the left)
  6. Open the paperUI webpage
  7. Do NOT install the zwave binding in the Addons section of paperUI
  8. Despite not having installed the addon, the version of the addon that you copied in the .jar file IS active in paperUI, youā€™ll see it in the Configurations --> Bindings!

Iā€™m sure the above could be achieved in a different way, particularly for an existing system. It is unclear from the interface what version of the zwave binding you are running. It is confusing, but the PaperUI --> Addons --> Bindings should show Zwave being Uninstalled and despite that the Zwave binding will be available - i.e. installed nonetheless.

Once you have created the Zwave Serial Controller Thing, youā€™ll notice that when you click the ā€œShow Moreā€ button white check mark in the round ā€˜saveā€™ button becomes grey. And you cannot save any changes you make in the 'Show More" section. If you do make a change, and the press the ā€œShow Lessā€ button, and then saveā€¦ youā€™ll get a 400 error flash by briefly on the right bottom of your window ā€“ obviously it doesnā€™t work and youā€™ll have to make do with the settings as provided. In particular this means you cannot put the Zstick into exclusion mode while connected to the USB port.

To add an already installed lock, you can remove the batteries, take off the electronics back of the lock (3 small screws), carefully remove the wiring-harness plug, re-insert the batteries, and take it to the computer with the Zstick. Because apparently you have to have them within a foot or so of each other.
When you depress the zwave button on the lock wait for two beeps, wait a second and then let go.
However, if you hear 5 beeps, the lock thinks it is already paired. You will need to unpair it first (somehow).
When the lock successfully pairs (or unpairs), it makes its ā€˜happyā€™ sound ā€“ a couple of notes going progressively higher. If it was unsuccessful, it sounds a couple of notes in one tone.

Some notes on the Aeotec stick and openhab: Iā€™m sure it is totally obvious to people in the know, but from the manual of openhab and in particular of the Zstick itself, the following was totally unclear to me:

• you do NOT want to follow the Aeotec Zstick instructions to pair any device, particularly not a lock.
  • doing a 'Search for Things" in the paperUI and then choosing Zwave, puts the Zstick into inclusion mode while it is connected to the computer.
  • if you have to pull the Zstick from the USB port, stop openhab first. And conversely, insert the Zstick before starting openhab.

Now that this is done, the lock worksā€¦ but I cannot add addons via PaperUI. They all ā€˜spinā€™ forever, and the logs show lots of things going wrong starting with
2018-04-16 00:44:52.105 [ERROR] [org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.sse ] - FrameworkEvent ERROR - org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.sse

I hope this helps someone else. And hopefully soon it wonā€™t be necessary at all once Chris has the .jar fileā€™s security feature for locks merged into the snapshot builds!

Just to add: you donā€™t need to stop/start openhab before pulling out the zstick. Just remember to restart the zwave binding after you put it back in. You do this by going into the console, typing

bundle:list | grep -i zwave

which will show you the process number. Then

bundle:restart 123

(or whatever the process number is)

Dan

You can also use the name of the bundle instead of the IDā€¦

bundle:restart org.openhab.binding.zwave

Installed bundle names can be displayed withā€¦

bundle:list -s

1 Like

Didnā€™t know that - thanks!

@chris
I yesterday switched to this zwave release (april 17th) from 2.3.0 snapshots in the hope that what we once discussed - that my Fibaro Wall Plugs 101/102 would start reporting again if power changes by a certain % threshold. this worked fine until switching to 2.x branch. You ment that this zwave dev branch should support itā€¦but it does not. Any idea what I could have done wrong? (the rest works as beforeā€¦)

the right zwave is in place:

Association groups set to Controller:

Any further support/hints is highly appreciated.
Regards
Norbert

btw. is that normalā€¦looks as if something is not set in background, as if it does not find the descriptionā€¦