OH2 Z-Wave refactoring and testing... and SECURITY

I have an Aeotec DSB45 Water Sensor that I just included to my network. I noticed an odd behavior with it that I’m not sure is the fault of the test binding or not.

The device has a wake button on it. When I press it, the LED on the device goes on for 10 minutes. The manual claims that this wakes the device. When I look in my logs, I see log entries flying by saying that the node is not awake, which is not expected.

The reason why I am not sure this is a problem with the binding is because the database data on this device includes this warning:

To wake up the sensor, don't push the wake up button, as it does nothing. Instead, tap the zwave button once. Use the wake up button to put back to sleep immediately.

I find this confusing and not sure if I should trust it, because the LED definitely goes on and seems to be indicating that the device is awake.

When I press the zwave button while in this supposed LED on awake state, I notice many messages start flying by in the log which make it seem like the device has been woken up. I see a queue of 4 messages that gradually dwindles to none. The manual does not define what’s supposed to happen when the zwave button is pressed while in supposed LED on awake mode, but the log messages looked correct to me. Still, the pending device configuration changes that I had queued up before this action remained pending despite the device appearing to wake.

This supposed engineering document about the device (that I found in this addons repo, issue #3001) claims that the Z-Wave button will do a few things including “Wake Up Notification command will be sent”, while the Wake Up Button does not say a command will be sent, but instead “Wake up device for 8 seconds.”

So, in conclusion, who knows what the heck is going on.

In case this is of interest to Chris, I’ll send him an email with my debug log.

For me network view is now also working, after I upgraded to the test version of last weekend.

Thanks for looking at this. If you can generate an issue on Github that would probably be best.

Cheers
Chris

I don’t know when you did this - there’s nothing obvious in the log. No wakeup, no NIF, so that would explain why the binding doesn’t think it’s awake.

There are some wakeups in the log for the device where it wakes up for the normal 1 to 2 seconds, but I dont really see anything especially strange.

Sure smells like the wakeup button is as useless as the database info claims it is. Strange for a manufacturer like Aeon Labs that specializes in Z-Wave devices.

I’ve updated the binding to account for the bug report from @whwkins (thanks) here. Hopefully this will be more stable.

1 Like

I updated to this new version. Doesn’t seem to make any difference here, I still see stuff (that I don’t understand) in the log coming in from my sensor but the Item values doesn’t change. You got use for a new debug log?

Sure - email it over and I’ll take a look. Thanks.

Done.

Can you provide me an example of what you expect and what isn’t working? What device is the “sensor” and what are you expecting to change?

Have you reinitialised the devices (eg deleted the XML files) so that it reinitialises?

I don’t see a lot wrong other than the binding isn’t requesting very much from your devices which might indicate that the XML files aren’t fully correct - possibly due to problems with the older binding. Otherwise there’s no errors.

I do see one strange thing in that it processed a message out of order which resulted in a timeout, but I think that was a one off issue (and hopefully I’ve fixed that now).

Nope. Didn’t know that would be a good thing to do. Is it just a matter of stopping the bundle, removing the files in /var/lib/openhab2/zwave and starting the bundle again?

Any further clues as to what it is? The log shows the binding requesting the data, and the sensor acking the request, but not responding with the data.

Yes - I’m not sure it will help, but it can’t hurt and given you had problems previously it’s more than possible the XML might be messed up…

It’s an Aeon Multisensor (DSB05). But since it’s set to send it’s values every fifth minute that’s something that ought to happen without the binding requesting anything, isn’t it? Isn’t that something that the device itself should initiate?

I tried removing the xml file for just that node. Doesn’t seem like it helpded, but I’ll wait for a while and see what happend…

Yes, and no. Yes, the device will send unsolicited if you’ve configured this, but during initialisation, the binding will poll the device to read it’s current state.

So I’ve checked the new binding and the following two problems seem to be solved for me:

1. The wall plugs FGWP101 are not staying in “UPDATE_DATABASE” anymore.
  2. The wall plugs FGWP102 with firmare 3.2 are now showing the correct configuration.

Many thanks @chris!

Now I have to check if this problem is alsow fixed:

Regards,

André

I still don’t get any values. Starting to think maybe I should revert to 2.0.0 again just to see if it still works there…

I have the AEON Multi Sensor DSB05 also. I find that it’s touchy. I have two of them, one in my garage and one outside. Initially I had the one in the garage reporting it’s values and the one outside wouldn’t do anything. Then I got my outside one working and then I had to replace the batteries in the one in the garage and now it’s not reporting sensor values. I’m not sure what the issue is, but I know they can work with the test binding. I’ll let you know if I discover anything.

Ok, thank you. I’ve had problems with it too in the past, but now it has been working perfectly for some months, seems weird that it suddenly should stop exactly when I upgrade the binding. I could try restarting it though, might make difference. I’m not using batteries in mine, I feed it via the micro-usb port (which I’m starting to think is a bad idea because it’s always behaving strangely after power outages).

Yep. I’ve got it sending values again, after fiddling around with the little button on it. Seems it works all right now. So obviously this was not a problem with the binding. Apologies to @chris for pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

Sorry to bump this @chris, I’m not sure if this is actually a binding problem or something else (UI?), but taking the chance posting to this thread. I’m unable to choose other nodes than the controller to put in a association group. and I can’t remember seeing this before switching to this branch… Any ideas? Am I missing something?