OH2 ZME WALLC-S pairing drives me crazy


I’m pretty new to the openHab community but already struggling around with those WALLC-S switches, so I hope you guys can help me :wink: .
I was able to set up the OH2 environment including the Z-Wave binding on a raspberry 2 (openhabian image). I’m using a ZME_UZB1 stick for the interface. I also was able to include a Fibaro double switch and, at least partly, a Fibaro Dimmer 2. So first steps are made.

My Problem is, that I’m just not able to get those WALLC-S switches to work. They show up in the inbox as “unknown device” and they remain unknown after the inclusion. In the log files I can see that the binding is checking every device in the database for a match but for some reason the binding doesn’t realise that the unknown device is the listed wallc-s…

21:00:16.729 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_wallcs_00_000 
21:00:16.730 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_wcd2_00_000
21:00:16.731 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zme05431_00_000  
21:00:16.732 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zme05433_00_000 
21:00:16.733 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zme05433_00_000
21:00:16.734 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zme05459_00_000
21:00:16.735 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zme06437_00_000
21:00:16.736 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zme06443_00_000
21:00:16.736 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zme06443_00_000
21:00:16.737 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zmeft_00_000
21:00:16.738 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zmerc2_00_000
21:00:16.739 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zwaveme_zweather_00_000
21:00:16.740 [DEBUG] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Checking zwave:zyxel_st812_00_000  
21:00:16.754 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 8: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! 7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF:7FFFFFFF::0.0 
21:00:16.758 [INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing 'zwave:device:cb930e03:node8' to inbox.

So I hope somebody has an idea how I can fix that? The acceptance that the lights are only switchable by a smartphone is shrinking every day if you know what I mean :slight_smile:


This is a battery device if I remember correctly, so you will need to wake the device up while it’s close to the controller. This may take a few attempts - the binding needs to download a load of information from the device. This must be done with the device in direct communication with the controller (so lets so no more than 5 or 10 meters from the controller - depending on what your house is made of).

Hopefully the 7FFFFFF business you see in the log will change to some other numbers - then it can be resolved.

Hey, thank you for your quick reply! I tried that a lot of times, putting that device into management mode, pressing the button nr. 2 to wake it up and send an information frame. But nothing happens…
Am I supposed to see that frame or something in the log?

Yes - you should see a NIF in the log (node info frame). If you don’t, then maybe it’s not really included properly in which case I’d suggest to exclude it, and add it again.

Well ok that seemed to be the problem!! Thank you a lot! Now it’s getting recognised correctly!

So it looks like those switches are listed in the inbox even though they aren’t in inclusion mode, ending up in a broken thing. What helped me in the end was to delete it and put it in inclusion mode (pressing button 1 in management mode) while scanning for things in OH2. After that it was recognised as “unknown device” again, it switched to “wallc-s” after sending that information frame (pressing button 2 in management mode) !

I attached the log because there were some errors listed, maybe that is of interest for you @chris ?

Hmmm - this isn’t the way it works…

What happens is you put the binding/controller into inclusion mode - the controller does its magic and includes the device into the network, and then the controller tells the binding that the device is included. Then, the binding will add it to the inbox as it thinks the device is included - and it should be.

However, sometimes bad things happen and the device can be gone. Maybe the device thinks it’s node 6 and the controller thinks its node 5 - I’ve seen this happen. In this case, we put node 5 into the inbox, and the system is all confused. Ultimately, the problem is something ‘bad’ happened during inclusion, but the binding should reflect the controller state.

Thanks - I’ll have a look at the log…