Nrjavaserial upgrade causes "Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist"

Hello,

I am using a Aeon Gen 5 Z-Stick successfully with OH1. I am working to migrate to OH2 (online build, installed via apt-get), and continuously receive this error in the logs:

2016-12-25 17:39:36.548 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:159387b2735' changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline
2016-12-25 17:39:36.645 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:159387b2735' changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist

My /etc/default/openhab2 file looks like this:
EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS=-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyACM0

I have also tried injecting export -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyACM0 into various places in the karaf and many other startup files, with no luck.

OH2 is running as openhab, and is a member of the dialout group, which has rw privileges on /dev/ttyACM0.

Any ideas on how to make this port available to OH2?

Additional details, I can confirm Java is getting the ttyACM0 port passed through (output from ps -fp):

openhab 365 32658 99 17:46 ? 00:07:14 /usr/bin/java -Dopenhab.home=/usr/share/openhab2 -Dopenhab.conf=/etc/openhab2 -Dopenhab.runtime=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -Dopenhab.userdata=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dopenhab.logdir=/var/log/openhab2 -Dfelix.cm.dir=/var/lib/openhab2/config -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port=8080 -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port.secure=8443 -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:+UseG1GC -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyACM0 -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/jre/lib/endorsed:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/endorsed:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/endorsed -Djava.ext.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/jre/lib/ext:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/ext:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/ext -Dkaraf.instances=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/instances -Dkaraf.home=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -Dkaraf.base=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dkaraf.data=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dkaraf.etc=/var/lib/openhab2/etc -Dkaraf.restart.jvm.supported=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/lib/openhab2/tmp -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/openhab2/etc/java.util.logging.properties -Dkaraf.startLocalConsole=false -Dkaraf.startRemoteShell=true -classpath /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.boot-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.main-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.osgi.core-6.0.0.jar org.apache.karaf.main.Main

That’s odd. Normally, the only place you need to put the serial port is in the config of the Z-Wave Serial Controller thing.

This could be completely unrelated, but in case it’s not, this commit updated nrjavaserial from 3.9.3 to 3.12.1 three days ago.

I am using the snapshot version of OH2 via apt-get. If I installed today l, I should have this latest build right? How can I check?

You can find the build number by logging into the karaf console.
http://docs.openhab.org/administration/console.html

According to Cloudbees, the latest build is 674.
https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/

I was having a similar issue with an existing install. Did two things in parallel and one of them fixed it:

Installed this library: RFXCom issue on RP3

And did an apt-get update/upgrade and am now back online.

Hope one or both help your install (I’d start with an upgrade).

I’m on the latest snapshot via apt-get. There is not a liblockdev1 package of my Ubuntu build (16.04)
 I’ll spend more time troubleshooting tomorrow.

Same issue here :

events.log:2016-12-25 18:39:46.226 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:159363163fa' changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE                                   _OFFLINE): Controller is offline to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist

Setup: apt-get , online, RPi2, tellstick.

Had working tellstick setup with OH1, moved to OH2 ( no apt-get ) and got that working.
Moved to apt-get to get hold of code progress and to get Habmin to work from zwave support.

Funny thing is, Habmin2 have been able to extract the one node I had discovered before plugging it in and set it up as an item.

<<>Rant>
Now neither tellstick not zwave works. Reading forums to find out small stuff like default sitemap isn’t default, that /etc/group file needs to be edited.
I update files, but paper UI does not 

Almost all is found out by forums and google, very little by the documentation.
OH is making me older fast.
<<>/Rant>

had same issue z-wave (Razberry) ACM0 not working with latest builds. i was using openhabian to update my system. As nolan_garrett was saying something wrong with OS.

After those two steps, i am back in business.

• Update system sudo apt-get update
  • Install: liblockdev1-dev package sudo apt-get install liblockdev1-dev

All works again.

2 Likes

Thanks,
tried that , with mixed success.
Openhab didin’t start on reboot.
Or rather ,died. And I’m assuming it was unexpectedly.
Nothing in the openhab.log:

2016-12-26 08:02:54.626 [INFO ] [ui.habmin.internal.servlet.HABminApp] - Started HABmin servlet at /habmin
2016-12-26 08:02:55.046 [INFO ] [panel.internal.HABPanelDashboardTile] - Started HABPanel at /habpanel
2016-12-26 08:02:55.669 [INFO ] [ding.astro.internal.job.JobScheduler] - Scheduled a daily job at midnight for astro calculation
2016-12-26 08:03:01.974 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'

Nor in the event.log:

2016-12-26 08:03:01.971 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:159363163fa' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
2016-12-26 08:03:01.977 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:159363163fa' changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline
2016-12-26 08:03:02.062 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:159363163fa:node2' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to INITIALIZING
2016-12-26 08:03:02.068 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:device:159363163fa:node2' changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline

The /var/run/openhab2.pid file was still there though.

Even worse, when I removed liblockdev1 and liblockdev1-dev, I only hade PAPER UI and BASIC UI in the web interface. But it started again.

Edit: When I look in the PAPER IU , the zWave binding is gone.

You did not write anything about the most important step:

adding user openhab to dialout group.

That is the only thing I had to do with the latest build of Raspbian and the latest build of openHAB2:

2016-12-25 10:48:16.317 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Connecting to serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'
2016-12-25 10:48:16.620 [INFO ] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Serial port is initialized
2016-12-25 10:48:16.694 [INFO ] [mmandclass.ZWaveSecurityCommandClass] - Update networkKey
2016-12-25 10:48:16.780 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Starting ZWave controller
1 Like

Sorry for being unclear, openhab was added to dialout (and tty) early in the fault analysis.

grep openhab /etc/group
tty:x:5:openhab
dialout:x:20:pi,openhab
openhab:x:110:

I’ve also tried ( and succeeded) by doing
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyACM0
But that doesn’t cut it as a long term solution as the device will be removed if I unplug the stick.

Edit: Allow me to correct myself:
under Addons I can see the zwave is installed, but under configuration->bindings , zwave is gone.

This is interesting.
I had my Z-Wave stick at /dev/ttyACM0’ already working with the apt-get installation of OH2 (the snapshot version maybe 1-2 month old). Yesterday I made and apt-get upgrade and now Z-Wave stops at this line: Connecting to serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'. The controller is offline with reason “Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist”.
I didn’t had this option (EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS=-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyACM0) before but even setting it doesn’t make a difference.

Finding this thread, I installed liblockdev1 and finally it works! So my guess would be that the latest nrjavaserial needs the liblockdev1 as a dependency (at least on raspberry pi 2)?

From the other thread:

I can see this liblockdev1 mentioned several times in github tickets of the nrjavaserial repository, however it is not mentioned there in the readme as a prerequisite.

Anyway to automate this installation in OH2
?

2 Likes

I don’t know if it is of any help for you, but my output is:

grep openhab /etc/group
dialout:x:20:pi,openhab
openhab:x:1001:

I think the groups settings are the same.

I’ve seen both liblockdev1 and liblockdev1-dev being mentioned. Which is correct?
( I think liblockdev1 pulls liblockdev1-dev with it.)

Tried again,
did /etc/init.d/openhab stop (interesting that there was no trace of that in the logs.)
installed liblockdev1,
rebooted

System started, with opehab, I could get the initial screen up on :8080/start/index
but after the start initialized zwave , openhab died without a trace.

these still remain:

pi@homeauto /run/lock $ ll
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 15 root    root    640 Dec 26 11:15 ..
-rw-rw-rw-  3 openhab openhab  11 Dec 26 11:16 LCK..ttyACM0
-rw-rw-rw-  3 openhab openhab  11 Dec 26 11:16 LCK.C.166.000
-rw-rw-rw-  3 openhab openhab  11 Dec 26 11:16 LCK...2648
drwxrwxrwt  2 root    root    100 Dec 26 11:16 .

Still confused but at least it is repeatable.

On the pine64 it also stopped working with the latest update (apt-get upgrade openhab2-online)

Usual stuff was already in:
My /etc/default/openhab2 file looks like this:
EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyACM0"

openhab in the dailout group (also did a chmod a+rw /dev/ttyACM0)

Unfortunately suggested solution liblockdev1 / liblockdev1-dev is also not solving the issue :slight_smile:(

Note: liblockdev1 is even no longer in the repository
 to install it I used :

Any other suggestion to get this working? Is it possible to revert back to the earlier version for the time being?

I have been fighting with this for days. Reading every post about Pine64 and Aeon zwave gen 5 around.
Even done a fresh install of Debian and openhab2 offline. setup everything following this guide. http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#package-repository-installation
i also just did the liblockdev1 / liblockdev1-dev install with no luck.
Hope someone has an idea.

This is what I get:

2016-12-26 18:03:02.490 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:7d934604’ changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)
2016-12-26 18:03:03.541 [ThingRemovedEvent ] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:7d934604’ has been removed.
2016-12-26 18:04:02.239 [ThingAddedEvent ] - Thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:7d934604’ has been added.
2016-12-26 18:04:21.898 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:7d934604’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
2016-12-26 18:04:21.909 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:7d934604’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline
2016-12-26 18:04:21.985 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:7d934604’ changed from OFFLINE (BRIDGE_OFFLINE): Controller is offline to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyACM0 does not exist

The title claims this thread is about OH2b5 - but the change https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/101 isn’t in beta5. Is the discussion title wrong?