OH3 Exec Binding: Thing Configuration and Default Transform

Am I correct that the Exec Binding requires a .things file entry for each command? I set up an .items file as well but it appears I can create the Items via the Main UI.

In the .things file, I did not include a “transform=” option but the Main UI shows “Transform REGEX((.*))” which appears to be the default. I installed openhabian 1.7.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3B and it appears that the regex transformation was not included, so I am also seeing:

[WARN ] [ng.exec.internal.handler.ExecHandler] - Couldn't transform response because transformationService of type 'REGEX' is unavailable

Is there a way to disable transform via the .things file? I could experiment but I just got the Exec Binding working.

hey @nh905 ,

do you install “RegEx Transformation” under “Settings → Transformation Add-ons”? The message seems to be, that the RegEx Transformation is not installed?!

Regards,
Tim

It depends. You have an input Channel that can be linked to an Item. When that Item changes it triggers the script. You can pass the state of that Item to the command using %s (e.g. echo %s). Beyond that though, yes, you must have a separate Thing for each command.

You can create Thing through MainUI too.

No, it appears the Exec binding requires the REGEX transformation if you do not supply your own.

Create a copy of the Thing and experiment with that.

Thanks for the prod - I figured out how to manually add Exec Things via the Main UI. It initially looked like that I could remove the regex transform from the Thing during Thing creation but the regex keeps reappearing.

I avoid adding stuff to OpenHAB that I am not using, but gave in and added the Regex Transformation Service - no more warnings.