OH3 how view textual definition of an Item

:cry: Gosh. Wish I could help. This can be scripted.

Vbscript or whatever, you don’t have to do that manually.

I have always been on the user side of this… I’ll have a look. It’s a script gosh. You branch, apply script, review changes, pull, commit. done. :fearful: Client side. bot is your butler. After all, you just need to inject a div in HTML, with a css class you control once for all formatting everywhere across the site, it’s SO trivial!

Woah. I did not read it because, from the title, it sounded like the usual duplicate of the similar items when you create a new post. Change the title maybe? Like “What to do first if you have a problem”? The how to ask a good question can be queued to the content - frankly it sounds cosmetic (reading the title i thought it must be [specify os, OH version, JAva version] etc etc. -read in so many forums. Title not really fitting an Italian translation into "move your lazy axx to this next.yada.com doc homepage first and come back saying “I read x and does not cover my issue y”)

surprised. I thought Introduction | openHAB was for OH2 and Introduction | openHAB for OH3 :sob: :scream: :confounded:

I do. I really do. I would not have so much patience asyou proof to have. Wish you could enroll some helping hands, wish I could help more. feel free to ask.
Unfortunately I don’t know how OH team is structured (frontend docend corehand etc) and interact and cannot help much :slightly_frowning_face: Well, I’ll keep tuned in nd do what I can-help when I’m enrolled.

But here’s the thing. It has to be something that can be included as part of the build system for the docs. It’s actually quite complex to create the docs pages because so much of it comes from multiple repos, they have to be compiled, there are tests that are run and all that.

I guess what I’ve been trying to say is if it really were that easy, don’t you think we would have done it already? So the above was a snarky way to say “since you think it’s so easy clearly you must know more than we do so please show us how to do it.” Just about everyone here who contributes to OH is technically competent. When we see “it’s so easy, just do X” it means either there really is something technical we’ve missed in which case we need help, the poster is ignorant about the technical problems or how much effort it will take, or the poster is discounting our own expertise and assume we are just stubborn or don’t care.

next.openhab.org was always and ever intended as a staging area for us to work prior to OH 3 release without disrupting the 2.5 docs too much. The default version of the docs one sees when they go to the docs is always for the current release version of OH. OH 3 wasn’t released until today.

There really isn’t much of a structure. Most of the time the really technical stuff gets updated by the developers themselves (not always :frowning: ). For the rest, it’s a self selected group of a few people who choose something and start work on it. Open an issue to say you are working on something and if something isn’t already in work for that content, you basically can get to work. I wasn’t assigned the Getting Started Tutorial. I didn’t even write most of it. Yannick wrote most of it. I’ve taking over much of the work so Yannick can focus on the code. I saw a need, stepped up and started doing. That’s how it works.

Someone needs to see a need and jump in and contribute. You’ve already gone through the GitHub pain to get started (I’m sorry it was so hard) and you’ve already started contributing. And I for one appreciate it immensely. But I don’t want you to think someone will come along and assign you something to contribute. You’ll have to figure what, when, and how much you want to contribute. Some people only answer questions on the forum. Others just do translations of the UIs. Some code add-ons or script libraries. Far too few of us write on the docs.

My primary contributions are the forum, with the docs and my own set of scripts and rules libraries being secondary.

1 Like

well, ok, I did not mean that, of course. I don’t know about the interaction between the engine room geeks and the doc frontend - that’s what/why I mentioned it earlier. I just cannot understand why doc pages published in the OH3 next site cannot be modified injectng a div. Maybe there is something difficult, I assumed that the openhab-doc repo was the one used as a source for the doc, whose file you can branch and modify. manually or running a script. the GIT repo will only see a commit request, after you review them. md are md. Cannot understand how that is not possible, but it sounds obscure and I’ll shut up then.

Well well, I understand the project is quite complex and I would’t like to be a nuisance instead of helping.
Just saying I am an available resource to help for what I can. Not sure if there is any enrollment mechanism, I’m telling you and see if you/you guys turn my (potential) efforts/resources in something useful for the project. Let’s say it like that: I could be a marginal resourced available for use. Like a computer in the old time SETI@home project. In the meanwhile I obviously have a lot of fishes to fry on my own, I won’t get bored for sure.

yeah, it was hard, with no support. But since you are a constant presence in the forum- as I can read- you could for instance use me as a support resources for anyone starting from scratch with the same attempt to modify a GIT doc (in Win obviously) Resource available.

They are not written in HTML for one.

Not all. A lot comes from the other repos as well. In fact, most of the technical stuff (e.g. binding docs) comes from other repos.

Nope, just raise your hand and say I want to do X. Just like you did with giving the new user’s perspective of the docs as they are. If you see something you can do, enrollment is pretty much tell others you are doing it through an issue if it’s code or a big change and if there is no pushback or redirection start doing it. A lot of things like helping on the forum you don’t even need to do that. Just start answering questions where you are able. Writing tutorials is another way to just start contributing (which you’ve done).

In short, you are already enrolled! Now you get to pick and choose when, what, and how much.

One thing that would be really useful is to keep posting tutorials like that MySQL one. Lessons learned. Or just show off what you are doing. Letting people see what’s possible is also very useful.

We definitely appreciate you as a resource. But you’ll have to be a self directed resource. There is no boss around here. We all volunteer for everything we do.

But, if you do want some direction I can offer the following ideas:

• Look at the open issues on the docs repo and see if you can address any of those.
  • File issues where you think you have a good suggestion but can’t implement it yourself (note, not every issue gets addressed, filing an issue is no guarantee it will be implemented by someone else)
  • Read the forum and help out on threads where you think you can. You will get it wrong from time to time, even in the log run (I get stuff wrong all the time) but someone will be along and correct that most likely and you will learn.
3 Likes

Just for reference there is a new guide now at [Wiki] How to contribute to the openHAB Documentation that explains a lot of this.

Thanks, should have thought of looking for post by Confectrician - being the Guy of commits.