[OH3] Main UI - New „main_widget“ - development and testing [deprecated]

Of course :+1:

It’s fixed and the GitHub Repo is updated.

Just have to check why the widgets now do not appear anymore. Perhaps I changed to much in my test environment :wink:

@rubenfuser does the widgets (blinds and lights) still work for you? I can’t get the appear anymore.

This is my config - if it works for you, could you please have a look if something seems to be wrong?

Was my fault, please change line 270 and 293 to vars.room (on github code)

1 Like

Is it possible to get a post referencing or full code of the needed widgets?

This thread is super long yet I am following every post made as it’s very exciting, and very educational seeing this develop. The collaboration is inspiring. I hope all the work going in may one day translate to another built in UI option in OH.

1 Like

Hi @Andrew_Pawelski ,

For sure:

1. The main code is here:
    GitHub - Nic0205/OpenPage

2. For now we experiment with “older” community widgets:

Lights: [OH3] Main UI Examples - #222 by elektrolubach
(cell_light_card_2)

Blinds: [OH3] Main UI Examples - #22 by Integer
(cell_shutter_card_1)

Then you will have to set the correct model / non-semantic tags like it is explained here:
https://community.openhab.org/t/oh3-main-ui-examples/117928/512

In the End, we will have to have docs for sure - but for now this should help already. Feel free to ask if something goes wrong or if it works to start the docu and make a small pull Request in the GitHub Repo for the Readme.md

Cheers, Nic

@Nic0205 I think I found a solution for the multi item widgets like temp control.

What about not passing an item config to the widget but the equipment group item.
Within the widget, we than can use oh-repeater to retrieve all needed items. We might need some more custom tags, especially to differentiate between setTemp and ambientTemp.

I will give this approach a play over the weekend, reusing the already posted temp_control widget…

That sounds really comfortable. I think using custom tags is a really good option.

Please let me know if - and how I can support you.

1 Like

Maybe there’s some non technical people out that could help with the doco - I could if I get to understand what’s required - I’ve got the main widget and the light card now thanks but can’t work out from the thread what’s needed for tags - I’ve got a room with a non semantic tag of Room and it doesn’t show and a light with a non semantic tag of Light and that doesn’t show anywhere- I don’t want to turn this thread into a support thread for silly problems but maybe a base of instructions might increase peoples input for testing or contributing if there was some time to do it - perhaps it might be time to move to a new thread where things could be pinned to the top etc?

We really should think of splitting the topic to have it‘s own for thi development.
@rlkoshak could you do this please ?

Of course👍

Guys,
I will start a new topic called „main_widget development and testing“ soon.
First post will be a wiki with all prerequisites, hopefully some documentation and always latest code and sub widgets
This can then be edited by anybody.
Second post could be a summary of @Dimitris designs.

WDYT ?

1 Like

Making good progress, nearly finished modifying the light card…
Stay tuned😉

It’s become quite a long set of posts and I’ve not followed along super closely. Can I just go up to the first post on this discussion or has there been some interleaving of topics? It looks like post 229 is the first. What should I call it?

Yes I think post 229 should be correct. Some post between 229 and 546 may belong to different topics but I think to cut at 229 would be the easisets thing.

In hmerks new Topic all relevant informations for out project will be then at post 1 (code) and 2 (wiki)

Very cool - this evening is family evening so I’ll have a look tomorrow if you have posted new stuff :wink:

A post was merged into an existing topic: [OH3] Main UI Examples

Thanks Rich, but managed to do it myself

Hi @Nic0205 @Dimitris @JustinG @rubenfuser and anyone interested

I have edted the first post with some prerequisits, added my latest development version of the main_widget and as a first step the new main_widget_Light_Card. This is designed to work wth simple lights aw well for color lights. Switch/Brightness should work out of the box, but not shure for the color settings.
The also added main_widget_Rollershutter_Card should also work out of the box. Just needs to add a label…

Question now:
@Dimitris Would you please take care of the design chapter in the first post and add your pictures there
Second question to all involved so far, whou would like to write a nice introduction ?

Todo : As the widget show basically an empty screen at start, how could we fill it ?

Hi, i’ve tried new version and menu now looks better also on mobile.
the issue now comes from light card as you can see.

i’ve made also another version of rollershutter card, more complete that reflect almost the idea of @Dimitris. it’s an exapandable card, but i don’t know if it’s too early to use it on the main widget due to issues that can come. if you want i can PM the code to one of you to take a look and adjust it to fit the main widget. but i don’t want to put “more on fire”.

for home screen, i think could be a good idea to make a new widget that summarize the status of the home: average temperature, security status and light/rollershutter status.

i’ve made something like this:

just to tell the user if there are lights/rollershutter on/open. eventually could be added the status of the home security. also this is based on @Dimitris idea.

all my yaml need to be corrected for sure, i’m not skilled as you, but we have a starting point. i’m trying to learn from you all as fast as i can, so please forgive me if i do mistakes :sweat_smile: