OH3, MQTT, Arduino Help

I am working on a school project that uses openHAB to switch three lights on/off remotely. I have openHAB downloaded on my computer and have developed a very basic UI that will get the job done.
I have downloaded the mqtt binding add-on and have also downloaded the mosquito broker and running it on my computer. I have managed to get the broker online,

but I am confused as to how to link the light switches from my UI to the mqtt server. From research I think I have to make a .things and .items file. Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to openHAB!

Does this help? It’s for a relay, but that’s still a switch…

Check steps 4 and 5.

In short:

• Create a Thing to represent your device
  • In that Thing create a Channel of type Switch, and configure it with the name of the Bridge Thing to your MQTT broker, the MQTT topics and on/off values as required.
  • Create a Switch Item, and link it to your Thing Channel

That article is useful thank you! It seems like openHAB 3 has a lot more you can do through the UI instead of having to write code like I see in older post on here. To give a little more description of my project I will be connecting to a Arduino UNO which will have an ethernet shield, the Arduino will then send signals to relays to turn the lights on/off.

Welcome to the fun

Can you control you Arduino using a mqtt client eg http://mqtt-explorer.com/

Create a generic mqtt thing but make sure you can control your device through mqtt first.

If you share how you control the mqtt we can help you further

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.