OH3: MQTT binding not reacting to incoming payloads

Any update on this issue? I have a similar behavior with my openhab 3.4.4 (MQTT thing stops working) and I found out that it happens if the MQTT broker sends invalid messages, e.g., a “null” message, for whatever reason. Since other MQTT clients, such as MQTT-Explorer or mosquitto_sub continue to work, I assume it is aproblem of the openhab mqtt plugin and I opened a bug report, see [mqtt] MQTT thing stops working after receiving "null" message · Issue #15282 · openhab/openhab-addons · GitHub

1 Like

no. had it a few times. I let openHAB send me a message, if there’s no update for defined intervals on the items and then I restarted accordingly.
I don’t think it was because the broker sent NULL, but I could try to find this one out the next time it happens.

personally I’m waiting for me to finish migrating to OH4, perhaps it’s solved there.

The result of the bug report was, that there is a bug in the transformation which made the thing hang when a null was received. To my understanding, this has been fixed in OH4. On github, I mentioned a workaround (using JS instead of JSONPATH) for those who are currently not (yet) migrating to OH4. This workaround at least works for me.

1 Like

had it again yesterday evening. and yes, there was a NULL payload on one JSONPATH-topic.

The workaround using JS instead of JSONPATH works for me now several days (before it stopped every night because of a null triggered by another component). However, I had to replace all JSONPATH transformations that may receive a null to JS, even if the channel was not used by an item. Otherwise, my openhab log was filled with “QoS 0 publish message dropped.” messages.

i have like a bazillion of channels/items working with MQTT and JSONPATH… so I’ll wait until after my holidays and I’ll upgrade to OH4. but thanks for the hint!