OH3 Z-wave ZEN24 Dimmer not updating channel state

OH3.0 running on a RPi 4

I have several z-wave light switches/dimmers and the system is controlling them fine.

However if someone manually changes a dimmer or switches off a light using the device, that change is never reflected back to the GUI. Communication seems to be only one-way.

I thought the Profile parameter might have some effect on this but none of the available choices seemed to make any difference.

Usually I have been setting them up as points in the Model, either dimmers or switches

Must be something obvious I’m missing?

Thanks for any advice.

Brian

It’s up to each zwave device who it reports to, if anybody. Some device configuration option should point to your zwave controller. I know the word “lifeline” but leave it to zwave knowledgable folk to fill in here.

Meantime, remove any Item link profiles, definitely not wanted here.

That is correct. Have a look at your Z Wave Device Thing not reporting the Status and check the Assocation Group 1, Lifeline. You should set ‘Controller’ for this group.

Here is an example of a dimmer in my network, which works fine from openhab and manual.

thanks for the advice.

I checked a couple devices and they are configured as you suggested.

Looking and the z-wave logging, I can see the devices reporting changes back to OH but the system doesn’t use them to update the GUI

Digging further I can see some devices reporting back to the GUI others don’t.

Must be related to the way I created the Items

The binding never updates the GUI. The binding updates Items, the GUI displays Items. Divide and conquer.
You might look in your events.log to see if your Items are being updated as expected. Then you will know whether to look for some display issue, or something on the channel/Thing/binding side.

thanks, I’ll dig into it a bit more…

Comparing the log between the ZEN24 dimmer and a ZEN27 dimmer from the same manufacturer, I see some differences.

The issue is any manual operation at the dimmer is not captured in the z-wave binding.

This is the log from the dimmer that works properly, there is a line that updates channel state.

16:22:04.456 [DEBUG] [otocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 16: Received COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC V1 BASIC_REPORT
16:22:04.462 [DEBUG] [l.commandclass.ZWaveBasicCommandClass] - NODE 16: Basic report, value = 99
16:22:04.469 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 16: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
16:22:04.476 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 16: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint=0, command class=COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC, value=99
16:22:04.483 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 16: Updating channel state zwave:device:64793565f1:node16:switch_dimmer to 100 [PercentType]
16:22:04.492 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 16: Commands processed 1.
16:22:04.498 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 16: Checking command org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@14dc49c.
16:22:04.502 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0

The log from the ZEN24 is missing that channel update.

16:24:04.216 [DEBUG] [otocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 14: Received COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC V1 BASIC_REPORT
16:24:04.225 [DEBUG] [l.commandclass.ZWaveBasicCommandClass] - NODE 14: Basic report, value = 0
16:24:04.230 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 14: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
16:24:04.244 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 14: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint=0, command class=COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC, value=0
16:24:04.249 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 14: Commands processed 1.
16:24:04.251 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 14: Checking command org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@14a74bd.
16:24:04.254 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0

All three of my ZEN24 devices behave the same way.

The question is whether it’s mis-configuration on my part, or a bug in the binding?

Is there other info I should collect?

Good comparison.
If a channel is not linked to anything (an Item), I don’t think it gets an update.
You might look to see if you have any Items linked to something like zwave:... :node14:switch_dimmer

Yes, those channels are all linked to Items in the same way as the other dimmers that work properly.

When I first installed the ZEN24 devices a few months ago, they weren’t in the z-wave device DB.

I collected an XML, uploaded to to site, and @chris added it to the DB.

To be honest, once I got Items controlling the dimmers I never noticed the device wasn’t updating the channel state.

In searching the forum I see others reporting a similar problem,

@brianlay Thanks for referencing my post about this same issue. I’m still having the same problem with my Zooz switches and dimmers. I talked to Zooz support as well and they recommended I post on the openHAB community forum for help.

I hope we can get some help from the z-wave experts on this forum to get this resolved.

When reporting an issue like this, please report the thing type that has the problem. Thanks.

Understood Chris.

I wasn’t officially ‘reporting’ but rather gathering info and advice to see if I had configured things properly.

However my conclusion at this point is that the z-wave binding has an issue with the Zooz ZEN24 Toggle Dimmer V4.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can gather to assist with troubleshooting or testing.

Thanks

Thanks - that’s what I needed to know :slight_smile: There are 5 versions of this device…

I’ve updated the database to hopefully fix this and it will flow through the system in the next few days.

Thanks @chris !

Out of interest, is there something I should have added when I originally provided the XML for this device?

The issue was (hopefully) that the device is sending basic reports, and the database was not configured to use these reports as if they were dimmer reports. I have simply changed this setting.