OH3: ZonedDateTime and DayJS Problem

Dear community,
I try to show some dates in an oh3-widget by parsing a string with the dayjs-integration. But I can’t get it to work to show the right date-time.

My String Item stores following example string (length varies, structure always the same, splitting by ‘_’):
2021-05-12T20:00+02:00[Europe/Berlin]_2021-05-15T20:00+02:00[Europe/Berlin]

In the oh3-widget I created an oh-repeater component which iterates over an array, which I create by items[loop.dayString].state.split('_').
When I leave the `[Europe/Berlin]’ part in the String, the dayJS can’t create a proper date-time representation.

If I remove the `[Europe/Berlin]’ part in the String, the dayJS creates a proper date-time representation, but in the wrong TimeZone (GMT). My host system is running in TimeZone UTC+2 and the Docker-Container (witch serves openHAB) gets the TimeZone from the host system. I checked in the Docker-Container - TimeZone is CEST. So the timezones are the same…

Summarize

• Given String: 2021-05-12T20:00+02:00[Europe/Berlin]
  • Inject into dayJS in oh3-widget: not possible to create date-time representation
  • Remove content between [] ==> 2021-05-12T20:00+02:00
  • Inject into dayJS in oh3-widget: wrong TimeZone representation (it gets GMT)
    • Host system and Docker-Container have CEST (UTC+2)

Problem

• How to properly parse ZonedDateTime.toString with dayJS to get proper DateTime representation in oh3-widget

Doing what it is supposed to I think, parsing to UTC

Who cares, you’re working in the browser here.

This looks helpful?

I’m intrigued by the “guess” option :smiley:

But why is it parsing to UTC when proper TimeZone is given in the String?

I think it is important, because the browser gets the TimeZone from the host system it is running on. Therefor the javascripts in the browser also have a context of the host TimeZone given by the browse. Therefor the javascript libraries should get then the right TimeZone.

:joy: okay, this functionality looks interesting :stuck_out_tongue:
I will check it out and will respond later to that!
Thanks for pointing this out! :slight_smile:

Because you didn’t tell it to do anything different? It’s exactly the same moment in time, internal representation doesn’t matter much.
https://day.js.org/docs/en/timezone/parsing-in-zone

Still don’t care what the host system timezone is, you are working in the browser.
You just get a timestamp, with necessary timezone information.
Now, you have to decide whether you want to display that timestamp in the host supplied timezone, or in the viewer’s timezone. It’s your choice.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.