OH3 Zwave nodes not found

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPI4b 4Gb
    • openHAB version: 3.2.0

After updating my system towards OH3 (clean install with RPI4 instead of RPI3) I didn’t get my Zwave configuration working. I am using an Aeotec Z-stick Gen5 as interface, so fist problem was that the controller wasn’t found. I have managed to solve this by this solution: *Sticky?* Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 - Raspberry Pi4 - Hardware - Home Assistant Community
Now the stick is found but OH3 doesn’t discover the nodes that are programmed into the stick when I try to configure it.
I tried my configuration with text files (OH2), the I get the message:
[ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing ‘zwave:fakro_arz_00_000:controller:screen_node_3’ changed from ONLINE: Node initialising: PING to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller
What am I doing wrong?

By

Do you mean it was setup as the bridge by going to inbox, zwave ? Also are you using inbox, zwave, scan to get the nodes initialized?

Bob

Please provide more information:

1. Karaf console: bundle:list | grep ave
  2. Is the Z-Wave controller online?

Edit:
IIUC, you did a HW mod to your Z-Wave stick. Are you sure the stick is still OK?

The bridge didn’t appear in the inbox; I configured it manually.

In Karaf I got this:

openhab> bundle:list|grep ZW
289 x Active x  80 x 3.2.0                 x openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZWave Binding

In the interface the controller is online similar to your picture.

I checked the controller on my old setup (OH2 + RPI3) and there it still works fine.

The bridge is a manual setup from the inbox, zwave screen, so that sounds okay. Did you scan for nodes in the inbox after the controller was set? I’m a little confused by your message. The ID of the controller needs to be part of the node IDs, so need to be discovered

Bob

In my inbox nothing appears from the Zwave stick/devices. I added the controller manually by adding a thing>Z-wave binding>Z-wave serial controller. The controller then comes online but nothing else happens.
I can check the config of the nodes in the stick by software tool + my previous setup confirmed that this is OK.
This is how I configured it in OH2:

Bridge zwave:serial_zstick:controller "ZWave Controller" [ port="/dev/ttyACM0", controller_softreset="false", controller_master="true", heal_enable="true", security_networkkey="42 26 02 93 4E C3 91 2B FB C7 ED 31 1A AE A5 F7" ]
{
	fakro_arz_00_000 screen_node_3 "Screen E11_01" [ node_id=3 ]
	fakro_arz_00_000 screen_node_2 "Screen E14_01" [ node_id=2 ]	
}

From the Things screen you need to click the + button

Then select z-wave binding, then click Scan

This should find any devices that the stick knows about.

2 Likes

OK thanks, didn’t found the scan button on myself. Unfortunately the result is the same as with the configuration with text files: The node comes online for a short time and then it goes into communication error.

How did you fix the compatibility problem? HW mod or USB-Hub?

I did the HW mod.
I can give it a try with an hub (but it would be strange to achieve a different result).