OH4 Core development

Hello.
I nearly abandonned core development since the ESH migration, setting up a working eclipse environment is so difficult - I want to give it a try once again.

I think I succeeded in installing an eclipse environment with core bundles. After many time updating projects/ mvn clean/ mvn install everything seems to work fine and I can launch org.openhab.demo.app.

Cool :slight_smile:

I added magic addon to test changes I’m trying to introduce in org.openhab.core.model.thing and org.openhab.core.thing bundles (as well as org.openhab.core.model.thing.runtime). I have added these bundles in the org.openhab.demo.app pom.xml :

<dependency>
        <groupId>org.openhab.core.bundles</groupId>
        <artifactId>org.openhab.core.thing</artifactId>
      <version>${project.version}</version>
      <scope>runtime</scope>
    </dependency>

<dependency>
        <artifactId>org.openhab.core.model.thing</artifactId>
      <scope>runtime</scope>
    </dependency>

<dependency>
        <artifactId>org.openhab.core.model.thing.runtime</artifactId>
      <scope>runtime</scope>
    </dependency>

and added them to the app.bndrun :

When I “Debug OSGi” my modifications are not picked up and the debugger ignores them. I guess I forgot to do something to have them active.

Can somebody help ?

Try the Magic Binding bundle in the Marketplace instead.

The issue with the one in openhab-core is that the bundle name is not standard like all other add-ons. I already anticipated this issue when implementing:

I think the best fix would be to move the Magic Binding to openhab-addons and give it a proper bundle name.

My problem is not with the magic bundle. My point is about doing modifications in org.openhab.core.mode.thing

@J-N-K , sorry to ping you. You may have a brilliant idea…

Sorry, I don’t use Eclipse or the demo App. I use IntelliJ IDEA and Remote Debugging in a standalone openHAB instance.

While I am not working on OH core I find above way (standalone instance) quickest to get started with and closest to “common way”. IDE support makes things faster, but sometimes breaking for unclear reasons.

Got it ! My changes were not picked up because there still existed build errors.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.