Old House, New Technology - My adventures with OH

Unless you only want to watch silent movies, I guess it makes more sense to place the Pi close to the receiver. Then connect your receiver to your projector.

1 Like

When I bought my house in 1995 I didnt have much chance to easily put in a lot of cabling and at that time Cat-5 was all there was. When I put in a new floor foor underfloorheating, at least I had the foreseeing eye to lay cables under the floor from one room to another and even bury an NTC. That was CAT-5 and audiocable (no one had heard of smart-homes at that time.

Those cables came in handy laterā€¦ but now I think 'if I onlyā€¦'
Anyway, my point is that when I had the opportunity, I used cables that were then top of the line what was available.
I know buying a home can be expensiveā€¦ but then I surely would not save say a 100 Euro on cabling.

With regard to the voltage, indeed go for standard.
With regard to PoEā€¦ if you use it, go for standard as well. I have a few W5100 ethernetmodules that have a different PoE standard and I had to make an adapter plug with a big red label on it. Making that is not the problem, but maybe using it on the wrong port might be.

Keep up your ā€˜diaryā€™ Always interesting to read what others are doing

Oh good catchā€¦ Iā€™ll run Ethernet to the projector anyways and add an audio line back to the receiver :slight_smile:

As promised hereā€™s the next chapter of my automation plans:

HVAC

This chapter about ā€œHeating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)ā€ will be shorter than the one about lighting. The house has no underfloor heating, just standard radiators on the walls. These can be retrofitted with a wireless thermostat (Iā€™m not sure which system I should choose here. Homematic / eQ3 maybe?). This way I can set target temperatures depending on actual and projected occupancy, time, outside temperature etc. Iā€™ll use the window contacts to detect ventilation and stop heating, the usual stuff.This pretty much concludes the heating part. Regarding ventilation, I plan to monitor indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity so the system can recommend at what times I should open and close the windows on hot summer days. AC is not really a topic as I wonā€™t have an AC :sweat:

Security

Yeah well security, I donā€™t exactly know what and how to do. Local police here has guidelines for burglary prevention and publishes statistics on the modi operandi of burglary and theft that happened in the area. The guidelines all boil down to a single message: Use physical security to delay any attempt to break in for as long as possible. So while I fully agree with the guidelines and will take measures towards physical hardening of my home, that has not much to do with the home automation side of things. Best I could do, I guess, is plausibility checks of the various sensors, like if a door or window gets opened although no one is home. If anyone of you has an idea, story or link to share about this Iā€™m all ears :slight_smile:

Laundry

The shortest topic. I want to get a notification when my washing machine and dryer have finished their respective cycle, and I want the notifications to stop when the machine is opened.

Sorry for letting so much time pass between my posts. Iā€™ll try to show some pictures of cabling within a few weeks.

Cheers
Ben

1 Like

You could use a hdmi range extender.
I used a passive 6 meter hdmi cable.
I had to cut away the hdmi plug - and, of course, had to rewire one, to fit the hdmi cable through the ductwork.
The soldering was ā€¦ well, 19 pins in about 3cmā€¦ no funā€¦

As my projector is only 720x1280, the hdmi cable is ok for me, but Iā€™m doubtful if full hd will work properly. My projector should downscale full hd, but this does not work flawless, maybe I made a mistake with mode settingā€¦ anyway, Iā€™m pretty sure I will have to upgrade to an extender if changing the projector to full hd.

I run the MAX! thermostats, theyā€™re essentially from the same vendor as Homematic although not compatible - but cheaper. You need a maxcube as the gateway and the OH maxcube binding.
That way, you can also get the MAX! window sensors and use them as generic window/door sensors for as little as 20 ā‚¬.

Hey Iā€™m looking for that kind of actuators. Could you point me in a direction? I donā€™t know what to google forā€¦

Thanks

Applies to most ZWave actuators. Fibaro devices are quite popular among OH users, such as the FGS-223 (dual 230V switch).