[solved]Onkyo binding support for TX-NR676E

Hi!
Recently bought a new receiver and didn’t check compatibility with the Onkyo-binding, and of course the receiver wasn’t supported. Now I wonder if it is hard to add support for my receiver and if that could possibly be done?

Thanks in advance

Have you actually tried it or just couldn’t find it in the list?

I tried and get some channels but paperui list it as: Unsupported Onkyo AV Receiver.

If need be I can test it and verify which channels work and if there is any trouble, anything I can do to provide information. In the end I would just like to see it as a supported device in paperui.

Mine also says so, but it works just fine:

Dimmer TVSound                    (media)                { channel = "onkyo:onkyoUnsupported:15b0ac73-adac-73b9-7ba5-7309adb9a41d:zone1#volume" }
Number InputSelector              (media)                { channel = "onkyo:onkyoUnsupported:15b0ac73-adac-73b9-7ba5-7309adb9a41d:zone1#input" }

Currently, all features (channels) which are supported by the binding are same for all models, so unsupported model should work fine. Only differences between supported and unsupported is that supported models have correct amount of zones (1-3) and unsupported model support only only 1 (main) zone. If you need more zones, you can introduce your receivers as a “onkyoAVR” model which support all 3 zones or any other supported model which have same mount of zones than you receiver have.

It’s rather easy to add new models to binding.

1. Create new xml file to receiver (see https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/tree/master/addons/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/ESH-INF/thing)
  2. Add new model to https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/blob/master/addons/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/onkyo/OnkyoBindingConstants.java file.

Files could be added/edited also directly from GitHub (you need GitHub account). When you create pull request to openHAB main repo, Travis build is automatically executed and in the end there should be new test version of the binding available. So you don’t necessarily need openHAB development environment to add new models.

Hi!
Thanks for all answers, seems like I have what I need then for now since I don’t use zones.

It is really cool though that it is so easy to add a new receiver, so will probably try to do it as soon as I have some spare time.

br
/edward

1 Like

hate to be a pain but, where do I get the test build after I make my pull requests? sorry this is my first time making a pull request.

I see you have done two separated pull requests. All changes should be in one PR, otherwise your changes will not work as every PR is builded separately.

Ok I believe I have made the correct changes and submitted a new pull request (with everything in that one pr), still not sure where I get the test version of the binding after the compile is complete though, I’d love to test it.

PR builds can be found from jfrog’s openhab artifactory:

https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-pullrequest-local/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/2.4.0-SNAPSHOT/

Beware that there is a only latest build available per binding. So when every new PR is submitted to onkyo binding, jar file will be over written.

Thank you so much, just tested and works great, Thanks again