openHAB 2.0 beta3 is now available!

Hi Kai, great news on OH2.
I want to move from 1.x to 2, but I need user authentication. Is this implemented in beta 3?

Walter

@walter Unfortunately not yet, see this issue. (@splatch Any news from you on this?).

For the time being, I’d suggest to use a reverse proxy like NGINX or Apache for securing access.

Just found this page that might be helpful
https://www.terramultimedia.de/cms/en/smarthome/openhab/121-securing-openhab

Do you know if HABdroid will work in this case (authentication handled by NGINX)?

2 Likes

Yes both mobile clients use BASIC authentication, so this will work.

I was just looking at this issue yesterday , I’ll start up the conversation again over there.

1 Like

@Kai maybe you should make a news on the WEB site for announcing 1.8.3 and 2.0 beta 3 ? I saw that download links have already been updated to reference 1.8.3.

I am working on a blog post, I will probably post it tomorrow - with it, I will then also add the news on the website and on Twitter.

1 Like

Perfect

@Kai & @digitaldan:
I just found this discussion since I spoke with Kai about oAuth Support and how to help.
Why do we want to create Security concepts / Models by our own. Lets use a framework?

What speaks against Apache Shiro (http://shiro.apache.org/) ?
We may put shiro into a single bundle which than exports a SecurityManager as an OSGI service (other bindings could import and use it).
As I remember from my investigations for Authentication, there is also a Karaf feature for OSGi integration.
Not sure how thin shiro is, but its worth to check it out…
Maybe I am wrong…bus at least an idea…

@MARZIMA Let’s don’t discuss this here, but directly on the issue.

@kai I presume that through the b3 release, also https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/1393 is part of b3? if so, then that is quite a showstopper. Cfr the discussion we have at hand, and the fact that the root cause has not been found yet, a suggestion could be to revert to the previous Xtext version for the time being?

At least for me moving to b3 is a no-go, and I can image a lot of people will be in the same position if there is no guarantee that Rules and Scripts can run…

Karel

What would be the easiest way to upgrade from beta2 to beta3 on Mac OS X without losing any configuration? I was thinking a copy command like:

sudo cp -R ~/Downloads/openhab2b3/* /opt/openhab2

(only after gracefully stopping OH2, of course)

Will this do?

I believe the .deb package is now available for b3? Is there a repository that can now be added?

Or I assume I can download the .deb from https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/openHAB-Distribution/
and install using dkpg? But that is snapshot and not actually the b3 release.

See here. beta3 through apt is available since last night.

Hi,
I’m want to set up openhab. Should I do it now with 1.8 or 2.0 beta or wait until the final release of 2.0. Is there a release date?

Hi @Motte001, take a look here:

I gave up on OH2.
Gonna try 1.8.

Wanted to play a bit with oh2 beta online version package=demo
Out of the box download, install and start.
After start browser showed error; looks like I had to wait a little bit after everything was downloaded.
Finally Browser UI showed up and could try out demo.
While being a oh1.x user for some years and actually quite satisfied with config over files, i must admit; really very impressive!
Great work folks! Keep it up!
Jens

1 Like

Hi all,

I was trying to install OH2 following the instructions in the documentation here…://docs.openhab.org/installation/apt.html

pi@LeDumpier-Hub:~ $ wget -qO - ‘//bintray.com/user/downloadSubjectPublicKey?username=openhab’ | sudo apt-key add -
OK
pi@LeDumpier-Hub:~ $

pi@LeDumpier-Hub:~ $ echo ‘deb ://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 testing main’ | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list
deb ://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 testing main

sudo apt-get update looks like this…

Ign ://dl.bintray.com jessie/main Translation-en
Ign ://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/contrib Translation-en
Err ://dl.bintray.com stable/main armhf Packages
404 Not Found [IP: 5.153.35.248 80]
Ign ://dl.bintray.com stable/main Translation-en_GB
Ign ://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/main Translation-en_GB
Ign ://dl.bintray.com stable/main Translation-en
Ign ://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/main Translation-en
Ign ://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/non-free Translation-en_GB
Ign ://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/non-free Translation-en
Ign ://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/rpi Translation-en_GB
Ign ://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/rpi Translation-en
Fetched 11.2 kB in 7s (1,519 B/s)
W: Failed to fetch ://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2/dists/stable/main/binary-armhf/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 5.153.35.248 80]

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

pi@LeDumpier-Hub:~ $ sudo apt-get install openhab2-offline
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package openhab2-offline

How did I manage to break this?

Take a look here:

or here: