openHAB 2.0 is out!

Great! Thanks guys!

Is Z-Wave security support included in this release?

Not as I am aware off.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! Looks like I’ll keep waiting to update to OH2 unfortunately!

You can run the 1.9 zwave binding to get security.

My first post on this forum and let me start by saying a big “THANK YOU!” to the people who make OH1/2 possible, I love it a lot. It was a bit painful to get something working, but with perseverance and this forum, I managed to get a basic setup that I am happy with. And now I can continue adding stuff and improving my setup. The change from OH1 to OH2 was also a difficult one, even with the help of the excellent migration tutorial.

At the same time the beauty of openHAB is also the problem, its massively impressive flexibility. Even the migration tutorial regularly mentions several ways of doing stuff. I started by playing with the B5 version, and ended up with a bit of mess, that was actually working nevertheless. Cleaning the mess was not really possible, so I acquired a new SD card, and installed a fresh version and started working more with the paperUI and less with text files. This helped, and it gave me something I am happy with, combining some Z-Wave stuff and some CoCo stuff, driven using the excellent rfxcom box.

Yesterday evening I switched to the final 2.0 build, and that was completely flawless. Changed the repo, apt-get update/upgrade, restarted and everything worked! One interesting issue I noticed, I have one Z-Wave device (SwiidInter cord-switch) that has been behaving badly from the beginning. This device is actually one of the reasons I switched form domoticz to openHAB. Domoticz very regularly reported the device dead, and then indeed it could not be switched on/off using domoticz. OH1 and OH2 works different, the device always continues to work properly, although in the log it was still reported as “dead”, starting a couple of hours after a reboot. Since switching to the final built of OH2 however, these “dead node” logs also disappeared, great!

I hope to be able to contribute something to the forum in the future, but as I consider myself still very much a newbie in this business, that will be something difficult.

1 Like

I decided not to make such a large change just before the release of OH2. Security is included in the development branch and a few people are using this and it seems to work fine. In the coming days I’ll try and make this available for wider testing - I’ll make an announcement about that separately.

3 Likes

When I wget this URL from the host:

wget http://127.0.0.1:8080/rest

the response starts with:

“version”:“0.9.0.b4”

but I feel like I’ve gone through the steps to add the right repo and ran the update. It doesn’t look like it, but is this the correct version number?

That’s correct, 0.9.0.b4 is the version of the REST API (which is part of Eclipse SmartHome).
For detailed version information, check the file ${OPENHAB_USERDATA}/etc/version-properties.

2 Likes

Got it! Thanks!

1 Like

Many thanks to all developers for this milestone !!!

Please open a separate topic for this - I can assure you that the release contains everything that was there in b5.

Makes sense, thanks @chris. I will work with the snapshot version in that case!

What’s the easiest way foot someone on 1.8 to hop on board? Should I just restart fresh?

http://docs.openhab.org/tutorials/migration

Fresh install of OH2 (optionally, in parallel to existing OH1), then migrate slowly your configs.

Thanks!!
I was waiting so desperately for it!
Will upgrade the next days.
Again: thanks to all of you @Kai @maintainers

I also want to say THANK YOU for this big step forward!

But I have a question: I updated from the snapshot version to the 2.0 stable release (apt-get). What happens now when there are updates to a specific binding (in this case: zwave)? @chris updates his binding very frequently (and I’m happy about that!). Do I get the latest binding updates with apt-get update/upgrade? Or are these frequent updates only usable in the snapshot release of the binding? And if so, can I use the stable release of OH2, but the snapshot releases of the binding? Or is it “all snapshot/unstable” or “all stable”?

2 Likes

Thank you Guys.
You did a very hard job very very well.

Thank you guys.
The works made is amazing