Openhab 2.1 does not start anymore after reinstall

I had a working opehhab 2.1 installation (Beaglebone/Debian Jessie) updated from 2.0 via apt from the repo.

Wanted to clear the database, so deleted /var/lib/openhab2 removed openhab 2.1 and did a reinstall.
Now it does not start anymore, can see that the process is started with ps aux. But it even does not create a log file.

How to debug startup issues when there is no log file and no info in syslog ?

There’s more than just database files in that folder, I suspect you may have deleted the system configuration files too, try reinstalling it and filling in the necessary files:

sudo apt-get --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confmiss" install openhab2

Tried the reinstall command, but unfortunately it seems not to help.

When checking it seems to run:

debian@beaglebone:/var/log/openhab2$ ps aux | grep openhab
openhab 12457 0.0 0.4 4188 2484 ? Ss 13:34 0:00 /bin/bash /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/bin/karaf server
openhab 12617 11.8 8.0 224096 40092 ? Sl 13:34 0:16 /usr/bin/java -Dopenhab.home=/usr/share/openhab2 -Dopenhab.conf=/etc/openhab2 -Dopenhab.runtime=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -Dopenhab.userdata=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dopenhab.logdir=/var/log/openhab2 -Dfelix.cm.dir=/var/lib/openhab2/config -Djetty.host=0.0.0.0 -Dorg.ops4j.pax.web.listening.addresses=0.0.0.0 -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port=8080 -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port.secure=8443 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyS0:/dev/ttyS2:/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyAMA0 -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/endorsed:/usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/lib/endorsed:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/endorsed -Djava.ext.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/ext:/usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/lib/ext:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/ext -Dkaraf.instances=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/instances -Dkaraf.home=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -Dkaraf.base=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dkaraf.data=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dkaraf.etc=/var/lib/openhab2/etc -Dkaraf.restart.jvm.supported=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/lib/openhab2/tmp -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/openhab2/etc/java.util.logging.properties -Dkaraf.startLocalConsole=false -Dkaraf.startRemoteShell=true -classpath /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.boot-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.main-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.osgi.core-6.0.0.jar org.apache.karaf.main.Main

But no log file… the weird thing is… it was a working configuration, until the reinstall of Openhab.

What is the output sudo journalctl -u openhab2 -b ?

Sorry I am not able to check it anymore. I restored a previous sdcard image to able to control my lights again.
Will be on holiday very soon so need some working lights during absence, so not much time to do something :slight_smile:

If I end up in the same situation again I will try “sudo journalctl -u openhab2 -b”

But anyway, thanks for your help.

No problem, glad you have a running instance anyhow! :slight_smile: