openHAB 2.3 has been released!

Everything went super smooth here as well, thanks a bunch. I updated via apt-get upgrade, only had to reinit a couple things.

Why I dont see ComfoAir Binding in PaperUI and why there is no anymore any orher UI available ? Missing basicuiā€¦

Create a new thread(topic) under https://community.openhab.org/c/setup-configuration-and-use/beginners
Fill up the info from the template

Updated openhabian from 2.2 to 2.3 - all UIs are gone. Adding them in addons.cfg didnā€™t help.
Any ideas? Any way to install at least the paperui via console?

Hm, a reboot solved the problemā€¦ donā€™t know why but now it seems to work.

I want to thank all maintainers for the effort spent to provide the stable release 2.3!!!
I updated via openhabian-config as described and had no issue! Super!

Iā€™m running openhabian and updated from 2.2 to 2.3 today. I used openhabian-config and ran option 2 - Upgrade System. During the upgrade I was prompted with two items because I had modified local files and the update was installing new versions:

1. /etc/default/openhab2
    Nothing important changed here. Back when trying to get 2.2 to see my ZStick I had added somethings to EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS.
  2. /etc/openhab2/services/runtime.cfg
    Here I had configured org.eclipse.smarthome.persistence:default=mysql

In both cases I told the installer to overwrite my changed files with the new versions in the update (after saving copies of the old ones).

After the update I found mysql persistence didnā€™t work so I re-instated the change in runtime.cfg, but that didnā€™t seem to work. In the end I went into the Paper UI Addons and had to reinstall Mysql persistence (it was not showing as installed). After that it worked again.

Also, after reading the 2.3 release notes, I also made the changes to WU items but now Iā€™ve got the wrong units showing. Still working on fixing that.

Thanks to the maintainers for the update!

I tried to follow the upgrade procedure but openhabian tells me that my 2.2.0-1 version is already the newest version and there is nothing to upgrade? openhabian config is updated, I see the option ā€œopenHAB Stableā€ as it was mentioned in one of the first postsā€¦

Anyone can help?

$ apt-key add openhab-key.asc 
OK

$ apt update 
Reading package lists... Done
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

$ apt -y install openhab2 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
openhab2 is already the newest version (2.2.0-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

your apt update is failing

debug this and you will be fine

example: https://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/unable-to-lock-the-administration-directory-var-lib-dpkg-is-another-process

Reading this thread it seems to me that thereā€™s a lot of migration to be done after (or before) changing from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0.
Can anyone please make a summary of all this?

1 Like

Read the ā€œBreaking Changes that Require Manual Interaction after the Upgradeā€ in the release notes (linked in the first post)

1 Like

Fine. Thanks for ponting into the right direction!

I noticed a fundamental difference between OpenHAB 2.2 and OpenHAB 2.3:
When using the Image tag in the sitemap, in OpenHAB 2.2 the following worked fine:

Image refresh=300000 url="http://openhabianpi:3000/render/dashboard-solo/db/openhab-data?orgId=1&panelId=16&from=now-2d&to=now&width=1000&height=500"

even when one connected remotely to the OpenHAB instance (via Web browser or Android app). In 2.3 it no longer works, I assume due to the fact that the urls are now interpreted from the perspective of the (remote) machine that looks at the sitemap, no longer from the machine that runs the OpenHAB instance. I also tried

Image refresh=300000 url="http://localhost:3000/render/dashboard-solo/db/openhab-data?orgId=1&panelId=16&from=now-2d&to=now&width=1000&height=500"

yet this made no difference. In fact, it seems that only the web browser and the OpenHAB beta Android app currently display the images (when accessing the sitemap from the local network), with the regular app I donā€™t get anything anymore. As another note: the Webview tag always interpreted the URLs as from the (remote) machine.

My suggestion for the future would be that both the Image and the Webview tag receive an additional option to specify that the url should be called from the OpenHAB instance, as opposed to from the machine looking at the web interface. Then the access to pages in openhabconfig\html*.html would be easier, and it would avoid having to open additional ports on the router for further web access.

Tobias

Kai,

I want to thank you and the other contributors for a magnificent upgrade. It is an impressive upgrade for me especially as I was unable to upgrade to v2.2 due to serial port issues that I was unable to resolve. v2.3 fixes all that and I am able to take advantage of the many new features. I have recommended openHAB to my son and he has taken a real interest in it. I have helped him configure his Rpi system and offered help with his first rules (based on my limited experience).

I also want to apologize for my harsh criticism of the bugs in v2.2. Even though I was unable to upgrade to 2.2, I neglected to give you and the other contributors the credit and appreciation yā€™all deserve for all your hard work. I will keep that in mind in any future posts.

5 Likes

Anyone having trouble with the ā€œD-Link Smarthomeā€ Binding? It mainly controls the DCH-S150 motion sensor.

It worked flawlessly in 2.2, unfortunately I am not getting any motion triggering in 2.3. Been watching the logs and adding and removing and readding the things over and over.

Today Iā€™ve tried to upgrade my Openhab 2.1 to 2.3ā€¦so far many problems.

1. After upgrade there is only ā€œREST APIā€ box in Openhab panel. How to activate other interfaces like ā€œPaperUIā€ or ā€œBasicā€ ?
  2. MCP23017 binding puts many error logs

"2018-08-11 10:56:42.431 [ERROR] [nding.AbstractGenericBindingProvider] - Binding org.openhab.binding.mcp23017.internal.MCP23017Binding threw an exception:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not instantiate I2CBus
at com.pi4j.io.i2c.impl.I2CProviderImpl.getBus(I2CProviderImpl.java:74) [195:org.openhab.binding.mcp23017:1.11.0.201707130521]
at com.pi4j.io.i2c.impl.I2CProviderImpl.getBus(I2CProviderImpl.java:112) [195:org.openhab.binding.mcp23017:1.11.0.201707130521]
at com.pi4j.io.i2c.I2CFactory.getInstance(I2CFactory.java:76) [195:org.openhab.binding.mcp23017:1.11.0.201707130521]

1. ā€œThe operator ā€˜==ā€™ should be replaced by ā€˜===ā€™ when null is one of the arguments.ā€ should I really change == to === in each place?

Most important problem to solve is missing UI interfaces any suggestion how to fix it?

Michal

Problem 1) was solved changes in addson.config were required. Still struggling with other problems.

3 is a change introduced in 2.3. itā€™s just a warning, not an error. It means that is you have null on either side of an equals or not equals operator you need to use an extra = (i.e. === instead of == and !== Instead of !=). The errors tell you exactly what line numbers in your. Rules files need the change.

The explanation is technical for why. If you are curious, search the forum and Google for equivalence versus identity.

2 looks like a permission problem. Double check that the openhab user is still a member of the groups necessary to read/write to the I2C device. Have you tried a reboot if the server? I donā€™t use this binding so wonā€™t be if much further use helping with this problem.

1 shouldnā€™t of happened. I do know that users who make larger leaps in versions (e.g 2.1 to 2.3, 2.0 to 2.2, etc) tend to face more problems like theses than others. The maintainerā€™s and testers do a pretty good job of testing but rarely have environments where they are upgrading from more than the previous version so it makes sense that more problems like theses sneak by.

1 Like

Iā€™ve perform upgrade once again, previously Iā€™ve used ā€œsudo apt-get upgradeā€ instead of openhabian-config.

Now I used openhabian-config but after upgrade process when I start openhab using:
/etc/init.d/openhab2 start

it seems nothing happen, log files are empty and I web interface does not work :frowning:

drwxrwxr-x+ 3 openhab openhab 4096 Aug 11 19:37 .
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Aug 11 19:21 ā€¦
-rw-rw-r-- 1 openhab openhab 0 Aug 11 19:37 audit.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 openhab openhab 0 Aug 11 19:37 events.log
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 openhabian openhabian 4096 Aug 11 19:05 OLD_LOG
-rw-rw-r-- 1 openhab openhab 0 Aug 11 19:37 openhab.log

openHABian is based on Jessie, I think there is not an init.d anymore.
Start openHAB the recommended way:

sudo systemctl start openhab2.service