openHAB Milestone builds

What frequencie are we aiming for with Milestone releases? Just asking as it has been a while. I know that there is no precise answer. But are we talking once a month or more once a quarter?

If I remember correctly, in the first post, Kai said the plan for Milestone releases was approximately monthly

I read a lot about the different available builds now, but - maybe i just got lost in translation - can anyone here try to explain the differences between Stable, Snapshot and Milestone?

from my understading
a stable release is something that has been tested pretty intensivly and only happens once in a while e.g. 2 times per anno
a milestone build is something that incorporates actual changes bugfixes and stuff, hasn’t been tested comprehensivly (like @mstormi said :slight_smile: ) and happens like once a month
now where do i find snapshots? are those something “inbetween” the others?

i’m just trying to find out which docker image best fits for me…
i don’t have a problem with going for milestone even if that means i have to do some research or some work like redoing all my things because of the z-wave change as i think i can only learn from that…but i’m a little bit confused right now… :open_mouth:

• snapshot: all the code that has been merged to the baseline up until yesterday, there is a new snapshot release every day
  • milestone: a snapshot that has no known bugs at the time it was created, the goal is for one a month but I think it has been more than a month since M4, not all changes will necessarily be announced
  • release: a tested and fully documented baseline

If you are using Docker, just choose the desired image version. For example the 2.4 snapshot image would be

openhab/openhab:2.4-snapshot-amd64-debian

One other thing you might want to know about snapshots… It’s possible that any snapshot build is broken in some way. Although it is much more infrequent than it has been in the past, there are occasions where a snapshot build will break existing functionality, sometime badly. When that happens, it normally takes a day or so for the issue to get sorted out.

OTOH, running snapshot builds gives you immediate access to new functionality. This is why I’ve been running snapshot builds on all three of my systems since day one.

If you decide to run snapshot builds, having a good backup regimen becomes really important. :wink:

M4 was on Sept. 25 and 2.4.0.M5 is… NOW!
I just finished building and releasing it - so almost within one month again. :slight_smile:

It includes a few important changes:

• The newline issue in the ssh connection has been fixed.
  • The instance shutdown upon VS Code disconnect is solved (openHAB again keeps running)
  • HABot is included (the new Chatbot UI)

And here’s some more from Jenkins:

1. updated to 1.0.33 for new zigbee libs (detail / githubweb)
  2. Set maven-install-plugin version to 2.5.2 (#408) (detail / githubweb)
  3. prevent System.exit() calls (#409) (detail / githubweb)
  4. Adding new ESH bundles as dependencies (#411) (detail / githubweb)
  5. Integrate ESH authentication features in openHAB (#412) (detail / githubweb)
  6. Revert “Integrate ESH authentication features in openHAB (#412)” (#414) (detail / githubweb)
  7. added new semantics bundle as dependency (#415) (detail / githubweb)
  8. Small change to highlight the mandatory use of the everyMinute strategy (detail / githubweb)
  9. Fix spelling in maxcul readme (#5673) (detail / githubweb)
  10. Eliminate the null pointer exception in the getHost method. (#5669) (detail / githubweb)
  11. [RRD4J] Fix NoSuchMethodError when using Java 9/10/11 (#5675) (detail / githubweb)
  12. fixed version of maven-install-plugin (#5676) (detail / githubweb)
  13. added 1.x to mqtt binding label (#5678) (detail / githubweb)
  14. Small change to highlight the mandatory use of the everyMinute strategy (detail / githubweb)
  15. Fix spelling in maxcul readme (#5673) (detail / githubweb)
  16. Eliminate the null pointer exception in the getHost method. (#5669) (detail / githubweb)
  17. [RRD4J] Fix NoSuchMethodError when using Java 9/10/11 (#5675) (detail / githubweb)
  18. fixed version of maven-install-plugin (#5676) (detail / githubweb)
  19. added 1.x to mqtt binding label (#5678) (detail / githubweb)
  20. Small change to highlight the mandatory use of the everyMinute strategy (detail / githubweb)
  21. Fix spelling in maxcul readme (#5673) (detail / githubweb)
  22. Eliminate the null pointer exception in the getHost method. (#5669) (detail / githubweb)
  23. [RRD4J] Fix NoSuchMethodError when using Java 9/10/11 (#5675) (detail / githubweb)
  24. fixed version of maven-install-plugin (#5676) (detail / githubweb)
  25. added 1.x to mqtt binding label (#5678) (detail / githubweb)
  26. Small change to highlight the mandatory use of the everyMinute strategy (detail / githubweb)
  27. Fix spelling in maxcul readme (#5673) (detail / githubweb)
  28. Eliminate the null pointer exception in the getHost method. (#5669) (detail / githubweb)
  29. [RRD4J] Fix NoSuchMethodError when using Java 9/10/11 (#5675) (detail / githubweb)
  30. fixed version of maven-install-plugin (#5676) (detail / githubweb)
  31. added 1.x to mqtt binding label (#5678) (detail / githubweb)
  32. Database update (#1016) (detail / githubweb)
  33. Add null check when processing wakeup time config update (#1017) (detail / githubweb)
  34. Update queue management (#1018) (detail / githubweb)
  35. Database update (#1019) (detail / githubweb)
  36. Add new tamper notification type and update MS-100+ (#1020) (detail / githubweb)
  37. Database resync (#1021) (detail / githubweb)
  38. Database update (#1022) (detail / githubweb)
  39. Database update (#1023) (detail / githubweb)
  40. Process node state events in the thing handler (#1025) (detail / githubweb)
  41. Ignore any configuration updates that do not change values (#1028) (detail / githubweb)
  42. Database update (#1030) (detail / githubweb)
  43. Add alarm_emergency channel (#1033) (detail / githubweb)
  44. use SecureRandom to generate S0 security key (#1032) (detail / githubweb)
  45. Don’t set the device online once static is complete (#1035) (detail / githubweb)
  46. Database update (#1038) (detail / githubweb)
  47. Add door_sensor channel from door lock command class (#1037) (detail / githubweb)
  48. Database update (#1039) (detail / githubweb)
  49. Alarm and multilevel sensor report updates (#1042) (detail / githubweb)
  50. Database update (#1043) (detail / githubweb)
  51. Database update (#1044) (detail / githubweb)
  52. Add information on debugging (#1045) (detail / githubweb)
  53. Update README.md (#1046) (detail / githubweb)
  54. Database update (#1047) (detail / githubweb)
  55. Remove unnecessary debug in on off converter (#269) (detail / githubweb)
  56. Update defaults and options for PANID and channel (#265) (detail / githubweb)
  57. Fix error defining static thinguid (#256) (detail / githubweb)
  58. Remove the node from the ZigBeeNetworkManager when the thing is removed (detail / githubweb)
  59. Synchronise AtmosphericPressure converter attribute processor (#262) (detail / githubweb)
  60. Synchronise attribute processing in level converter (#263) (detail / githubweb)
  61. Protect against getNodes being called before network is up (#264) (detail / githubweb)
  62. Add trace level logging into channel detection (#251) (detail / githubweb)
  63. Add door lock state channel (#254) (detail / githubweb)
  64. Initial code additions for setting join key, and support for Ember (detail / githubweb)
  65. Minor updates for Ember config and Bridge config updates (#271) (detail / githubweb)
  66. Fix minor bugs in on/off converter (#272) (detail / githubweb)
  67. Add ASH protocol statistics channels (#258) (detail / githubweb)
  68. Add stack compliance level to the device properties (#275) (detail / githubweb)
  69. Improve logging when commands received by the binding (#274) (detail / githubweb)
  70. ZigBeeSerialPort: Do not synchronize on this when closing the serial (detail / githubweb)
  71. README: fix switched numbers (#278) (detail / githubweb)
  72. README: s/ti2531/cc2531/g (#279) (detail / githubweb)
  73. Add dynamic state description provider (#280) (detail / githubweb)
  74. Allow updates to milestone builds (#778) (detail / githubweb)
  75. Bump ZigBee libraries to 1.1.2 (#775) (detail / githubweb)
  76. Fix for : New Update.ps1 found. Using that… double -SNAPSHOT appended (detail / githubweb)
  77. Added Alert message regarding inclusion of UoM in Synop Binding (#783) (detail / githubweb)
  78. added new ESH MQTT binding to distro (#781) (detail / githubweb)
  79. enable authentication by default (#782) (detail / githubweb)
  80. Revert “enable authentication by default (#782)” (#785) (detail / githubweb)
  81. added HABot feature (#793) (detail / githubweb)
  82. Update demo.items with semantic tags and synonyms (#792) (detail / githubweb)
  83. added ESH io.http and core.semantics bundles to launch config (#795) (detail / githubweb)
  84. switched download urls to new Jenkins instance (#797) (detail / githubweb)
  85. Make the embedded MQTT server less noisy (#798) (detail / githubweb)
  86. Make backup without tmp and cache (#756) (detail / githubweb)
  87. Fix Karaf 4.2.1 broken SSH output using an override (#800) (detail / githubweb)

Quite some changes from just one month of coding - and this is without the changes done on the ESH side (I still don’t know, how we can retrieve such a list from there…)

14 Likes

If we knew which ESH build was included, we could look them up here… https://ci.eclipse.org/smarthome/job/SmartHomeDistribution-Stable/changes.

there is no m5 for me if i try to update with openhabian-config…m4 is the newest version.
im on milestone 4 with openhabian.

$ apt -y install openhab2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openhab2 is already the newest version (2.4.0~M4-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 Like

oh! time to test M5 with Java 10 :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, you could not - we are building our own ESH artifacts for the milestones from Commits · openhab/smarthome · GitHub - but you can scan through the commits of this branch, yes.

@Benjy Can you help here? Did the deployment go to the wrong repo? I see it being uploaded to https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg while it probably should rather be in linuxpkg-testing?

1 Like

Hm, no, the url seems to be ok as M4 has also been published to https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg.

:+1: Thumbs up for this new milestone.

I have the slight feeling that the changes from openHAB 2 Add-ons are missing too (in the list).

Looks like it - should hopefully be better on future builds, if they succeed right away again…

checked my sources.list.d

deb https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 testing main

The files go onto artifactory before being distributed to Bintray. I’m not seeing it on an apt update either, but it is there: https://bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2/openhab2/2.4.0~M5

I’ll see what I can do and will let you know when it’s available.

Excellent, thank you! Double excellent… M5 includes the fix for ItemStateTriggerHandler!

1 Like

The M5 build is now on the APT and YUM repos! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

looks like the docker is not yet having M5… is that expected?
M4 appears to be pushed/updated 13h ago to the docker

Afaik, there still isn’t an automatic process for docker in place, so this indeed is not covered by the build+release process. It needs to be manually done, but @cniweb probably can better comment here.

There’s a PR waiting for approval: