[SOLVED] openHAB 2.5 - MQTT imbedded or external

• Platform information:

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi +3B 1.2GHz - 1GB ram
    • Java Runtime Environment:
    • openHAB version: 2.5.0
  • Issue of the topic: 1st time setup openHAB 2.5.0 do i setup the inbedded mqtt broker or go for an install of Mosquitto

• notes:
    Reading a number of topics with regards to the mqtt setup I am rather confussed as to the best way to go. The earlier users had to use an external broker but openHAB 2.* has an in built broker.
    There is a lot of information on the external broker setup and people saying this is the best setup.
    I cannot find a great deal of information on setting up the mqtt in built broker.
    I want to be able to setup the best and most robust and supported mqtt so the question is which way to go?
    Many thanks in advance, Coops

1 Like

If I understand Rich right , than the Embedded Broker is not longer maintained.

2 Likes

Welcome to the openHAB Community :heart:

Here is a blog post from openHAB about the embedded MQTT broker.

There is also a good video about that topic.

Thanks to @MK-SmartHouse again :slight_smile:

What is the best or most robust setup :man_shrugging: I don’t want to be the judge for that.

I personally went with the mosquitto broker since I already had it since openHAB 1.7.X or something.
I never really tried the embedded one, so I can’t really give an opinion on that one.

I can tell my mosquitto broker never failed or had any problem so far.
(The only problem was Me, not reading the documentation for the setup :wink: )

2 Likes

I looked at that video Elias, that’s what I was going to do, but its the only help on the embedded broker.
Then I started to see the further I looked the embedded broker was not being maintained and info was not available like Kevin has posted. I don’t want to try and set something up (embedded broker) if openHAB are going back to the external broker.

1 Like

Then you made a decision, to not use the embedded broker for now. :slight_smile:
:+1:

1 Like

Yes, I will be going home tonight to configure Mosquitto on the Raspberry Pi.
Should is use another Pi or install on the same ones as openHAB 2.5.0

I use the same PI. Mosquitto is not that resource hungry.

1 Like

Many thanks Elias

1 Like

I do use the embedded broker. It is easier to set up, basically click click done.
Also for clarity, Moquette (the embedded broker) seems to be no longer maintained by the developers but it’s implementation in OpenHAB is still supported and it works fine.

I’m not sure we can claim that much. It’s implementation in OH is still there but it’s not exactly supported. If you encounter any problem with it, the solution will be “remove it and install mosquitto.”

2 Likes

I had to uninstall it because it did not work very well