[SOLVED] OpenHAB 2.5 RC 1 Critical Issues

Who actually decides what is a critical issue?

For me, for example, it is critical if the “nightly zwave heal” does not work. Or if my Philips Hue dimmer and Tap switches events will not work.

They are still NOT SOLVED since 2.5.0.M1 or 2.5.0.M2.

See here:

Z-Wave heal:

Philips Hue (Dimmer and Tap Switches):

Do you seriously want to tell people that a stable release somehow works, but you better should disable the nightly zwave heal. And all your Hue Dimmer Switches and expensive Tap Switches will not work? Well then…

In the documentation, it is promoted or proclaimed that this works, actually since 18th January 2019 (Hue) and since mid-May 2019 (Zwave heal) they do no longer work. Then please change the documentation. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

I am absolutely on Celaeno1 side.

My primary device to control everything in the house are the cheap philips hue dimmer switches. If they are not going to work i won’t be able to migrate to 2.5. However as i am not capable of contributing code to the project. I tried to make clear that i got the same issue on this forum as well as on github.

I can understand the decision of cweitkamp who did the last change in the hue binding and doesn’t use the dimmer switches anymore, as it is his free time that he is contributing to this project.

However my conclusion for this is to move to another meta smart home controller like hass.io or nodered which still supports my hardware as i won’t have any other choice than that.

If there is anything else except for contributing code what i can do i am absolutely willing to pay 50€ to get the support of the dimmer switches back, however i don’t think that this won’t be a acceptable price as the development will take more than half an hour for the contributor.

Cheers

Andreas

1 Like

my Philips Hue dimmer and Tap switches events will not work.

Sorry if this is maybe a stupid question, but did anybody ever file a bug report about this?
Looking at https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/issues?utf8=✓&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+hue+dimmer, I cannot see anything related…

I can understand the decision of cweitkamp who did the last change in the hue binding and doesn’t use the dimmer switches anymore

You mean @cweitkamp broke the code and decided to not fix it, because the feature isn’t relevant for him? From all I know about his work over the past years, I cannot believe this…

2 Likes

@Kai

Please read this:

I very well appreciate all the work of Christoph. Thanks a lot. :slight_smile: But unfortunately above is true.

One issue is filed here:

Which is unrelated to the hue binding itself and which does not seem to be reproducible…
But there’s no issue entered over all these months about the hue binding?

27 posts were split to a new topic: Handling and responsibilities in bug tracking

The MQTT problem seems to got sorted out by us with the help of @J-N-K. He will also create a PR for it.

3 Likes

Strange, i have this issue since M6 (still existing in RC1), i need to go back to M5 to get mqtt updates again.

MQTT Not working.
Just to help those with this issue it has been opened on github here

and here.

I have reverted back for the moment with

sudo apt install openhab2=2.5.0~M6-1

cleared the cache and restarted.

@David_deMarco Does that mean that the fix is not working for you?

Hi JNK
Have not applied the fix as could not find clear info on how to apply it. Happy to apply and test if you can point me in the right direction. Confirm stable on M6 (I’ll update the post above)

Same to me, as well with Mosquitto.
all commandTopics works fine, but none of the stateTopics.

You can find the instructions on the GitHub issue you’ve linked:

Please update the “openHAB Core :: Bundles :: MQTT Transport” bundle with https://janessa.me/esh/org.openhab.core.io.transport.mqtt-2.5.0-fs.jar this one and report back. Instructions https://janessa.me/esh. option 2.

4 Likes

Somehow I have 2 MQTT transport bundles:

262 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.5.0.RC1                │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: MQTT Transport
269 │ Active   │  80 │ 1.14.0.RC1               │ openHAB MQTT Transport Bundle

I’ve deleted the 1.14 and upgraded the other one to 2.5.0.201912101757.

So far everything seems OK. Maybe this was the cause of my MQTT issues I experienced with M6.

MQTT: For me only topics that are retained do not work. But normal ones work fine.

It looks like you had MQTT21 & MQTTv2 both installed

What exactly is not working? Please provide debug logs (or better trace).

1 Like

@David_deMarco linked an issue that was already merged. I’ll wait when next snapshot be out and will retest. For me only part of subscriptions were not working for some reason. No idea why.

This issue has been resolved by upgrading to the latest stable version.

Thanks @rkrisi I missed that bit (jetlag and system upgrade not good idea). Full steps in one place to help others given MQTT is used so much now. (updated with improved karaf command)

sudo systemctl stop openhab2
sudo sudo openhab-cli clean-cache
sudo systemctl start openhab2

Confirmed here that MQTT state updates now failing.

Open the Karaf console:

openhab-cli console
bundle:update org.openhab.core.io.transport.mqtt https://janessa.me/esh/org.openhab.core.io.transport.mqtt-2.5.0-fs.jar
logout

restart openhab - do not clear the cache

sudo systemctl restart openhab2

Confirmed that MQTT states are now working again - Can’t comment on retained messages. Note I also had some suspect issues with openhab-cli not stopping Openhab so playing it safe here.

thanks @J-N-K for prompt fix

Update: I had to reboot my rpi3 and the connection to the MQTT Broker failed with

OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedNoRouteToHostException: No route to host: /10.88.87.180:1883

A manual stop and start of openhab resolved the issue.

1 Like

There is an issue with usb-serial devices on RC1 as reported by @Andrew_Rowe, @davorf and I experienced it on Windows 10 and Raspberry PI (using openhabian 1.5): the serial items (zwave controller and RFXcom for me) keeps reinitializing on openhab level, it is fine on the command line (using lsusb, dmesg etc…). It was causing very high memory and cpu usage and even using swap, the pi was unusable after a few hours.

Switching to latest snapshot, for me it is 1774, fixes the issue

1 Like